Questions about the rules that you are unsure of thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
if you have something about the rules of the game you need an answer for - ask and answer in here

Ive got one - say player a marks after the siren - why doesnt player b on the other side position himself a metre out from the goal line for player c - a high jumper, to use player b as a springboard to get extra height to touch the ball.

Is there a rule against this?

Always wondered

It is, is it not?

I thought so but it’s never paid. Players are on to it too, they’ll “drop” it if they feel there’s no options knowing the umps are unlikely to pay it

I’d be all for getting rid of prior opportunity, it’s the worst rule they’ve ever brought in

if you have something about the rules of the game you need an answer for - ask and answer in here

Ive got one - say player a marks after the siren - why doesnt player b on the other side position himself a metre out from the goal line for player c - a high jumper, to use player b as a springboard to get extra height to touch the ball.

Always wondered

Asked a question similar to this except in relation to being lifted like a rugby lineout.

Both are along the same lines, although your example might be slightly more keeping to the style of the game.

The response I got was some coach raised it a decade or two ago and the AFL knocked it on its head and I think the implication was that if it became a tactic, itd be s**t on immediately.

Didnt actually fact check it though

Player is 60m out and intends to have shot for goal by indicating to umpire. Why do some players get a pass from the umpires to have 30 seconds and others don’t (not sure if this has happened). Is it on reputation (say Taylor walker compared a known average kicker) or is this a rule of some sort?

Always wondered

15.11 FREE KICKS – GENERALLY 15.11.1 When Awarded A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or a Team where the field Umpire is of the opinion that:

(a) the Player is engaging in Time Wasting;

(b) an Official of the Team or such other person of the Team who may from time to time be permitted onto the Playing Surface, intentionally or carelessly interferes with the football, a Player of the opposition Team, an Umpire or general play;

(c) a Player has lifted a Player or climbed on the shoulders of a Player from the same Team. This Free Kick shall be taken by a Player from the opposing Team where the infringement occurred or where the football is at the time of the infringement, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team;

(d) a Free Kick to be awarded against a Player who uses abusiv...........................

Player is 60m out and intends to have shot for goal by indicating to umpire. Why do some players get a pass from the umpires to have 30 seconds and others don’t (not sure if this has happened). Is it on reputation (say Taylor walker compared a known average kicker) or is this a rule of some sort?

Umpire discretion I think outside the 50 on exactly that - Knowledge of the players abaility to get the journey.

15.11 FREE KICKS – GENERALLY 15.11.1 When Awarded A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or a Team where the field Umpire is of the opinion that:

(b) an Official of the Team or such other person of the Team who may from time to time be permitted onto the Playing Surface, intentionally or carelessly interferes with the football, a Player of the opposition Team, an Umpire or general play;

(c) a Player has lifted a Player or climbed on the shoulders of a Player from the same Team. This Free Kick shall be taken by a Player from the opposing Team where the infringement occurred or where the football is at the time of the infringement, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team;

(d) a Free Kick to be awarded against a Player who uses abusiv...........................

WTF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one rule I’d be happy to see changed/expanded upon. If a player takes the 30 seconds and doesn’t have a legitimate shot it should be reversed.

However I could see the umpires quickly messing it up. Depends how you interperate ‘legitimate’.

Well there ya ******* go! Ty

This is one rule I’d be happy to see changed/expanded upon. If a player takes the 30 seconds and doesn’t have a legitimate shot it should be reversed.

However I could see the umpires quickly messing it up. Depends how you interperate ‘legitimate’.
Kind of agree, think the umpires have enough on their plate as it is though. Obviously the 50m mark must be a reference, I think it’s a very exploitable rule/interpretation.

Surely there has to be some context to that? Players regularly jump (“climb”?) on to teammates shoulders in marking situations, be it things like big pack marks or third man in. The rule as it reads doesn’t seem to specifically constrain itself to the situation referred to by the OP but is that the only time that umpires actually consider acting on it?

Surely there has to be some context to that? Players regularly jump (“climb”?) on to teammates shoulders in marking situations, be it things like big pack marks or third man in. The rule as it reads doesn’t seem to specifically constrain itself to the situation referred to by the OP but is that the only time that umpires actually consider acting on it?
I believe the rule was brought in after a player did climb onto his team mate's shoulders for an after the siren shot a goal, I can vaguely remember seeing footage of it.

I thought so but it’s never paid. Players are on to it too, they’ll “drop” it if they feel there’s no options knowing the umps are unlikely to pay it

I’d be all for getting rid of prior opportunity, it’s the worst rule they’ve ever brought in

You would enjoy a game where players do even more to avoid taking possession of the football?

Endless tap-ons and kicking off the ground, great.

You would enjoy a game where players do even more to avoid taking possession of the football?

Endless tap-ons and kicking off the ground, great.

You mean keeping the ball moving like it should be? Yeah all for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back