Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters
Nice to have confirmation that giving up black and white was part of the agreement that seen Port Adelaide gain an AFL licence. ie. Port Adelaide agreed to it and their AFL licence is contingent on it. If they didn't like that deal they shouldn't have signed up to it. Personally don't like PA wearing black and white in the AFL even for a one off or odd game, but 2 games for 2020 only is a hell of a lot better than what was pushed for. In terms of McGuire/Collingwood getting their way, it's clear from McLachlan's comments that Collingwood actually allowed these 2 games to happen despite having the legal right to block it completely.

Gillon McLachlan confirming an agreement had been reached with the two clubs for 2020.

“(It’s) part of the Port Adelaide licensing agreement, they were coming into the competition that had a club with black and white stripes, that was the agreement entered in to and brokered with Collingwood,” he explained

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Nice to have confirmation that giving up black and white was part of the agreement that seen Port Adelaide gain an AFL licence. ie. Port Adelaide agreed to it and their AFL licence is contingent on it. If they didn't like that deal they shouldn't have signed up to it. Personally don't like PA wearing black and white in the AFL even for a one off or odd game, but 2 games for 2020 only is a hell of a lot better than what was pushed for. In terms of McGuire/Collingwood getting their way, it's clear from McLachlan's comments that Collingwood actually allowed these 2 games to happen despite having the legal right to block it completely.
...we haven't actually seen this agreement, ever.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I dunno, just let Port Adelaide wear the Prison Bars for all games in South Australia, something else in Victoria (the current home, the 04 Premiership jumper, the SBS?), then the blue hooped style (potentially with teal instead of light blue?) as a clash.
I'd rather wear the bars against a real club like Carlton or Richmond than in showdowns anyway. We should be able to show who we are wherever we are.

Could not give a * about the pre-'bars jumpers.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Nope, and while McLachlan can at times speak off cuff those comments are closest we've came.
We've also heard McGuire say "this is the only time they'll be allowed to wear black and white" about 5 times now. It doesn't matter anyway. An alleged agreement made in the mid 90s warrants revisiting and revising given the fact that Port have worn the prison bar jumper several times in the AFL, none of which have impacted Collingwood's brand. It's time we had an honest look at the fact that both the Port Adelaide Power in black and white prison bars and the Collingwood Magpies in black and white stripes can co-exist.

We've also heard McGuire say "this is the only time they'll be allowed to wear black and white" about 5 times now. It doesn't matter anyway. An alleged agreement made in the mid 90s warrants revisiting and revising given the fact that Port have worn the prison bar jumper several times in the AFL, none of which have impacted Collingwood's brand. It's time we had an honest look at the fact that both the Port Adelaide Power in black and white prison bars and the Collingwood Magpies in black and white stripes can co-exist.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you and me are never going to agree in respect to who can wear black and white in the AFL.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Surely if they wanted to celebrate 150 years, they’d wear their jumper from 150 years ago...

I just wonder if Port signed the agreement then hoped they’d push the AFL and Collingwood around after a couple of years. Trouble was, Eddie became president! Port Power the AFL club wear teal, the Port Adelaide Magpies wear Black and White in a separate competition, one day Port fans will realise this, maybe...

Citing soccer is ridiculous, I’ll see highlights and have NFI who’s playing, there is no identity. Of course EPL has clashes, there aren’t 92 different colour combinations out there!!! Plus clubs move up and down, Port Adelaide Magpies were not entered into the AFL and they never would have been. Celebrate your history and accept the Power will never wear B&W stripes regularly

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Surely if they wanted to celebrate 150 years, they’d wear their jumper from 150 years ago...

I just wonder if Port signed the agreement then hoped they’d push the AFL and Collingwood around after a couple of years. Trouble was, Eddie became president! Port Power the AFL club wear teal, the Port Adelaide Magpies wear Black and White in a separate competition, one day Port fans will realise this, maybe...

Citing soccer is ridiculous, I’ll see highlights and have NFI who’s playing, there is no identity. Of course EPL has clashes, there aren’t 92 different colour combinations out there!!! Plus clubs move up and down, Port Adelaide Magpies were not entered into the AFL and they never would have been. Celebrate your history and accept the Power will never wear B&W stripes regularly
Yes, surely if we wanted to celebrate 150 years of existence we'd do so by wearing a jumper we wore for 6 of those years. Incredible reasoning chief. "Celebrate your history", but not by actually celebrating your history.

*s sake.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

Do not kid yourself pal. In 2014 when it suited the AFL Port were allowed to wear black and white against Richmond in the Elimination Final. No need for Eddie's approval on that occasion, no reference to any AFL entry agreements either. The fact was the AFL stuffed up yet again by insisting that Richmond wear their home strip in an away final which of course meant the home team had to wear an away strip. When it suits those tossers at AFL house all rules and agreements go out the window.

By the way the Port Adelaide AFL Licence agreement does not have any stipulation that Port cannot wear black & white. It contains reference to the Clubs registered AFL colours which are Black, White Teal and Silver. The approval to wear black & white was a separate agreement signed by Don McAllister and Greg Boulton and was agreed to between the Port Adelaide and Collingwood Football Clubs. Under it's constitution the AFL has the right to veto any 'sweetheart agreements' between Clubs. Given the speed with which the decision was made and McGuire's opposition to another club wearing black and white I suspect the AFL exercised this right in 2014.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

It isn't a question of not wearing the black & white regularly it is more a question of being forced to seek Eddie McGuire's permission to wear a guernsey we won 36 premierships in. We are talking about the AFL, who are supposed to be running the show, making the decisions. I am happy to wear the Bin B (black, white and teal) guernsey for regular games and save the black & white for special occasions but I do not see that the question as to what constitutes a 'special occasion' should be decided by another club.

As I posted in my previous post the AFL have the power to make a decision when they need to so why not leave it to them anyway?

Some great players have won Premierships wearing Port's black & white guernsey.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
I dunno, just let Port Adelaide wear the Prison Bars for all games in South Australia, something else in Victoria (the current home, the 04 Premiership jumper, the SBS?), then the blue hooped style (potentially with teal instead of light blue?) as a clash.
That's probably not a bad idea. I mean, in all my years I never once saw West Coast in their tri-panel because it was a Perth thing.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Allowing any club to dictate what another club wears is essentially saying "all clubs are equal, but some are more equal than others". Collingwood are not the golden child, their opinion should not carry more weight than Port's, no matter how much the great windbag Eddie blathers on.

And I don't care what the terms of Port's AFL entry were. West Coast's terms of entry obliged them to pay every other club's airfares to WA, but they don't do that anymore. Are people going on about the sanctity of an agreement in regards to that?

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Nope, and while McLachlan can at times speak off cuff those comments are closest we've came.

On the Port board we're now convinced that there is nothing in writing because it's been talked about every single time we've asked to wear the bars but nobody can produce this agreement or tell us specifically what it says. It clearly doesn't say "Port will never wear the bars at AFL level" because we're about to wear them for the 5th and 6th time. It clearly doesn't say that teal must feature in every Port guernsey because our current away doesn't have teal on it.

What does it say? I'd suggest it probably simply doesn't exist and even if it did, it could be changed on the whim of the AFL.

Do you celebrate your birthdays by reminiscing about the time you spent being pushed out of your mother's baby cannon, or do you celebrate your life?

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How much legal trouble would port get in if they just turned up in the PBs one day? I'm assuming that there's an actual contract stipulating that Collingwood have control over its use, which sucks. It's an iconic jumper.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
How much legal trouble would port get in if they just turned up in the PBs one day? I'm assuming that there's an actual contract stipulating that Collingwood have control over its use, which sucks. It's an iconic jumper.

I could well be wrong, but I’d be stunned if there is a signed agreement between Port and Collingwood. There has never been been one presented in public by either side, and Eddie would do so if he really wanted to prove his point. The only signed documents will be from Port’s initial entry which would state something like their official colours are X and their uniform will be Y. I strongly doubt there is a specific clause in there to say they won’t wear the prison bars or that they have to ask Collingwood’s permission to do so.

If they just wore it anyway I reckon the worst that would happen is they’d get fined by the AFL. Last I recall was $10K per player in incorrect uniform, so that would be a $220K fine for any game they do so.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I'm assuming that there's an actual contract stipulating that Collingwood have control over its use, which sucks. It's an iconic jumper.
If Glenelg joined the AFL in 2020 and wanted to retain its current jumper, do you seriously think Richmond would have no issues with this?

If Glenelg joined the AFL in 2020 and wanted to retain its current jumper, do you seriously think Richmond would have no issues with this?
Carn, its more like Glenelg trying to use this as their jumper, something in the same colours but a differing design.

Attachments

• 5B4EF982-A489-448B-B7DE-86FCCCE68248.png
    5B4EF982-A489-448B-B7DE-86FCCCE68248.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 86

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The difference being, Glenelg's jumper is almost exactly the same as Richmond's, whereas the PB is only similar to Collingwood's stripes.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The difference being, Glenelg's jumper is almost exactly the same as Richmond's, whereas the PB is only similar to Collingwood's stripes.

The PB is very similar to Coll kit. I believe that as part of the licensing deal with afl was that they would not use the colours of black and white and not to be called the magpies. I do realise that there is a history of being in the PB and playing in sanfl, but other then for historical reasons (such as major anniversaries and heritage rounds etc.) I don’t think there is a good reason for port to use the pb or picking up any other aspect of the old sanfl side. If anything, and port decide they want to do something more historical from the pre-afl existence, I think they should pick up the hoops as a clash kit (which would be a lot better then the white alternate that they have been using)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The PB is very similar to Coll kit. I believe that as part of the licensing deal with afl was that they would not use the colours of black and white and not to be called the magpies. I do realise that there is a history of being in the PB and playing in sanfl, but other then for historical reasons (such as major anniversaries and heritage rounds etc.) I don’t think there is a good reason for port to use the pb or picking up any other aspect of the old sanfl side. If anything, and port decide they want to do something more historical from the pre-afl existence, I think they should pick up the hoops as a clash kit (which would be a lot better then the white alternate that they have been using)
But it's still different to Richmond and Glenelg both having black with a yellow sash...one is b&w stripes, the other is black with a white design element.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
But it's still different to Richmond and Glenelg both having black with a yellow sash...one is b&w stripes, the other is black with a white design element.

Yes Glenelg and Richmond are both essentially the same, same as Norwood and Essendon. But if you look at the photos of the PB kit it is more that 3/4 the same, with the only difference is the positioning of the stripes and when the stripes start.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Yes Glenelg and Richmond are both essentially the same, same as Norwood and Essendon. But if you look at the photos of the PB kit it is more that 3/4 the same, with the only difference is the positioning of the stripes and when the stripes start.
Norwood = Melbourne without the red yoke.

Similar, but not the same.

Glenelg == Richmond
PB =/= Collingwood.

Back