Autopsy 2023 Rd 10 Blues lose game in first quarter

Remove this Banner Ad

At what stage do you accept that it is the coach and the game plan that is the issue rather than the players?

Quite a coincidence that so many of our best players are devoid of confidence, look confused and unsure of themselves. This is leading to indecision, skill errors and loads of turnovers. Everyone from supporters to the media can see the game plan is a mess and opposition coaches have no trouble planning against us.

The coach has a responsibility to extract the best out of the playing list - through development, motivation, setting standards and implementing structures and a game plan that maximises the talent. Have a look at the turnaround at Collingwood since McRae came onboard. They were a kick from a GF last year and now premiership favourites yet the core is basically the same list that finished 17th in 2021. Were the players responsible for Buckley's demise? Would they be on top now if the leadership group performed and Buckley remained?

Look at the list of players well done on form - Cripps 22 Brownlow medallist, McKay 2021 Coleman Medallist, Saad 22 All-Australian HBF, Walsh and Weitering 22 All-Australian squad, Hewett (5th in 22 B&F). These are top tier talent, not just at Carlton but in the whole comp and they are so far down on form they are unrecognisable. Add in the drop in output from the mid-tier and developing players (compare 22 to 23 for Young, Silvagni, McGovern, Fisher, Motlop, TDK etc, even Acres looks a shadow of the 22 player at Freo).

I've read multiple posts bagging the players for wanting to kill another coach but I'm not buying it. The players haven't made a decision to play rubbish football, they want to win. This is a coaching issue and it is primarily due to a game plan that is horrific - outdated, simplistic and slow. We were found out last year and rather than spend the off-season coaching a modern game plan, Voss and co doubled-down.

Right now it's a disaster and Voss needs to wake up and recognise the game plan doesn't work and he needs to make significant changes. Longer term the club need to ensure we bring in better assistants (especially tactical) and probably a very experienced head of football or in 12-18 months Voss will be gone and we'll be rebuilding yet again.

Quite odd how the players look great when our expectations are low but suddenly look quite poor when we expect finals.

Certainly never happened with any player at Carlton before ever.....Not like Charlie who is the best player on the list was failing to make the distance for goal in our most important game last year....

Collingwood gave Buckley every chance to succeed. We've given Voss a season and 9 rounds before we started getting itchy for the next coaching high. Feels Rattensque at the moment where we expected easy top four after 2011 but reality sunk in and we chased a dream in Malthouse. The list has major holes and the seniors are dealing with injuries, interrupted preseasons or just proven themselves not up to it like Mcgovern.

We don't have the skills by foot or hand to play faster and we have zero pace in the side. Last year we rode momentum well but dealt with it even worse. This year Voss tightens things up and the players seem to lack the skill/composure to work around it. Never seen any playing group at Carlton deal with game plan adjustments ever though. Hell even under MM the players themselves said that MM told them to use the corridor far more but they'd constantly play boundary every time.

New gameplan that hopefully hits the sweet spot aside the club is going to need a huge off-season. Zero medium forwards and HFF's in general available is a huge hole in our list and the midfield is so vanilla. Cripps hasn't proven himself consistent enough to rely on at this point. Priddis was also a bloody brownlow medallist and he got paid half of what Cripps gets but worked twice as hard. Voss definitely needs better support in the MC role too.

along the lines of 'í shouldnt be saying this but i was on the bench laughing when they kept kicking the ball to darcy'

2 aspects to it:
  • laughing at us continually doing the wrong thing and kicking it to their best defender.
  • worst of all is the total lack of respect they have for us as a club 'i shouldnt be saying this but bugger it'

If im a collingwood fan i love what he says but as a carlton fan it is a total indictment on our club that they dont repsect us and happy to go against his instincts and tell it like it is. Im not upset at what he said or want vengeance, the opposite. im angry at the club for being so s**t for so long that they dont respect us - they took the mickey yeterday and cruised to a win
Sad but true.

The demeanour of our players was fairly concerning to me yesterday. They looked frustrated and at times scared. I've seen that look before and it doesn't end well. For once I'd like to keep the coach and adjust the list if need be. Tired of being on the sack the coach merry-go-round.

Where was the fight we showed in the second half when the game was won in the first 50 minutes? It took a few Collingwood players to get smart and start pushing us around for us to respond. But they destroyed our season in the cruelest fashion last year. Does that not provide enough impetus forour blokes to have a red hot crack for four quarters? Never mind the fact that 2023 is now on the line as well.

Last edited:
Hi XXXX,

We are clearly disappointed and frustrated with our start to the year.

The first 10 weeks, whilst providing us with glimpses of what our AFL side is capable of, have also shown that right now, we’re off the mark against the best teams in the competition.

There is no point sugar coating it, it simply hasn’t been good enough to this point. We’d rather own it now, so that we can get on with addressing it.

It comes as no surprise to any of us that there has been significant external noise around our football club this year. We’ve deserved our whacks at times, we absolutely accept that, and cop it on the chin.

What we won’t do though, is let external narratives dictate our reality.

That reality sees us currently two points out of the top eight, with 13 games to go. That is the challenge ahead of us for the remainder of the year.

A challenge that is well and truly achievable, but it is on us to rise to it.

We will be judging our season in its totality, after 24 rounds, not 10.

There is a lot of football still to be played and if last season taught us anything, it is that a season is a marathon, fortunes can change and it’s on us now to change ours for the better.

Rest assured, nobody is just sitting on their hands here, assuming the wheel will turn.

Our leaders, everyone at Carlton, are right now demanding better out of each other.
We have not been afraid to have the tough conversations we need to.

This football club is done with finger pointing.

Stability and unity in your football program is what gets you through tough patches.

I acknowledge it may not be what some want to hear but for the next 13 weeks and hopefully longer this season, we are in this together and that is not changing. Every step of the way.

Two points out of the eight, with 13 games to go. Our destiny is very much in our own hands. So let’s own that, and get on with it.

Clearly success will only be earned by this football club if we stick together and be ruthless in our drive to improve in the second half of the year.

To you, our members, you have played your part so far this year. The sold-out crowds speak for themselves but to be honest still only tell half the story.

Your investment in this football club is incredible, not just on match day but every day.

While clearly we know there has been frustration, anger at times, we know you come from a place of care, of passion and a deep connection to the football club you love.

Give me a supporter base like ours over any other, any day of the week.

Take care of yourselves and look after each other Bluebaggers. We’re in this together every step of the way this year, no matter what.

Kind regards,
61832b07e254e.png

Luke Sayers
President
Member ID: 2908822
Sure Luke
But what about the GAME PLAN :p

Last edited:
You really know things are getting bad when none of your Pies/Bombers/Tigers/etc mates even bother messaging you to rub it in.

They all just feel sorry for me now o_O

About the only humorous thing to come out of the game is the constant stream of memes about how bad we are........most of them are pretty funny, but all are sadly true.

You really know things are getting bad when none of your Pies/Bombers/Tigers/etc mates even bother messaging you to rub it in.

They all just feel sorry for me now o_O

About the only humorous thing to come out of the game is the constant stream of memes about how bad we are........most of them are pretty funny, but all are sadly true.

You really don’t know many in my circle. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed hearing from a whole host of not just a Collingwood but StKilda, Richmond, Essendon and even North…..amongst others.

Good on you though!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Sayers is an accomplished administrator, Voss & Lloyd are the problems things have to change, unfortunately it won’t happen soon.
No. Luke said Voss will be with us until the end of 2024. He said all the same stuff Brad Lloyd did. Company line.
I wonder if anyone will actually address the issues with Voss. No doubt they'll ask if he still feels confident in the plan he has implemented.
I guess they'll also ask if he feels he needs some extra resources?

Precisely end 2024 is nightmarishly long for change to be implemented but the club will act conservatively, politically correct only.
Let’s hope miraculously things evolve organically for the better much sooner, it would be great. I‘ve got my fingers crossed

Precisely end 2024 is nightmarishly long for change to be implemented but the club will act conservatively, politically correct only.
Let’s hope miraculously things evolve organically for the better much sooner, it would be great. I‘ve got my fingers crossed

Where have we said that we won't make any changes until the end of '24? There's lots of potentially impactful internal changes we could make that don't mean Voss being fired. Has anyone guaranteed the positions of the assistant coaches until end of '24? I hope not...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not wrong. We have become a rabble again. We are being laughed at.

Thanks for posting this. A crusty, rusty old lefty like me wouldn't ever be aware of what is said on 3AW, or even less what said on 'Son of Jack's' show. The caller ia 100% correct though annd echo's the frustrations of us all.

If you don't want to play for the Emblem, for the club, for your coach for your team-mates, for the members, then Eff off.

Agree. I also think he is decent below the knees can bend over, pick it up cleanly and dish off with hands but just the lack of aerial impact around the ground is really hurting us. He should've been jumping hard for the mark when johnson took mark of the day over him but he's feet remained rooted to the ground.
Obviously his feet were rooted to the ground, he has small hand's and small feet. He would over-balance if he were to leave the ground, Lol.

Thanks for posting this. A crusty, rusty old lefty like me wouldn't ever be aware of what is said on 3AW, or even less what said on 'Son of Jack's' show. The caller ia 100% correct though annd echo's the frustrations of us all.

If you don't want to play for the Emblem, for the club, for your coach for your team-mates, for the members, then Eff off.
How about,
If you don't want to coach a modern style that brings out the best in our players then don't coach for us. Why do you think we want to watch an endless grind with no improvement or joy that leaves us feeling depressed each week?
Look at what is happening to our players!
Coach for us. Give us a team to be proud of!
It isn't your club. It's ours. So listen to advice and change your God awful plans!! Don't tinker with defence again unless it's to encourage intercept marking. Remember that??
I wouldn't be blaming the players. Get angry at the ones directing the players.

Just finished watching the replay

Things that haven't changed, that is doing my head in

• Playing 6 defenders + Doc playing part time back/mid. Needs to stop, been going on way too long. Play 7 defenders, with Doc mid/wing changing forward
  • Jsos in the ruck, enough now. Pies banged on 4 goals while Jack was up against Cameron in the first qtr, basically setup their win. Would rather any of TDK, O'Keffee or Mirkov at this stage
  • Kicking long inside 50 in open play, when having shorter targets. Looking at you, Walsh and Doc
  • On Doc, needs to lower his eyes, rather than a hack kick
  • Still not honouring the handball receive, then chipping sideways to a nothing option
  • Cheating, players running forward of the contest, before teammates gathering possession
  • Get Kennedy back into our stoppages
  • Making a statement, I would drop one of Gov or Saad, just going through the motions
  • Our small forwards just don't work hard enough without the pill
  • Hollands was unfortunately ball watching. Might need a week off
This is a balance of poor coaching and player execution/laziness/selfishness.

On the plus side, thought Boyd worked into the game, was one of our better players. Harry looked more confident. Charlie is unstoppable. Cerra has been our best player this year

Strange, but we look so far from competent, yet not that far away. Really is a fine line, but at this stage, just struggling with connections all over the park

Haven't watched the VFL game yet, so can't really comment on the changes, as yet
Great post.

He’s not wrong. We have become a rabble again. We are being laughed at.

Honestly I feel for the guy because he's clearly not getting a good return out of his investment emotionally.

Carlton losing doesn't ruin my whole weekend like it used to but I still feel his disappointment. Hell I used to get the shakes from anxiety before a game because I was far too invested in the result of something I had zero control over.

As a younger supporter (28) I just hope I get to see Carlton win a flag with my dad (67) before he passes. I think most of us here just want to see the side reflect our own hunger for success on the field for once. It gets old watching Carlton run out half asleep at the starting bounce and seeing the footy equivalent of sheep trying to fight against wolves.

Game plan issues aside I don't know why we always have issues with intensity and how it always comes down to relying on one guy in the midfield to spark any sort of life into the side. Cripps is having a wretched season but no one else has put their hand up to fill the void either. Other sides you'd expect players to be jumping out of their skin at the opportunity but we seem rather one and done again....

In a performance based industry of all things it feels strange that we've put so little effort into developing a healthier spread of leaders amongst the playing group.

Not a lot of pride to go around....

It's Walsh and his approach to everything. You're right about valuing hjs possession but give him another summer and he'll improve there.

Walsh is a pro playing without the ability to put in the summers he usually does.
He does not take all parts of his preparation as professionally as I’d like. Just a fact. I’ll leave that there.

How about,
If you don't want to coach a modern style that brings out the best in our players then don't coach for us. Why do you think we want to watch an endless grind with no improvement or joy that leaves us feeling depressed each week?
Look at what is happening to our players!
Coach for us. Give us a team to be proud of!
It isn't your club. It's ours. So listen to advice and change your God awful plans!! Don't tinker with defence again unless it's to encourage intercept marking. Remember that??
I wouldn't be blaming the players. Get angry at the ones directing the players.

Voss let the playing group have a say in the game plan though. That's the confusing part because the players themselves ticked off a plan that they don't have the skill or pace to play effectively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back