R U OK, Bluebaggers?

Remove this Banner Ad

You blokes are fully ace for opening up and sharing. I’ve seen a couple of you write that it’s easier for you to open up online due to anonymity. There are online chat services you can use if you prefer that over a phone call or face to face counselling session. I’ll edit this post later when I’m on my laptop and add some links.

in the past 3 years two of my family members have died by suicide. Both men, both people you’d ‘never expect’. Both left behind so many loved ones who just never saw it coming. It’s heartbreaking. In my job I get distress calls from staff and I’ve never had so many in my whole career. I had to call two ambulances in one day for mental health intervention.

people always say “reach out if you need to talk” but the reaching is the hard bit. I’m going to PM some of you over the next few days to say gday. If you don’t want to chat no biggie just ignore the message. If you do want to chat then I’ll do the reaching out for you xo.

Edit:

Last edited:

You blokes are fully ace for opening up and sharing. I’ve seen a couple of you write that it’s easier for you to open up online due to anonymity. There are online chat services you can use if you prefer that over a phone call or face to face counselling session. I’ll edit this post later when I’m on my laptop and add some links.

in the past 3 years two of my family members have died by suicide. Both men, both people you’d ‘never expect’. Both left behind so many loved ones who just never saw it coming. It’s heartbreaking. In my job I get distress calls from staff and I’ve never had so many in my whole career. I had to call two ambulances in one day for mental health intervention.

people always say “reach out if you need to talk” but the reaching is the hard bit. I’m going to PM some of you over the next few days to say gday. If you don’t want to chat no biggie just ignore the message. If you do want to chat then I’ll do the reaching out for you xo.
Thanks, MEB and too right. Were blessed to have an array of easily accessible, free resources in this country to help with MH.

Sounds like you've got a bloody tough job. I know sometimes taking that all on can affect one's own mindset. I hope you've got someone to talk and share that stuff with yourself, mate.

You must be an incredibly strong person.

Thanks, MEB and too right. Were blessed to have an array of easily accessible, free resources in this country to help with MH.

Sounds like you've got a bloody tough job. I know sometimes taking that all on can affect one's own mindset. I hope you've got someone to talk and share that stuff with yourself, mate.

You must be an incredibly strong person.
Thank you, I’m no stronger than anyone else 🙂. It’s not technically my job but as HR Manager in these crazy times a lot of people don’t know who to turn to. I try to be as accessible as possible because some of them are well and truly alone. I don’t offer advice, just listen and then provide referrals.

Thank you, I’m no stronger than anyone else 🙂. It’s not technically my job but as HR Manager in these crazy times a lot of people don’t know who to turn to. I try to be as accessible as possible because some of them are well and truly alone. I don’t offer advice, just listen and then provide referrals.
That's all people need sometimes. Heroes don't always wear capes or work on the front lines.

Just want to give a hearty thanks to all baggers in this thread- both those who have opened up and shared and those who are listening and pointing people in the right direction. It means a lot knowing that there are still amazing people out there, particularly in rather bleak times of late.

I’m not qualified in any way to help, but I just think those who have opened up are hugely courageous for doing so and those who are helping.. thank you.

I like to float along, aware of stuff and not get involved.

It’s more family back east.

My sister has busted her arse, husband is ill, kids are 17/HSC....over here in SA, by miracle or design, we’ve done ok.

Is it the end of the world, of course it’s not.

If I’m strong, and by god I am, this will end.

Old man rambling.😎❤️

I like to float along, aware of stuff and not get involved.

It’s more family back east.

My sister has busted her arse, husband is ill, kids are 17/HSC....over here in SA, by miracle or design, we’ve done ok.

Is it the end of the world, of course it’s not.

If I’m strong, and by god I am, this will end.

Old man rambling.😎❤️
Quality rambling…

just a heads up, there are plenty of supplements you can use for the dog - I've recently (today) decided to go full vitamin overkill - zinc, vitamin d, magnesium & omega 3..............worth a shot, cheap, I can vouch for positive results just on the zinc alone.........

dont forget the probiotics too. Clean the gut up first. That’s where the serotonin is made.

Anyone male or female struggling or showing the signs in the link..
Please muster the courage, go and see your GP it was the best move I ever made.

Was diagnosed with Bipolar (shown by some of my erratic posts) some years ago and also deal with anxiety/ panic attacks (only had 3)..

Looking back signs started showing when I was about 17-18 and progressed..
It cost me relationships girls and friends, cost me my PGA traineeship, my dream job that I worked hard for my whole life
had a moment and quit with 3 months to go in my final year...

These moments did lead to some good things though..
Like my beautiful wife that has stuck by me through the many downs where she could of just walked away and my 3 fantastic kids..
A job that allowed us to own a house and live ok...

Going to my GP and doing a mental health plan, medication, walking, diet (need to get much better at) and breathing exercises has helped me a lot..

Smiling Mind is a terrific app for breathing exercises, sleeping exercises, and quick anxiety moment relief, and it’s free, unlIke all the other apps. YouTube has plenty of meditation stuff too. Progressive Muscle Relaxation meditation is incredible . Seems a little strange, but works wonders for anxiety .

take care everyone .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smiling Mind is a terrific app for breathing exercises, sleeping exercises, and quick anxiety moment relief, and it’s free, unlIke all the other apps. YouTube has plenty of meditation stuff too. Progressive Muscle Relaxation meditation is incredible . Seems a little strange, but works wonders for anxiety .

take care everyone .
bang! spot on........

sounds like good advice..........

comes from an incredible GP , who helped me with my 2 girls. People don’t realise mental health is a physical disease as well. Most mental health professionals dont correlate the 2. Fixing the body Also helps you deal with the mental health, as well as improving your mental health.

I think it’s incredible that breathing exercises and stuff like Progressive Muscle Relaxation meditation tell the brain that everything is ok, to calm down , and eases the symptoms.

when at your worst , it can be bloody tough to put into action though, I feel for those, so glad I’m not there anymore , and wasn’t there long term. I tip my hat to those that deal with the dog every day . These people are strong and brave, true fighting spirit .

just a heads up, there are plenty of supplements you can use for the dog - I've recently (today) decided to go full vitamin overkill - zinc, vitamin d, magnesium & omega 3..............worth a shot, cheap, I can vouch for positive results just on the zinc alone.........
I know Vit D is great for anxiety and the nervous system,Magnesium is excellent for a better nights sleep. Supplements are really good when our diet is inadequate,ive been taking them for over 40 years.
Hope the continue to help you as they have me.

Edit:

amazing work MEB, well done . ❤️❤️

No I'm not. I've had really s**t day. Lost my parrot in gust of wind haven't been able to find him. Might not sound like much but he's been with me day and night for over a decade.

He'll be scared and cold. It's bloody cold and windy. He's not native so there won't be anything for him to eat in the area. Not that he'd know how to forage being a pet all his life

I feel like I should have been able to protect him. He needs me right now and there nothing I can do to help.

Sorry for wierd post but I am really stressed. Unreasonably so.

Edit: found the little guy, but he's passed on. I guess it was too cold for him overnight.

Last edited:
No I'm not. I've had really sh*t day. Lost my parrot in gust of wind haven't been able to find him. Might not sound like much but he's been with me day and night for over a decade.

He'll be scared and cold. It's bloody cold and windy. He's not native so there won't be anything for him to eat in the area. Not that he'd know how to forage being a pet all his life

I feel like I should have been able to protect him. He needs me right now and there nothing I can do to help.

Sorry for wierd post but I am really stressed. Unreasonably so.
Not strange at all, bud. Sorry to hear. Fingers crossed for you that he finds his way home. Never nice to lose a pet. They become part of your family.

Am I ok… that’s a good question.

after my recent preliminary diagnosis of complex ptsd, which I’ve apparently had since I was 3, I suppose I can say I’m doing as well as can be expected. Especially as I’m caring for the person who has been mentally and emotionally abusing me since I was 3 years old.

But I suppose that the good news is that my pshrink is helping me to get back into a balanced place ahead of formal assessment in Feb next year.

Am I ok… that’s a good question.

after my recent preliminary diagnosis of complex ptsd, which I’ve apparently had since I was 3, I suppose I can say I’m doing as well as can be expected. Especially as I’m caring for the person who has been mentally and emotionally abusing me since I was 3 years old.

But I suppose that the good news is that my pshrink is helping me to get back into a balanced place ahead of formal assessment in Feb next year.
That sounds incredibly hard, Dram. Don't even know where to start there, but I'd hazard a guess (without knowing you) that you're a bloody strong person. You'd have to have amazing resilience to keep fighting given your circumstances and the dynamic of your caring responsibilities.

Glad you've got a good professional to chat to. If you want a non-professional person to talk to (in that space... in my work I'd like to hope I'm considered professional) then hit me up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back