What rule would you Add/Remove/Change to improve the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last touch - why bother to smother the ball near the boundary line, or spoil a mark when it’s just going to result in a free kick to the opposition anyway.
And yet if a defender does a rejection in the NBA it's a massive play, even f the ball goes out.

A smother out of bounds stifles the attacking team's run of play. It could save a goal, or at worst, give time for the defense to get structured up.

Better ways to deal with players with concussion.

Yes these players get paid a lot of money to get on the field. But they are humans like the rest of us too.

Physical and mental health issues are finally being talked about.

And yet if a defender does a rejection in the NBA it's a massive play, even f the ball goes out.

A smother out of bounds stifles the attacking team's run of play. It could save a goal, or at worst, give time for the defense to get structured up.
They clap attempted goals in soccer as well, despite it not going in.

Can’t see AFL crowds cheering for giving away a free kick.

What’s the point spoiling a mark near the boundary, better just to stand on the mark than risk the effort or potential injury.

I always figured it was to give the players an idea of where they are kicking from. As a viewer it gives me a better idea of where a shot at goal is coming from.
It serves that purpose and for 50m penalties it makes it clearer where the man on the mark should be placed. The 30 and 70 metre penalty that sometimes seems to happen in the middle of the ground shouldn't happen inside or close to the arc (at the attacking end at least, where it is arguably more important).

Last touch - why bother to smother the ball near the boundary line, or spoil a mark when it’s just going to result in a free kick to the opposition anyway.
You could have it so it was a free only if the last touch was a kick or a handball, or if a player carried it over without prior opportunity to dispose of it. That way spoils or smothers are protected, and if you pick it up one step inside the boundary and can't stop yourself from going over you don't get pinged whilst trying to do the right thing (ie taking possession).

It kinda makes it like it is now but without any question of intent to keep it in, let alone how sufficient that intent was.

You could have it so it was a free only if the last touch was a kick or a handball, or if a player carried it over without prior opportunity to dispose of it. That way spoils or smothers are protected, and if you pick it up one step inside the boundary and can't stop yourself from going over you don't get pinged whilst trying to do the right thing (ie taking possession).

It kinda makes it like it is now but without any question of intent to keep it in, let alone how sufficient that intent was.
I strongly ageee with this :D
Takes out the deliberate rule decisions

The stand rule is idiotic and a blight on the game. It has no place in free flowing Aussie Rules football and would wreck the players legs too, having to stop and prop like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody else think we should just let the guy on the mark go wherever he wants as long as it’s behind the mark? I don’t understand this no backwards step thing.

In light of the just announced “Maynard Rule” concussion rule change. I think we go a step further, if you concuss somebody you are immediately delisted and sent to jail. The person who got concussed can never play afl again and will be sent to a padded cell in hospital for the rest of his/days. That should sort it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back