Autopsy 2023 Round 1 DRAW. Ugly Blues still can't close out games

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ed straight to Danger for the whole match this week imo. Wear him like a glove
I'd actually send him to Isaac Smith to start off with.
Danger will always get a fair bit of it, but he's not always damaging with it. Had 22 disposals at 54.5% against Pies (44.4% by foot).
Smith was way more damaging. 21 disposals (19 kicks) at 81% with 8 i50s, 6 score involvements, 730m gained, team high 3 score launches

reckon mots did the right thing.

I also think lob did the right thing except...he should have run more directly towards goals (instead of towards boundary line) and then fired away on goal...

There was a big patch of clear space towards mid section of f50 arc. Running in that direction would have mean he runs less distance and be within goal kicking distance.

Would have been an insane moment had he put it through the middle sticks. Would have overtaken buddy's famous run and goal when hen played for hawks.

I think coaches need to let lob know he did the right thing and that he needs to do more of that. free the kid up.
He obviously had Richmond players coming across from the far side of the ground. Given that there appeared to be nobody in front of him when he started his run, then by the time he kicked it to Harry on the far side flank, he was surrounded by 5 Tigers players, I think it's safe to assume that somebody would have cut his run short if he had gone more direct and forced an earlier kick.
I think he ran to the wing because it was his best option to gain ground whilst giving our players a chance to run forward and give him options.

I'd actually send him to Isaac Smith to start off with.
Danger will always get a fair bit of it, but he's not always damaging with it. Had 22 disposals at 54.5% against Pies (44.4% by foot).
Smith was way more damaging. 21 disposals (19 kicks) at 81% with 8 i50s, 6 score involvements, 730m gained, team high 3 score launches
Ed doesn’t have the leg speed to keep up with either

Interesting stat. Prestia only had 1 disposal in the last quarter after Curnow went to him. Could come in handy this year if a player is running hot
Joel Selwood in one of his recent post-retirement interviews named Ed Curnow as his toughest opponent. If we could just keep Ed from kicking the ball and restrict him to handballs only, he’d be worth keeping in the side as a tagger who wins his own footy.

It’s when he tries to kick it to players under pressure or launch it inside 50 that he costs us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of debate here about whether Motlop made the right play to handball to LOB near the end of the game.

Crippa was on 'On The Couch' and essentially stated that the plan and ideal play in that situation was to stay composed and find a kick mark option so I think that settles that argument, mentioned it would allow the team to move up the field and structure up.

Now we know what the team are trying to do, lets see in our next close game if we've learned and can actually execute.

Bit of debate here about whether Motlop made the right play to handball to LOB near the end of the game.

Crippa was on 'On The Couch' and essentially stated that the plan and ideal play in that situation was to stay composed and find a kick mark option so I think that settles that argument, mentioned it would allow the team to move up the field and structure up.

Now we know what the team are trying to do, lets see in our next close game if we've learned and can actually execute.

How many more times do the players need to s**t themselves under pressure to confirm that they haven't?

:(

How many more times do the players need to s**t themselves under pressure to confirm that they haven't?

:(

I reckon I'm way more forgiving because it was Motlop who made the error...good young kid with a bright future only in his 13th game. If it was a senior player on the other hand...

To be fair I think the rest of the team were playing to instruction, going slow and we were flooding the backline which is why when LOB was on the fast break you saw the shot I50 where it was McKay surrounded by 5 Richmond players on the screen.

Unfortunate but yeah, we need to get to a stage where it is so ingrained in the players that no one messes up in a similar situation.

I reckon I'm way more forgiving because it was Motlop who made the error...good young kid with a bright future only in his 13th game. If it was a senior player on the other hand...

To be fair I think the rest of the team were playing to instruction, going slow and we were flooding the backline which is why when LOB was on the fast break you saw the shot I50 where it was McKay surrounded by 5 Richmond players on the screen.

Unfortunate but yeah, we need to get to a stage where it is so ingrained in the players that no one messes up in a similar situation.

Oh I don't blame Jesse specifically.

Said in the aftermath that there are countless moments in games that can cost a team dearly. Making the wrong call in just one of those moments can cost you the 4 points; we're doing it repeatedly.

It's completely demoralizing but all we can do is hope that they do learn from it and good does come from it eventually. Clearly we haven't reached that point yet. Well, maybe we have - we'll see as early as Thursday evening.

Much like Collingwood winning more than their fair share of close games last season...at some point it progresses beyond luck, good or bad.

E78671F7-C366-4803-8319-3635F2904C4D.png I reckon I'm way more forgiving because it was Motlop who made the error...good young kid with a bright future only in his 13th game. If it was a senior player on the other hand...

Yeah Motlop really should’ve gone back and started a chip-around. I also don’t necessarily have an issue with what LOB did - in terms of taking on Rioli. He had fresh legs and it showed, he burned him and I think that was smart, as the sub. Just think that the execution was wrong. Needed to kick it to McKay far earlier.

Here’s the vision at LOB’s second-last bounce:
506483C7-215E-4D4D-BAEF-A1BDF099465D.png

And at his last bounce:
E78671F7-C366-4803-8319-3635F2904C4D.png

Just needed to kick it sooner and we potentially ice the game. Ah well, it’s done now, hopefully we learn. But I would like to see them making the right choices by now, rather than making the same mistakes over and over.

Yeah Motlop really should’ve gone back and started a chip-around. I also don’t necessarily have an issue with what LOB did - in terms of taking on Rioli. He had fresh legs and it showed, he burned him and I think that was smart, as the sub. Just think that the execution was wrong. Needed to kick it to McKay far earlier.

Just needed to kick it sooner and we potentially ice the game. Ah well, it’s done now, hopefully we learn. But I would like to see them making the right choices by now, rather than making the same mistakes over and over.

I just don't agree with this at all.

Harry slipped and dropped the mark. It wasn't spoiled, nor was it a contested mark.

How can we possibly say with any confidence that had LOB kicked it earlier, Harry would have taken it?

The fumble looked bad and was unfortunate, but the recovery and the delivery was absolutely perfect. What more can he reasonably be expected to do?

5 Richmond players directly in front (behind) McKay, where the flower are our players?
We had the ball, you would think we would be trying to make space or assists? This f@#$ group just don’t work hard enough.

They were flooding the backline as they should have been in that situation. Motlop received a 50m pass and immediately played on to LOB...there was absolutely no time for our players to push forward that quickly which is why it wasn't the right thing to do.

There’s five Richmond players running back covering/surrounding McKay within our F50 then further back to Charlie he’s covered by another player moving up through the middle of the centre square then daylight again…
Say what you like about who probably shouldn’t or should have done what in that piece of play when going forward, i think we need to ask some hard questions why we let the obove happen, for me it’s inexcusable…

5 Richmond players directly in front (behind) McKay, where the flower are our players?
We had the ball, you would think we would be trying to make space or assists? This f@#$ group just don’t work hard enough.

Our players were all compressed in the defensive half/D50 and rightfully so

As stated previously and essentially confirmed by Cripps, Motlop should have held up play after the mark.

This would have allowed us to setup, to burn up the last 1 1/2 minutes

Not overly critical of Mots, as he is young and will learn, as well as being other moments throughout the game that contributed to the draw

Back