Secondary Private vs Public

Remove this Banner Ad

Public primary school
Private high school

Loved them both

Any school with a good reputation

Public schools are great. They help to instill a sense of independence in you rather than spoon feeding you & your education as Private Schools do (my brother goes to one). From Day 1 you're given responsibility of your own education.

Top post. Agree 100% :thumbsu:

Generally it seems that the most highly gifted, self-motivated students, because of their talent, go to private schools, or selective schools such as Melbourne High. I don't know why a family would shell out $100,000+ for 6 years at a top private school when chances are that student would get a similar result at a state school for much less money, whilst learning and studying independently as opposed to being spoonfed.

Public
Public
Public

I go to Box Hill High, which is a part selective and part zoned school. As long as you dont go to a terrible public high school (ie Wantirna College, Scoresby High and the like) they will be fine. If you send your kid to a selective school like MHS and BHHS they still may be given the "if your not going to get good grades, get out" treatment much like some private high schools my friends have gone to. There will be HUGE waiting lists for selective high schools so if you send your child to one, be confident they won't begin to slack off or else they will definitely be moved.

Generally it seems that the most highly gifted, self-motivated students, because of their talent, go to private schools, or selective schools such as Melbourne High. I don't know why a family would shell out $100,000+ for 6 years at a top private school when chances are that student would get a similar result at a state school for much less money, whilst learning and studying independently as opposed to being spoonfed.

What do mean by a similiar result? If you are talking acdemically, you are way off the mark. With the exception of the scholarship schools and a handfull of public schools, their academic performance isn't in the smae stratosphere as private schools. Sorry, that is simply the facts which back me up.

it just seems to me that a lot of people who send their kids to public like to continually talk up how good it is and run down private schools( eg why spend 100,000 grand).

And of course, every private school student is spponfed and every public school child is "independent"! Give me a break! Talk about generalisations.

Do you reckon they are spoonfed at Melbourne high?

What do mean by a similiar result? If you are talking acdemically, you are way off the mark. With the exception of the scholarship schools and a handfull of public schools, their academic performance isn't in the smae stratosphere as private schools. Sorry, that is simply the facts which back me up.

it just seems to me that a lot of people who send their kids to public like to continually talk up how good it is and run down private schools( eg why spend 100,000 grand).

And of course, every private school student is spponfed and every public school child is "independent"! Give me a break! Talk about generalisations.

Do you reckon they are spoonfed at Melbourne high?

I agree, with private schools you are paying for the facilities, nothing more, nothing less. Although the amount spent on the schools are ridiculous, My friends school has approximately 20 school ovals:eek:

I agree, with private schools you are paying for the facilities, nothing more, nothing less. Although the amount spent on the schools are ridiculous, My friends school has approximately 20 school ovals:eek:

What?

You don't agree, i said nothing of the sorts. I was making the point that public schols are inferior academically and that it's participants seem to want to run down private schools.

Public years 7 and 8/ Private 9-12
Private
Private

I went to one of the better public schools early on, but since I changed to a private school, I've noticed a huge change in the expectations and the attitudes of the teachers.

Went to a great public Primary School. Moved to Private in Year 7 despite living in the zone of one of Vics best Public High Schools. Currently in Year 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll assume you went to one of the worst. The best is Melbourne High. Hardly public though as they are a purely selective school...

I go to Glen Waverley Secondary College actually. Usually ranked as one of the two best state schools in Victoria :p

1) Melbourne High
2) Melbourne High
3) Melbourne High

It's just a great Private/Public hybrid.
There are no annoying rich preppy kids who drop out of school because they're so awesome and I'm loving it.

and just on '"if your not going to get good grades, get out"'
MHS is generally quite lenient, it's just terrible grades that they shun and try to get out.

The void is very much overrated.
I chose to go to a public school, and have not regretted it since.
The difference is that private scools make you study, whereas public schools encourage independent learning, and as such, have those without motivation dragging them down. As a result public school leavers tend to perform better at uni because of this experience as an independent learner.
The assumption that going to a private school will make you get good marks is bogus.
I know a guy who went to WA's most expensive private school for 10 years, only to finish with the lowest TER possible. I also know a girl who went to the third 'best' school in the state, finishing 3 years ago, and is now a stripper.
My school outperforms 72 of the 79 private schools in WA, with the schools above us all taking a "if you're not going to do well, please leave" policy.
Overall, if you are naturally intelligent and are willing to put in a bit of effort, the school you go to is largely irrelevant.
$10 000 per year is sure as hell not worth it, neither is regimentation, forced extra curricular activites and shitty uniforms.

What you say there is so true.

Which do/did you go to?
Primary - Public
High school- Private & Public

Which do you prefer?
I have a preference for public, as there is less emphasis on school uniforms, religous education, hefty school fees

Which do/will/did you send your kids to?
This is a good question, think I might send them to both private and public.

I know there are alot of public schools >>> coed private schools

But I think the overall trend with single sex schools is they always have these extra curricular activities, and the students are more consistently perform well as a group.

Quite an even pole...

steel-pole-4.jpg

'Tis.

Private schools are so overrated. The main reason they achieve better results overall is the fact that because they're private there's a filtering system meaning only half decent and above kids get in, as well as families that can afford it.

Private.
Private.
Private.

And it's not even close.

I'd much rather pay to send my kids to Scotch/MGS/GGS than send them to MHS/MacRob for free.

If life was about VCE scores I'd probably send them to the latter, but there are so many intangibles involved that make private so much better.

Which did I go to? Public in both Primary and Secondary
Which do i prefer? Idk as I have never been to private
Which would I send my kids to? Not sure, I would just look at all the local and ones and see which one I think suits the child best
Pubic Schools are fine. I just went to the local one and am now at uni

Private.
Private.
Private.

And it's not even close.

I'd much rather pay to send my kids to Scotch/MGS/GGS than send them to MHS/MacRob for free.

If life was about VCE scores I'd probably send them to the latter, but there are so many intangibles involved that make private so much better.

Such as?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back