Quickest players in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We won’t have the luxury to place him on the Cat B list unless McDaid is moved off it.

Can sign him on the Rookie A list and give up our last rookie selection however.

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

Pretty sure that's why Sheehan and Byrne weren't on the B list together.

That is correct.
Though I thought that the 2nd player would then have to be drafted with some uncertainty to get through vs a straight nomination as a rookie (if that is all, then no great disadvantage then other than maybe differing contract $’s?).

Could have sworn it was per year, but oh well.

The next JGM, or really fast dude who probably has foot skills... hmmm...

I used to wonder why we went obscure in the rookie draft but we've been taking the best available recently with JGM and LeBois and they aren't setting the world on fire.

I'd prefer us to take more mature players now.

I used to wonder why we went obscure in the rookie draft but we've been taking the best available recently with JGM and LeBois and they aren't setting the world on fire.

Really? That hasn't exactly worked out well.
Mature players come as quality and by FA and trade.

Take the chances with youth through the rookie drafts now. No need for Gallucci, Shaw, O'Shea etc.

Take the chances with youth through the rookie drafts now. No need for Gallucci, Shaw, O'Shea etc.

I agree. Take a chance on young players with genuine AFL athleticism/traits. That way if it clicks, they can become really good AFL players. It's one of the things Sydney's done well in recent years. So many of their speedsters have come off the rookie list.

I agree. Take a chance on young players with genuine AFL athleticism/traits. That way if it clicks, they can become really good AFL players. It's one of the things Sydney's done well in recent years. So many of their speedsters have come off the rookie list.

That doesn't mean it will happen for us, but it should.
We have a lot more resources in recruitment/List management than we've ever had.

The other thing is, enough time has been given for seniors to prop-up the 'kids'
The majority shouldn't be still called kids after being in the system 3-4 years next year. That speak should be over and done with.

We're a football team now and with the right recruitment two or three quality 22-26 year olds, gives us a reasonable age profile and should shut us up about talking about kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? That hasn't exactly worked out well.

State league players, not offcuts from other teams.

Who knows? There aren't many that get that chance though, are there?
By the time one drops off the radar, it's a hard gig getting back into recruiters eyes. Maybe a better system may help, but that makes for another story.

Geelong and Sydney seem to pluck these types from nowhere.

Geelong and Sydney seem to pluck these types from nowhere.

They've done well but many of those young rookies weren't taken from State Leagues nor in the 22-26 yo bracket, we're reaching for.

Without going through player names here, both clubs have a better development system than we have had and likely still do have.
No guarantees that the rookies picked up by the Swans would have made it with us. In fact I'd say it more likely they wouldn't have.

A trip out to the VFL in recent years would have given many that same impression.
We just haven't been very good and don't have the right systems in place yet. That will take time coming from the low base we're coming from.

Those selections were more 'best reputation' rather than 'best available'. JGM got way too many plaudits for holding Schache at the champs (I know a selection isn't built off one performance, but that clearly gave the reviews a rose tint), and Le Bois was getting high praise for his pedigree.

I never would have picked JGM, and said as much at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back