QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is this week's time-waster:

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Aspley V Noosa
Played 2: Aspley 1 win - Noosa 1
It looks bereft of any history at all – but these two teams have been competing against each other from 1993 to 2008 in various other Senior leagues. Off the top of my head, they have met in at least one Grand Final: BAFL First Division 1997, Noosa defeating Aspley by a slim margin.

Wilston Grange V Maroochydore
Played 10: Wilston Grange 5 – Maroochydore 5
The listed results are since 2011 (the start of the NEAFL era). It took a while for the two clubs to cross paths: Maroochydore promoted to QSFL in 1998, leaving the BAFL at the same time as Grange was elevated to First Division. They eventually met up with clashes from 2005 to 2010.

Mt Gravatt V Morningside
Played 72: Mt Gravatt 30 – Morningside 41 – Draw 1
The most prolific contest at QAFL level for this Round – and still, it only began in 1994. Prior to that, the two clubs did not clash for premiership points in any Senior grade.

Broadbeach V Redland
Played 36: Broadbeach 19 – Redland 16 – Draw 1
Competing since 2000 when Redland was promoted to QSFL. A close record, & a tough game to tip.

Surfers Paradise V Sherwood
Played 21: Surfers Paradise 8 - Sherwood 13
Another clash where the two clubs struggled to be in the same competition concurrently. I assume that Surfers & Sherwood would have met in 1998 & 1999 in the GCAFL, and this continued in the AFLSQ Premier Division in 2000. After that, they had a brief period of contests from 2005 to 2008 in the AFLQ Div 2.

Palm Beach Currumbin V Labrador
Played 23: Palm Beach Currumbin 11 – Labrador 12
I could try to tell you that these two clubs have a close, but short, history as the results above are only since 2014. The reality is much different. Labrador was promoted to the QSFL in 1997 which disrupted the contest – but prior to that, Palm Beach and Labrador have been battling it out for at least three decades (1965 to 1996). Wouldn’t it be great to get these results documented too!

Personally, Aspley V Noosa holds the most interest for me this week, purely because of the BAFL legacy.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Aspley V Noosa
It looks bereft of any history at all – but these two teams have been competing against each other from 1993 to 2008 in various other Senior leagues. Off the top of my head, they have met in at least one Grand Final: BAFL First Division 1997, Noosa defeating Aspley by a slim margin.

The listed results are since 2011 (the start of the NEAFL era). It took a while for the two clubs to cross paths: Maroochydore promoted to QSFL in 1998, leaving the BAFL at the same time as Grange was elevated to First Division. They eventually met up with clashes from 2005 to 2010.

Mt Gravatt V Morningside
The most prolific contest at QAFL level for this Round – and still, it only began in 1994. Prior to that, the two clubs did not clash for premiership points in any Senior grade.

Broadbeach V Redland
Competing since 2000 when Redland was promoted to QSFL. A close record, & a tough game to tip.

Another clash where the two clubs struggled to be in the same competition concurrently. I assume that Surfers & Sherwood would have met in 1998 & 1999 in the GCAFL, and this continued in the AFLSQ Premier Division in 2000. After that, they had a brief period of contests from 2005 to 2008 in the AFLQ Div 2.

I could try to tell you that these two clubs have a close, but short, history as the results above are only since 2014. The reality is much different. Labrador was promoted to the QSFL in 1997 which disrupted the contest – but prior to that, Palm Beach and Labrador have been battling it out for at least three decades (1965 to 1996). Wouldn’t it be great to get these results documented too!

Personally, Aspley V Noosa holds the most interest for me this week, purely because of the BAFL legacy.

Vultures vs Panthers has a signficant history Mt Gravatt's home game is usually dedicated to Fergus Reid and the Vultures grow an extra leg no matter how badly they are going

Aspley V Noosa

Mt Gravatt V Morningside

Broadbeach V Redland

Yes Toucan we got Aspley by about 8 points I think after trailing by 37 points at one stage.Pretty sure tomorrows result will be no where near as close but be very happy if it was.Tigers pretty decimated with injury and unavailabilities this week!
Bloody splendour!😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back