Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight's free kick against Sullivan for not handing the ball directly back to the umpire. What rule exactly has he broken here? 18.13.d "engages in Time Wasting"?

If so, it seems ridiculously technical and, given no apparent intent from the "offending" player to time waste, not a free kick which should be paid at any time of the game or any position on the ground.
Falls in the same basket as giving the ball back to the player who is awarded a free kick. Same penalty for the same action.

Hawks got a free kick a few weeks ago when the oppo player threw the ball over the umps head instead of directly to him

Excellent. you watch all the games for us and report back on the numbers ;)
As another poster stated - the most concerning thing about it is the acceptance by fans that it is a free kick.

And that also goes for the Harrison free at the end of the first quarter, which was ridiculous as well.

Are you happy that crap umpiring continues to materially influence results of football games?

As another poster stated - the most concerning thing about it is the acceptance by fans that it is a free kick.

And that also goes for the Harrison free at the end of the first quarter, which was ridiculous as well.

Are you happy that crap umpiring continues to materially influence results of football games?
No saying I agree or disagree with the free to Darcy, but I can understand why it was paid. If that had gone against us, I would blame our player for not returning the ball to the umpire as I know damned well that is what is expected of the player.

Remember Dean Margetts? He is a western Australian umpire.

Go look at certain derbies from 2015-21 when the eagles won 11 in a row .

No doubt which WA side Dean Margetts favoured in that WA derby when he umpired.

Again, Margetts played a tiny hand on eagles having a fluke and poxy derby streak over Freo.

Margetts retired at the end of 2021.

Once Margetts left at the end of 2021, go look at the derby games in 2022 and 2023.
2015 to 2021 was when we were contending and then coming down.
2022 to 2023 was when we were shyte.
Stop grasping at straws.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish. You should never be able to give it to a teammate when the ball belongs in the hands of an opponent with a free kick or the hands of the umpire having called a ball up.

Besides, if you can start flicking the ball around to teammates when a bounce is called, it allows a defence more time to set up.

Annoying free kick to concede, no doubt. But a free every day of the week.

Rubbish. You should never be able to give it to a teammate when the ball belongs in the hands of an opponent with a free kick or the hands of the umpire having called a ball up.

Besides, if you can start flicking the ball around to teammates when a bounce is called, it allows a defence more time to set up.

Annoying free kick to concede, no doubt. But a free every day of the week.
What's the actual rule being breached?
Is it time wasting? Or is there an actual specific rule about giving ball back?

I think the only highly acceptable time for it to be paid is when a team gets a free and other team kicks it away ignoring multiple whistles, and then the 50 is paid.

I’d argue kicking the ball in the stands is very different to handing the ball to another player who is less than a metre away from them. I would assume that the free probably wouldn’t have been paid in todays situation but was as the ump seemed upset at how Sidebottom left the ball on the ground for him to pick up himself only minutes earlier.
I don't see how that's a time wasting free. It's a free for not returning it to the player.

Kicking it away and handing it to your team mate rather than the umpire is the same principle at least. Might be a bit in the Sidebottom but I also reckon the umpires were given a directive this week to be hot on returning the ball. A couple of times you could hear them say "straight back to me" at a ball up.

The free kick is similar to the issue with running too far.

Is it a free kick by the rule book? Yes

Is it something that is regularly paid? No

Players throw the ball on the ground/put it on the ground all the time and nothing is ever done. I agree that it should be the same rules as returning the ball to a player who has a free kick, but you can’t randomly decide to pay something that you have never paid before in the middle of the game.

I've never seen them throw it away.

You quite regularly see players chuck the ball down at a boundary throw in, often times away from a boundary umpire who is right there.

I remember on SEN a few days ago, there was a discussion about how "Collingwood are the masters of creating subtle delays at stoppages to give themselves time to flood back and set up again".

Maybe the AFL became aware of this and decided they were going to make an example this week?

If the AFL was really concerned with that they’d tell their umpires to stop ****ing around and waiting for rucks and just throw it up/in.

you are talking about one umpire decision that happened tonight. That is nothing.

Also Ironic you brought that bolded and underlined bit up because that is how Freo lost to the saints in 2017. Nick Riewoldt is a bloody cheat.

Dogs Vs Crows in 2016 at docklands. Umpire Troy pannell gave 18 free kicks in the 1st 3 quarters in that game. 17 free kicks to the dogs and only 1 to the crows.
I agree that umpire bleating doesn't belong in this thread. But we all know that that last 5 minutes of umpiring (not just the bizarre one) would be front and centre in this thread if it was a Vic team getting the rub of the green against a non Vic team. As would Port last week with the time on error.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back