QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I have dealt with them this year with my young bloke who is at the elite level for a different sport and I felt they took the easy option.

Yes, the level 2 stuff was pretty poor from where I was sitting. I'm not some whinging parent either, my young bloke got cut and rightfully so. Injured/sick, rarely got to training etc and also even at full tilt, probably not close to best 30 from what I saw, so absolutely no drama with him getting cut. However, I saw the final squad, and there are kids still there that boggle the mind. I could find 30 kids not even in the original 70 better than some of the kids in the final 30, it was laughable. Don't seem to watch club footy much, and what school or club you;re at and where some coaches are from might be a better indicator.

Not the end of the world though, the school talent system even worse and to be fair they get it 'mostly' right when it comes up to the Level 3 stuff, which is really all that matters - and gotta remember, talent is still subjective when you're dealing with the best of the best.

Yeah I think the fee side of things is questionable too - should be a cursory amount I reckon like $100. My experience with the SC arm has been really good bc I think the guy who runs it watches heaps of games and makes good decisions. Overall I think both academies are pretty good and we actually churn out a reasonable number of AFL footballers considering the participation numbers
Are we still pulling out the developing AFL state card?

No doubting the Academies have a difficult task with the tyranny of distance from the 12 Vic TAC Cup teams and also the competing codes up here but the Academies surely are judged on number of graduates that get drafted each year. I am happy to be proven wrong by stats that anyone wants to provide but as far I see it that number doesn’t have an upward trajectory since their inception some 12-13 years ago.

You mentioned yourself stats about draftees for Dragons. When will it be time to compare stats? I want QLD footy to be as successful as anybody else does on this forum. But let’s drop the out cards.

My Inconsequential Tips for Round 8

Labrador
Maroochydore
Mt Gravatt
Aspley
Broadbeach
Surfers Paradise

Tasmania's recent history history at the draft suggests they are miles off the pace tbf. A ridiculous stat came out saying 17% of all AFL listed players are from the Sandringham Dragons (an inflated stat mind you as many of these boys are boarders at local private schools out of Riverina area) and Tasmanians account for 2%
l'm tipping an exciting AFL Club will be on its knees by the time Tazy enter & will be relocated there like the Fitzroy scenario.
The ' Tazy Roos ' Coached by Nathan Buckley with a successor beside him

See one Nathan Ablett is playing for Balranald in the Central Murray league. That comp has Lake Boga in it where Matt Payne , Jacob Simpson ,Jake Warren etc are playing . Balranald defeated Lake Boga last saturday . Balranald also have Merv Neagles 3 sons playing for them ,,all very good players.
More news from thos comp is Tyntalder have Jason Eagle playing for them ,, he would have to be close to 40 now .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubting the Academies have a difficult task with the tyranny of distance from the 12 Vic TAC Cup teams and also the competing codes up here but the Academies surely are judged on number of graduates that get drafted each year. I am happy to be proven wrong by stats that anyone wants to provide but as far I see it that number doesn’t have an upward trajectory since their inception some 12-13 years ago.

You mentioned yourself stats about draftees for Dragons. When will it be time to compare stats? I want QLD footy to be as successful as anybody else does on this forum. But let’s drop the out cards.

should have 2 key metrics

1. Get kids drafted
2. Improve standard of local footy by upskilling kids that don't get drafted who go back into local footy as better players

Failing dismally on both fronts, in fact probably going worse that #2 than they are at #1, which is pretty hard given how bad #1 is going.

should have 2 key metrics

1. Get kids drafted
2. Improve standard of local footy by upskilling kids that don't get drafted who go back into local footy as better players

Failing dismally on both fronts, in fact probably going worse that #2 than they are at #1, which is pretty hard given how bad #1 is going.

Not a fan clearly Miller 😂

yea disagree LB - bottom line is we are a developmental state still imo. The numbers show this. Our draft numbers are easily the best of the 2nd tier states in any case.
The Dragons stat is an outlier - cushioned by players parachuted in from other areas. Think both academies do a pretty good job in the main.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back