Queensland Floods

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: How good is this rain?!

****! I'm in Auchenflower :(

I remember massive storms here in Brisbane back in the late 80's as a kid (apparantly a tornado or two spawned from them) but this is has to be the biggest disaster I've seen in my 25 years of being raised here

Shouldn't go under today. The high river is in association with the high tides. It part of it will probably go under in the next few days.

Took your advice Belgian and went to the shop to stock up, never seen so many people at the shop. It was absolute madness, lines that make xmas look like a non event. Strange feeling as i loaded water in the trolley sense of wanting to look after your family but knowing not to take too much so others will also be alright. Unfortunately there were others who didn't subscribe to that theory:thumbsdown:

Just packed up all computer equipment, customers orders, storage etc etc and put it high as possible on top of shelves and things at work in East Brisbane.... wondering if that was even enough now...

Couldn't believe it could get too bad in Brisbane proper, but it appears I'm in the midst of being proven wrong. I hope everyone comes out of this fine. Best wishes from Sydney. :(

and this situation is not gonna get better any time soon.

the rain falling in your locations isnt the problem - its plenty of rain falling out west and destined to flow downstream in the days ahead. any references you may see to 1974 take note, and understand how much worse this could be with the growth of urban brisbane since then.

talk to some of the older folk (50+) in the area to understand where flooding may occur in your region.

Sorry to report this, but the catchments up in this neck of the wood are completely full of water. What I can see over my back fence won't reach Somerset for 36 hours, nor will the stuff falling around Maleny and Peachester. So Wivenhoe is still 72-96 hours away at least. Brace yourselves down there, stay safe and don't rush back to normality after the first few days are over.

On another note, a nasty looking Low is intensifying between Fiji and New Caledonia, and most of the models I've seen have it moving in our way over the next few days. I doubt it'll either a) make landfall b) have any stength in 10 days time or c) head to SE QLD. Having said that though, I would never have predicted this weather either, so while it may be 5% or less chance of occuring, it is something that could just completely ruin our region.

Good god...... footage from Ipswich on Channel 9..... an entire Rugby League field is underwater and it only happened since 11am!

Water is on the edge of One Mile Bridge

Believe that was in Warwick.

Good god...... footage from Ipswich on Channel 9..... an entire Rugby League field is underwater and it only happened since 11am!

Water is on the edge of One Mile Bridge
Watching that now.....

Family is in NSW for a holiday, GF is in New Zealand, and I am so glad that they all are. Looks like I'm gonna be camped in the house alone for the best part of a week. Thank god we have a Queenslander....

Sickening stuff on the TV now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to report this, but the catchments up in this neck of the wood are completely full of water. What I can see over my back fence won't reach Somerset for 36 hours, nor will the stuff falling around Maleny and Peachester. So Wivenhoe is still 72-96 hours away at least. Brace yourselves down there, stay safe and don't rush back to normality after the first few days are over.

Where are you?

Where are you?

Woodford, the back of our place is overflow for a small creek. It is now about 800m across, water that would be close to 2m deep in places. As I type, the rain is back, quite heavily too. We're lucky, we're raised well above the flats out the back.

Aforementioned creek will run into the Stanley River, as well as another couple of creeks with similar amounts of water in them.

Just heard from a mate who just got back from the shops - the shelves were bare of all "essential" food items and drinks. *shakes head*

On another note, a nasty looking Low is intensifying between Fiji and New Caledonia, and most of the models I've seen have it moving in our way over the next few days. I doubt it'll either a) make landfall b) have any stength in 10 days time or c) head to SE QLD. Having said that though, I would never have predicted this weather either, so while it may be 5% or less chance of occuring, it is something that could just completely ruin our region.

Actually, most of the models predicted this event, although slightly underestimating it. ATM, I'm backing them in to be right on the movement of that TC

Actually, most of the models predicted this event, although slightly underestimating it. ATM, I'm backing them in to be right on the movement of that TC

I was meaning the strength of this, and you are right, the models were pretty much bang on (minus the extreme intensity). And currently the models are saying by Saturday, it will be 3-400km off the coast somewhere between Bundaberg and Maryborough. I hope we are all wrong, as a continued track would have it crossing on the Sunshine Coast or Brisbane.

Clearly a few things can change it's track, let's hope they play a factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back