Autopsy 2023 Rd 8 Mediocre Blues gone after Quarter time

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs Brisbane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton-vs-Brisbane.png

Quarter Time Scores
5.1.31 - 5.3.33

Half Time Scores
6.3.39 - 7.7.49

3 Quarter Time Scores
6.5.41 - 12.9.81

Full Time Scores
11.8.74 - 15.10.100

Quarter Time Stats

Qtr Player Stats.jpg

Half Time Stats

Half Player Stats.jpg

3 Quarter Time Stats

3 Qtr Player Stats.jpg

Full Time Stats

Final Player Stats 1.jpg

Final Player Stats 2.jpg

Last edited:

First things first...

I recognise that tonight's been ******* awful, and that there will be a multitude of strong opinions to express. But recognise that we as a community have resolved to treat each other with decency, and this thread will be moderated accordingly.

See this thread for details:

For those who want to truly get a rant out:

For the real depths of despair:

Be good to each other.

Time to look at the facts:
  • We are an average side with an average coaching department (not just Voss)
  • We are not likely to make finals this year
  • Our wins (and draw) this year have come against sides who are likely to finish low down on the ladder. If we played Geelong now, and they were in form, we'd lose comfortably.
  • We rely too much on our two key forwards, in particular Charlie Curnow, as McKay has poor goal-kicking
  • Our small forwards are well below league standard
  • We have put too much focus on getting contested ball-winners (Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, E. Curnow, etc) and endurance runners (Hollands, Acres, Binns, O'Brien, Cottrell, E. Curnow) and not enough on players with speed and/or a high level of skill.
  • Ed Curnow should have been retired at the end of last year
So, what's the solution? In the short term, prioritise giving certain players (Binns, Dow, Cowan, etc) better opportunities over the ones that have underperformed and won't feature in our push for a premiership (E. Curnow, Honey, Silvagni). Medium term, change some of the coaching appointments. If not Voss, then certainly Hamill et al. Longer term, shift our recruitment strategy away from an over-reliance on contested/endurance players and more towards quicker players with quality skills.

Thoroughly disappointed in the effort tonight, but very proud of the 'Carlton Respects' initiative that the club continues to champion.

Last edited:
I’ve mentioned it already this year, but this club is absolutely taking the piss.

The game plan is ******* garbage, and yet Voss seems insistent on persevering with it. Relying on contested marking is never going to be sustainable.

Game plan is dog s**t.
Effort is dog s**t.

Defensive transition is ******* pathetic.

I’m so sick of watching every game devolve into long bombs to a contest and constant turnovers.

Kennedy should never be sub again.

The thing that sums up this season for so far is, the losses we had last season (Crows, Saints and Lions so far) have literally been carbon copy games this season.

We’re no better, if anything we’re worse off.

We don’t learn from our mistakes, we panic, we seem scared of “the moment”

There’s been legitimately one, maybe two players who can put their heads up high through the good and the bad games and that Cerra + potentially Charlie.

Bam Bam being sub is dumb.

The fact that it’s not just the coach that’s the issue is what scares me the most. I hate this feeling, feels like an earlier version of last year already…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's sad that for me the Tassie side can't come soon enough. Not because I'll turn away from the Blues, but just to have some excitement in footy again...

The herrr Derr kick it long down the line plan was made even worse this week by every player forward of the ball playing behind their opponent. 😂

******* well done Cerra and Kennedy. Tipping my hat to Kemp who got thrown onto Cameron after he'd already kicked a bunch and was on fire and shut him down. Wasn't a complete game from anyone but cerra though and I think the setups are a large reason.

Back