QFA Div 4&5

Remove this Banner Ad

What does 2 team or 3 team club have to do with anything?

Well if the 1 team clubs play each other would it stop them beating up on clubs with 3 teams?

What I'm saying here is there are senior teams playing 3rds teams. Would that stop everyone complaining if we split the comps up that way?

Personally I don't care as a kick is a kick on a Friday night

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well if the 1 team clubs play each other would it stop them beating up on clubs with 3 teams?

What I'm saying here is there are senior teams playing 3rds teams. Would that stop everyone complaining if we split the comps up that way?

Personally I don't care as a kick is a kick on a Friday night

But I didn't see you get a kick last night...

As a player who has played in this comp for 7 plus years and went through the years of 5 or 6 team comps. It's disappointing to be in that situation again. Playing the same team 4 times in one year is not my idea of fun.

It is what is this year. So be it. But why couldn't we have had 2 final series of a top 5 and bottom 5. Gives all teams motivation throughout the year without the competition been so repetitive.

Mate I could see you. I'm the size of a house and your bigger than our scoreboard...

I have grown quite fond of the XL jumper and 2XL Eddie betts inspired shorts thank you very much!

Being serious though what are the official measurements of the oval? As I said earlier I don't think you will drop a game there this year as you guys play the space well. It's a clear advantage.

I have grown quite fond of the XL jumper and 2XL Eddie betts inspired shorts thank you very much!

Being serious though what are the official measurements of the oval? As I said earlier I don't think you will drop a game there this year as you guys play the space well. It's a clear advantage.

I'm a 2xl all round mate! I walked the boundary before pre season with a trundle wheel and it's 472 around

Big field not suit to 2 XL sized athletes

As the Roosters Friday night coach I've come to realise this league (Div 5) is strong, and after playing Ferny Grove and Jindalee we are well aware of where we sit. We currently select those who are unavailable Saturday and those that have missed out on a reserves game. Given the tough opposition we've faced so far and basically playing the respective club's senior side I couldn't be prouder of our lads. We'll keep at it, our boys are keen and enjoy the challenge and intend to keep improving. Unfortunately this league is superior to reserves level, and would give the majority of Div 3 senior sides a shake in my humble opinion. I agree with Watto with his structure idea, but it will only works with more clubs requiring a "3rds" side. From what I've heard there are plenty of Div 2 and 3 sides struggling to fill their reserves.

So next year if a club like Sandgate or UQ for example lose a few players, decide that they aren't confident of being competitive every week, even after a decent year this year, they should be able to just say to AFLQ, "we want to play in Div 5 and be able to win games"?
Worked for Kedron. Play finals then dropped 2 divisions cos they lost a few players.

Upon review why don't we make it the one team clubs have div 4 and the clubs with 3 teams play in div5. Would that look better?
Thinking out loud here

Wouldn't work.

Look at Sandgate; their 3rds would beat their 2s by 15 goals.

Just leave the comp as it was and let it grow organically. 14 teams would have been a quality comp. From what I've seen, the better Div 5 sides would all be very competitive with everyone in Div 4.

Only last year we had to fight tooth & nail for a spot in the finals and were under pressure for the last 6 rounds with 'must win' matches.

I know only 2 points and percentage separated 5th to 7th as well.

Exciting footy.

Colly Park, Jindalee, Ferny etc would all be ecru chance of finals in a combined league, even premiership chances. We lost to the power only a month ago.

Yeronga were grand finalists only 3 seasons ago. Just have to accept that sine years teams will be weak.

I'm sure the Cats and Moorooka don't care what colour the jumper is of who is belting them.

Splitting to 3rds or Seniors doesn't work. 4 out of 6 teams in Div 4 are 3rds teams. Being 3rds doesn't mean you are definitely going to be worse than a senior side - just a reflection of the strength of the parent club.

Wouldn't work.

Look at Sandgate; their 3rds would beat their 2s by 15 goals.

Just leave the comp as it was and let it grow organically. 14 teams would have been a quality comp. From what I've seen, the better Div 5 sides would all be very competitive with everyone in Div 4.

Only last year we had to fight tooth & nail for a spot in the finals and were under pressure for the last 6 rounds with 'must win' matches.

I know only 2 points and percentage separated 5th to 7th as well.

Exciting footy.

Colly Park, Jindalee, Ferny etc would all be ecru chance of finals in a combined league, even premiership chances. We lost to the power only a month ago.

Yeronga were grand finalists only 3 seasons ago. Just have to accept that sine years teams will be weak.

I'm sure the Cats and Moorooka don't care what colour the jumper is of who is belting them.

Splitting to 3rds or Seniors doesn't work. 4 out of 6 teams in Div 4 are 3rds teams. Being 3rds doesn't mean you are definitely going to be worse than a senior side - just a reflection of the strength of the parent club.

Most 3rds are almost run as their own team any ways. Different training nights, players who really only want to play for the Friday nights and 3's teams don't reflect how well the 2 senior sides are going generally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.

This is our first time in a decade going back to being official 3s.

We train seperately (sometimes with the colts) and guys that miss out on 2s are not playing with us. We do push players up to the 2s though, more often than previously

As the Roosters Friday night coach I've come to realise this league (Div 5) is strong, and after playing Ferny Grove and Jindalee we are well aware of where we sit. We currently select those who are unavailable Saturday and those that have missed out on a reserves game. Given the tough opposition we've faced so far and basically playing the respective club's senior side I couldn't be prouder of our lads. We'll keep at it, our boys are keen and enjoy the challenge and intend to keep improving. Unfortunately this league is superior to reserves level, and would give the majority of Div 3 senior sides a shake in my humble opinion. I agree with Watto with his structure idea, but it will only works with more clubs requiring a "3rds" side. From what I've heard there are plenty of Div 2 and 3 sides struggling to fill their reserves.
Without sounding big headed and i could be wrong but the 3 clubs i have watched in 5th div this year would not come close to the senior teams ive seen play in div3 some of the teams in div4 might be a different story but i havnt seen any of them play.
From the consistent communication ive had with aflq they inform there are lots of clubs that have to many but not quite enough to have a thirds hence why aflq have been sendingout emails to clubs asking how many players they have missing out so they can try to find them a game but in saying this there is always going to be a a few clubs that struggle for numbers

Last edited:
Maybe he is referring only to the Moorooka senior team...? :p

Watched the Magpies play the Siders on Friday night, it was a seriously high quality game. The Magpies 3rds have a very very good backline, hard to score against for sure.

These 2 teams would give plenty of QAFL Reserves sides a run, and no doubt some Div 3 seniors. Not sure they are even the best Div 4 teams either, so the comment has a bit of merit.

We had a very very good side named due to some guys not being able to play 2's on Saturday and some others to bolster the side, and still got beaten.

#6 and #18 for the Magpies were senior level players in ability, don't belong at this level!

Last edited:
#18. Tallish defender, looked like he played CHB, but may have been a flanker. Takes alot of grabs, kicks off either foot.

#6. Tall midfielder, could play key position at either end in a heartbeat. Took about 4 screamers, and doesn't mind a 'Dusty Martin' fend off.

Not sure why not on the teamsheet on sportingpulse?

Watched the Magpies play the Siders on Friday night, it was a seriously high quality game. The Magpies 3rds have a very very good backline, hard to score against for sure.

These 2 teams would give plenty of QAFL Reserves sides a run, and no doubt some Div 3 seniors. Not sure they are even the best Div 4 teams either, so the comment has a bit of merit.

We had a very very good side named due to some guys not being able to play 2's on Saturday and some others to bolster the side, and still got beaten.

#6 and #18 for the Magpies were senior level players in ability, don't belong at this level!

The comment on don't belong at this level is a frustrating one that I get sledged with often on the field. Why don't they belong at this level. What if work/family is the reason they play at this level or even just the fact they want to have a kick with mates. I don't believe blokes play in this Comp to be big fish in small ponds.

It's been mentioned numerous times that the top 3 players in nearly every team have the ability to play else where but for whatever reason choose not to, they belong just as much everybody else does.

That's odd, I'm sure I read comments of numerous experts on here that Friday night footy was just for losers that couldn't get a kick on Saturdays?

The comment on don't belong at this level is a frustrating one that I get sledged with often on the field. Why don't they belong at this level. What if work/family is the reason they play at this level or even just the fact they want to have a kick with mates. I don't believe blokes play in this Comp to be big fish in small ponds.

It's been mentioned numerous times that the top 3 players in nearly every team have the ability to play else where but for whatever reason choose not to, they belong just as much everybody else does.

Are you saying, that you're such a good player opposition players often sledge you that you should be playing at a higher level?

Are you saying, that you're such a good player opposition players often sledge you that you should be playing at a higher level?

He does I heard it first hand Friday night, one of our blokes said he should go test himself at a higher level only being 21/22 yrs old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back