What rule would you Add/Remove/Change to improve the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop staying “Stand”, just give a 25m penalty straight away.

No more warnings for 666 setup. Give the free kick straight away.

Stop nominating who’s in the ruck contest. Just toss it up if nobody’s there too bad. If two players from the same team go up it’s a free kick for the opposition. It makes team communication imperative.

Only do the ball bounce at the start of the game, throw it up from now on.

Get rid of the umpire dissent rule.

Get decent cameras for score reviews on every ground. If the score reviewers can’t make up there mind in 15 seconds it’s umpires call straight away.

“In the back” should actually be a push in the back with arms extended. Tackles in the back should be allowed.

I think these things streamline the game and would be the better for it.

Wonders will never cease. I actually see a lot of merit in these

Works better in soccer because there's only 1 ref. I think it's a great idea but it'd be ruined by an umpire blowing his whistle from 150m away because he thinks the controlling ump has missed a free kick.
They could prevent that by doing what they do in rugby - have the adjudicating umpire raise his arm up to indicate that he's seen the free kick but hasn't blown the whistle yet

Don't understand the desire to award teams for scoring over 100.
Yes low scoring games can be boring, but defense has always been an equally important part of the game and should be rewarded, rather than just rewarding teams for going all out attack.
Most teams would give zero shits as to whether their opponent got a bonus point unless it was the last 2-3 rounds of the year and ladder spots were tight.

Unless someone can come up with a genuine/valid reason as to why it should be there, get rid of the 50m arc I say !!

If it's only purpose is so you can create an inside 50 stat then its superfluous.
I always figured it was to give the players an idea of where they are kicking from. As a viewer it gives me a better idea of where a shot at goal is coming from.

Don't understand the desire to award teams for scoring over 100.
Yes low scoring games can be boring, but defense has always been an equally important part of the game and should be rewarded, rather than just rewarding teams for going all out attack.
Most teams would give zero shits as to whether their opponent got a bonus point unless it was the last 2-3 rounds of the year and ladder spots were tight.
It would help some teams over others as well. IE: Brisbane generally plays in better weather than Vic based teams not at Marvel. Do we want the final 8 being decided by who has a trip to Brisbane or who plays WCE/NM 2x instead of 1, or a team gets wiped out by Covid so as well as picking up an easy win the full strength team picks up an extra point etc. I can't imagine the rule would do any favours to the teams that will play every second week in Tassie either.

Wonders will never cease. I actually see a lot of merit in these

I also don’t like the “holding the man” free when the player fumbles/doesn’t take control of the ball properly. Why are we rewarding bad play and expecting the tackler to stop tackling in mid air when he can’t see the ball. Problem is I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe just play on at the umpire’s discretion like ducking? I don’t like grey area rules though.

I also don’t like the “holding the man” free when the player fumbles/doesn’t take control of the ball properly. Why are we rewarding bad play and expecting the tackler to stop tackling in mid air when he can’t see the ball. Problem is I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe just play on at the umpire’s discretion like ducking? I don’t like grey area rules though.

Totally agree there too. As soon as the guy taking possession has touched the ball the onus is on him to keep it, within reason. I mean if he’s only just gotten his fingertips to it and the tackler drags him away then fair enough it’s probably an infringement but if he’s had a decent play at it then too bad.

On the two ‘in the back’ ones mentioned earlier - and yes bla bla bla I’m sure someone will say ‘it’s because Tom Hawkins plays for your team’ - my problem with the rule is this: and I’m actually happy because in the last 3-4 years they have started to adjudicate it differently and Hawkins himself has been a major beneficiary of it.

With the stronger forwards who liked to wrestle, defenders would often start to play in front and reverse into their opponent knowing that the forward would more or less HAVE to push them in the back to hold their ground, usually resulting in them giving away a free kick. Umpires got wise to it and have started to let the forwards do it, as they should.

In my disgusting soccer career I played as a defender and used to play behind, and these forwards used to do the same to me, stand i in front and reverse into me and I’d put my hands up and hold them off and they would tell me to stop and the answer would be the same each time: mate I’m not going to just stand here and let you back into me and push me over so f**k off. It’s common sense officiating and it is good to see some discretion being used.

The tackling in the back rule is a disgrace: if you are running someone down from behind you should be able to get them to ground however the hell you need to

They could prevent that by doing what they do in rugby - have the adjudicating umpire raise his arm up to indicate that he's seen the free kick but hasn't blown the whistle yet
They do similar in soccer, the ref waves his arm forward to indicate advantage and if there clearly isn't any or the player with the ball stops then they blow the whistle and bring it back.

Totally agree there too. As soon as the guy taking possession has touched the ball the onus is on him to keep it, within reason. I mean if he’s only just gotten his fingertips to it and the tackler drags him away then fair enough it’s probably an infringement but if he’s had a decent play at it then too bad.

On the two ‘in the back’ ones mentioned earlier - and yes bla bla bla I’m sure someone will say ‘it’s because Tom Hawkins plays for your team’ - my problem with the rule is this: and I’m actually happy because in the last 3-4 years they have started to adjudicate it differently and Hawkins himself has been a major beneficiary of it.

With the stronger forwards who liked to wrestle, defenders would often start to play in front and reverse into their opponent knowing that the forward would more or less HAVE to push them in the back to hold their ground, usually resulting in them giving away a free kick. Umpires got wise to it and have started to let the forwards do it, as they should.

In my disgusting soccer career I played as a defender and used to play behind, and these forwards used to do the same to me, stand i in front and reverse into me and I’d put my hands up and hold them off and they would tell me to stop and the answer would be the same each time: mate I’m not going to just stand here and let you back into me and push me over so f**k off. It’s common sense officiating and it is good to see some discretion being used.

The tackling in the back rule is a disgrace: if you are running someone down from behind you should be able to get them to ground however the hell you need to
Forwards should be allowed to hold out opponents backing into them, but the moment their elbows bend and then straighten again then it should be paid a push in the back. I think umps have been better about this but they still miss some howlers where defenders get legitimately shoved and there's no whistle.

Disagree on the tackling in the back. The rule is there to protect players getting flattened on their face with the full weight of the tackler on top of them, especially if their arms are wrapped up.

1) No Marks paid if kicking backwards in the defensive 50 metre arc, you can kick backwards and switch play, but it's play on.

2) Last touched rule between 50 metre arcs only.

3) Minimum distance for a Mark increased to 20 metres

4) Socks up mandatory
Agree strongly with points 1 and 3.

It’s a wonder why this hasn’t been applied yet…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) No Marks paid if kicking backwards in the defensive 50 metre arc, you can kick backwards and switch play, but it's play on.

4) Socks up mandatory
1 and 3 Definitely. Not a fan of last touched rule, hope we never see that in the AFL.

1 and 3 Definitely. Not a fan of last touched rule, hope we never see that in the AFL.
Last touch bothers me, but i have a feeling the AFL want to bring it in, i just hope it has limitations on where that will be?
I know nobody likes my socks up policy, but our footballers look terrible on the field compared to other football codes....
I reckon 1 & 3 are a real chance though...

4) Socks up mandatory
Why would you not pay a free kick to a team in their backline?

Last touch bothers me, but i have a feeling the AFL want to bring it in, i just hope it has limitations on where that will be?
I know nobody likes my socks up policy, but our footballers look terrible on the field compared to other football codes....
I reckon 1 & 3 are a real chance though...
Last touch - why bother to smother the ball near the boundary line, or spoil a mark when it’s just going to result in a free kick to the opposition anyway.

The first rule I can think of to change is the bounce of the ball. Just throw it up! Quick and easy rule change and will quickly improve the game.

The Sub rule get rid of it nobody wants it just have the extra man on the bench and be done with it and then just leave it like that for the next 50 years.

Umpire deliberate out of bounds like it was 15-20 yrs ago. Yes you can kick it 40m down the line and if it goes out, throw it in. I always thought it strange a team gets rewarded for not being able to collect a ball that travels 40-50m. Shouldn't they have a defensive player out there stopping the ball from going out, instead of clogging up the play? I'd make it like a kick for touch rule. Force the defending team to stop it happening instead of just handing them a free kick.

Last touch - why bother to smother the ball near the boundary line, or spoil a mark when it’s just going to result in a free kick to the opposition anyway.
Agreed, i don't like it much myself, but i have a feeling the AFL might bring it in, if they do it shouldn't be within scoring distance.

Just let the players take the ball out of bounds

Totally get rid of deliberate, points as well.

Would clear up the rule.

It's funny watching old games where players just handball straight out of bounds but they just got on with it and reset.

"The boundary line is a defenders best friend"

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could have it similar to juniors/suburban football where that player can be replaced but can't come on for 20 mins of game time or be subbed. Team with the yellow still has all its players on the field but is down a rotation.
Or to really penalise a team, instead of keeping one player on the bench for that time, each yellow card results in 5 less interchanges.
Unless lower than 5 remain, in which case that 20 minute rule for the player comes into play.
5 less interchange certainly hamstrings a team

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back