Autopsy 2023 Rd 8 Mediocre Blues gone after Quarter time

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs Brisbane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My concern is that specific instructions aren't being given to some players to improve. Changes communicated as "team balance". I don't like that. I'd much rather they're told "this is where you need to improve."

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do you think what is said in pressers and interviews, is the same as what is said directly to players?

Unfortunately, either am I. Stocker and Setterfield forging good careers elsewhere after being given up for nicks. Kempy likely better than both and being pushed down the same path.

Generation next out the door. We have the makings/nucleus of a premiership team, but starting to seriously doubt we will see one in my life time.

1683840485943.jpeg
We don’t make the hard decisions, just another generation of the boys’ club, we find scapegoats on top of our ordinary development.

I did not expect Voss to be a great tactical coach, but expected an edge to be added and a stronger backbone to result.
Ordinary assistants rather than complementary ones (TDK and Mirkov treading water with MK). Everyone wants to blame Dow for his lack of improvement, not his years of entitlement and an inflated salary telling him he was a star when he had L plates on. Kemp, Carroll etc. Durdin and Motlop showing more promise, but will they realise their potential?

Very annoyed 56 year supporter. 1967 when I rejected Dad’s then team St.Kilda at 6yo.

And then I find out that you’ve watched 8 flags in your life time. 😂

Unfortunately, either am I. Stocker and Setterfield forging good careers elsewhere after being given up for nicks. Kempy likely better than both and being pushed down the same path.

Generation next out the door. We have the makings/nucleus of a premiership team, but starting to seriously doubt we will see one in my life time.

We don’t make the hard decisions, just another generation of the boys’ club, we find scapegoats on top of our ordinary development.

I did not expect Voss to be a great tactical coach, but expected an edge to be added and a stronger backbone to result.
Ordinary assistants rather than complementary ones (TDK and Mirkov treading water with MK). Everyone wants to blame Dow for his lack of improvement, not his years of entitlement and an inflated salary telling him he was a star when he had L plates on. Kemp, Carroll etc. Durdin and Motlop showing more promise, but will they realise their potential?

Very annoyed 56 year supporter. 1967 when I rejected Dad’s then team St.Kilda at 6yo.
Surely this is the heart of our issues.
We fail at player development. A huge weakness.
How do we address it?

Surely this is the heart of our issues.
We fail at player development. A huge weakness.
How do we address it?
There are many layers, it is not simplistic.

I am old(ish) and apply the KISS principle as second nature.

Offer a tangible path.

Offer the tools to get there
skills

conditioning
fitness (yes there is a distinction)

integrity (ie consistent values)

where necessary motivation

establish a feeling of GENUINELY belonging and regard for team mates (not lip service platitudes)

That is a good start…

There was a time I would have agreed with you, but my faith has been very dented. I have been more positive than most on here for a long time. The signs are not trending upward. I am not fazed by a loss to a quality team, it is the lack of cohesion, questionable structures and lack of selection integrity.

We are taking a ridiculously long time to find cohesion and system. I thought I knew what was happening, but there is no sign. We have invested in a number of players on extended contracts who notionally do not complement each other. TDK is a massive key and not progressing, the next in line is not progressing yet old boy’s club member Kreuzer continues to oversee their development. They are soft and not indoctrinated to team first ethos.

Our juniors develop at snail’s pace compared to other clubs. TDK and Mirkov not developing. Carroll stagnating. Is defence even Kemp’s optimum position? He has been shunted from a-hole to breakfast time filling gaps in our undermanned reserves.

Power is not yet proven as a development coach. He was a mentor at GWS before taking a job with the under eighteens prior to joining us. I have hopes for him, but to talk in absolutes is nonsense.
Yep. Our development is absolutely shambolic for some reason, has been for years. Just seem routinely unable to turn anything other than ready-made early first round guns into even vaguely serviceable league standard players.

I've seen nothing in Kemp, Honey, Carroll etc to suggest any change in that trend, betting none of them will be on the list in 3 years. And yeah TDK seems to have completely stagnated this year on exposed form, gone backwards really. I know we're not looking great for rucks but if other clubs throw insane money at him at the end of this year we kinda have to let him go imo.

Last edited:
Being 'The Coach', I made myself watch Q2 and Q3 again. There was nothing wrong with the effort in Q2.
Q3 we were never in it. Kemp must be bamboozled as to why he has been dropped. I know Lewis was dragged after that dreadful handball but I did notice that he effectively took 3 intercept marks in Q3 (one he actually received a free kick)
Overall I did not come up with any answers, other than they had more good players :huh:
ps Acres had a good game statistically but his clangers hurt us on a couple of occasions

Back