Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of these debates are great - but you aren't going to sway eachother.

To sum up;

Collingwood fans love their club and like the unique-ness of their jersey in the AFL. Generally, they agree that Port should have prison bars in some form but not regularly because they feel the black and white stripes represent their club and that they should have the stripes as their unique look.

Port fans love the history and significance that the PB represents and would like that history represented in the AFL, but want it exactly "as is". Unfortunately, this aspect Collingwood, the club and fans, and the AFL do not agree with. Port have no real intention of being known as the "Magpies", as their identity is actually Port Adelaide Football Club and the "power" moniker is not really what represents the club, but instead "Port" or "Pear".

Realistically this is becoming less of a debate and more of a "nuh-uh, you're wrong" kinda thing, which is always a valid argument and 30% of the time works every time.

Seems to be a lot of reverence for the original Port AFL home jumper. Whilst I can see where that comes from to an extent (it is after all a jumper the team won a flag wearing), I've always thought it to be massively campy & full of 90's trendy crap, even when I first saw it as a kid in '97. The diagonal lines (thunder bolts?) being uneven & crooked in relation to one another always annoyed me lol.

Both the 1997 away jumper & pre-season jumper were superior designs imo.

I remember thinking 25 years ago that the one on the right was by far the best footy jumper, and I still think that... big, strong bold blocks of colour and a simple design always works best.

1620199880038.png

I remember thinking 25 years ago that the one on the right was by far the best footy jumper, and I still think that... big, strong bold blocks of colour and a simple design always works best.

View attachment 1119221

We were such a 90s club back in the day.

You know, I can't help but wonder.

Imagine if the Crows had gone by their original Adelaide Sharks moniker and went with the blue green and white jumper that was planned.

Port might've gone full heritage and whipped out some Magenta kits for their entry into the AFL.

Magenta Prison Bars anyone?

You know, I can't help but wonder.

Imagine if the Crows had gone by their original Adelaide Sharks moniker and went with the blue green and white jumper that was planned.

Port might've gone full heritage and whipped out some Magenta kits for their entry into the AFL.

Magenta Prison Bars anyone?
Bring it back!

1620203430130.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t find it rn but I remember someone on this site did a version of this with an angled coastline and a white base. It had big West Germany vibes and looked schmick.
That’d be aCunningPlan , got nominated for design of the year whenit was posted, if I was on my laptop I’d be able to find it easily.

That’d be aCunningPlan , got nominated for design of the year whenit was posted, if I was on my laptop I’d be able to find it easily.
Won DOTY actually. Possibly my favourite design I've seen on the board.

I really don't understand the massive objection to teal bars on black. It looks good and is just so unmistakably Port Adelaide from an identity point of view.

I understand Port supporters unilaterally want the black and white bars but it's simply not going to happen. When realise that, the teal bars are a great option.

View attachment 1119096

If you don't think that's a faithful symbol of Port Adelaide - both in their SANFL and AFL guises - then I don't know what you're looking at. It's unmistakably Port Adelaide.
It's a great compromise 'Bunk' but of course, Port wants its own way. So used to being the small pond bully. Anyway, all this interesting chatter is irrelevant really. The AFL has made its ruling and that's final. If only Port hadn't been such smarty arses asking for both Showdowns. Collingwood probably would have said 'yes' to the Home Showdown, Adelaide prison Bars.png as it has to previous legitimate requests; last years 150th for example.
Eddie presented this Adelaide Showdown jumper tonight on #footyclassified. I love it! :p

Collingwood probably would have said 'yes' to the Home Showdown, as it has to previous legitimate requests; last years 150th for example.

This just simply isn't true though. Even the approval of the 150th had Eddie pushing hard that we never request to wear it again as part of the deal.

We've had several very legitimate heritage specific requests knocked back in the past, including several heritage rounds and the 100th anniversary of our 1914 undefeated champions of Australia season.

The reason we're now taking the current attitude towards it is because asking nicely and meekly accepting being told no has gotten us absolutely nowhere. All of a sudden an issue that means a lot to us has gotten a week and a half of national press and the club has been able to take a strong stance on it on behalf of the members.

It's a great compromise 'Bunk' but of course, Port wants its own way. So used to being the small pond bully. Anyway, all this interesting chatter is irrelevant really. The AFL has made its ruling and that's final. If only Port hadn't been such smarty arses asking for both Showdowns. Collingwood probably would have said 'yes' to the Home Showdown,View attachment 1119460 as it has to previous legitimate requests; last years 150th for example.
Eddie presented this Adelaide Showdown jumper tonight on #footyclassified. I love it! :p
Weak troll attempt lol, not biting on this one.

Back