Autopsy 2023 Rd 10 Blues lose game in first quarter

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this

I would have given my left nut so to speak to get Selwood into the club.

I do wonder what Shannon Hurn is doing post football. Great football brain, demands respect. Quite a few WA lads on the list. As a player he has all of the traits and characteristics that this club is screaming out for.

I don't think you play on as long as he has if you don't see your life in footy but I have no idea if he sees himself coaching.
The Soft Cap restrictions make it hard to attract good quality assistants because we are paying Andrew Russell ridiculous coin.. Steve Johnson is the one i would be trying to get to the club, he has an incredible football brain and would do wonders with our forward set up., but he decided to coach country footy because he couldnt earn enough money as an assistant, I am sure this could be re-arranged with some decent accounting.

What a fabulous PR move it was at the time. Bringing back the player Elliott trashed on his way out and who is much loved by sectors of the supporter base.

By our supporter base? I remember Hamill was the first player in my time to walk away from Carlton. It was a huge shock and extremely devastating. Little did we know what the next two decades would bring. I cannot stand the bloke TBH.

Matty Allan was a quality ruck and Kruez had his moments but agree just never played consistently for long enough.
Matty Allen was quality no doubt. AA ruckman and best and fairest in 99. Allen was cut down by injury but he was at least the equal of Justin at his best. Kreuzer much like our current ruck had zero idea when it came to contested marking, knocked off the ball far too easily and couldn't judge the ball drop as quick as others. He was a decent midfielder though. In hindsight we should've given up pick 1 in the Judd deal instead of Kennedy but we are all genuises in hindsight aren't we?

Last edited:

Matty Allen was quality no doubt. AA ruckman and best and fairest in 99. Allen was cut down by injury but he was at least the equal of Justin at his best. Kreuzer much like our current ruck had zero idea when it came to contested marking, knocked off the ball far too easily and couldn't judge the ball drop as quick as others. He was a decent midfielder though. In hindsight we should've given up pick 1 in the Judd deal isntead of Kennedy but we are all genuises in hindsight aren't we?
I think your harsh on Humph, sure contested marks prob were not a strength but he could at least float forward and be dangerous, had very good forward craft for a ruck and his follow up at ground level was very good.

I was watching some of the analysis on footy shows last night and it had me thinking, if West Coast are going to tank out.. and we could get them to pay a bulk of his salary, should we consider Nic Nat if we thought we could get 2 years out of him?

I think your harsh on Humph, sure contested marks prob were not a strength but he could at least float forward and be dangerous, had very good forward craft for a ruck and his follow up at ground level was very good.

I was watching some of the analysis on footy shows last night and it had me thinking, if West Coast are going to tank out.. and we could get them to pay a bulk of his salary, should we consider Nic Nat if we thought we could get 2 years out of him?
He should've been AA in 2017 i think it was, he was robbed.

By our supporter base? I remember Hamill was the first player in my time to walk away from Carlton. It was a huge shock and extremely devastating. Little did we know what the next two decades would bring. I cannot stand the bloke TBH.

I understand that there's a number of supporters who share your opinion.

There are plenty of others who were huge Sammy supporters who don't blame the guy for leaving with the way that Elliott treated him.

Look at the response the news of his hire received here. It was largely super positive with a lot of relief that we finally closed one of the sorrier chapters in (relative) recent club history.

A big chunk of the reason why the Eagles are cooked and now need to resort to tanking and getting pantsed is because their best players like NicNat, Yao, etc. just cannot get out onto the park with any level of consistency.

I.argue that a significant reason why we're struggling so much this season is that we already have half a dozen players who are unable to get out onto the park and that has left the spread of work to too few.

We really need to be moving away from the injury prone types and sharing the load as widely as possible throughout the entire list. I'd prefer to carry a couple too many young players not quite ready to contribute than on players who just cant.

Fortune favours the brave and all that but we're not in that position with this list.

Our list is not an inspirational one , excepting for an extraordinary handful of talent players, an overhaul, refresh is needed asap.
Hopefully we have the tenacity, vision and courage to do what‘s needed otherwise will be in the wilderness, for a quite few more years yet.

I understand that there's a number of supporters who share your opinion.

There are plenty of others who were huge Sammy supporters who don't blame the guy for leaving with the way that Elliott treated him.

Look at the response the news of his hire received here. It was largely super positive with a lot of relief that we finally closed one of the sorrier chapters in (relative) recent club history.

I think Elliott stood up for the club Hamill's idiot manager was holding to ransom. Elliott did a lot more for the CFC than Hamill ever will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all good either - his last few years impacted this club for the next 20 years....

BS, Ian Collins presidency is the reason we are now a shadow of the club we could have been. Moving us away from Princes Park and to Docklands (cough cough where Coll had a small conflict) is the single worst decision in the club's history. The short-sighted thinking destroyed the fabric of the club and ruined a competitive advantage we held over the rest of the comp.

BS, Ian Collins presidency is the reason we are now a shadow of the club we could have been. Moving us away from Princes Park and to Docklands (cough cough where Coll had a small conflict) is the worst decision in the club's history. The short-sighted thinking destroyed the fabric of the club and ruined a competitive advantage we held over the rest of the comp.

Na getting caught for cheating and not moving with the times stuffed the club for 20+ years.

Moving from Optus Oval was a given, its a shithole and development was never an option.

BS, Ian Collins presidency is the reason we are now a shadow of the club we could have been. Moving us away from Princes Park and to Docklands (cough cough where Coll had a small conflict) is the single worst decision in the club's history. The short-sighted thinking destroyed the fabric of the club and ruined a competitive advantage we held over the rest of the comp.

Thankyou very much. Collins fooled our moronic members into thinking he wanted Elliott out to save the club when in reality all he wanted was for us to sign a deal at his cheapo stadium with archaic computer entry systems. He saw an opportunity and took advantage of our club, his club, when we were on our knees, to better himself. How long did he last maybe a year and a bit? Until everyone realised what he'd done - by then too late. Elliott would've fought for the club but Collins simply took his pants off, bent over and passed Demetriou the vaseline.

Ian Collins, the most un-Carlton Carlton person there is. It makes me cringe whenever I see photos of him returning to the club.

Oh. Yep….you’re right. Oops. I’m making it up. No wait. I’m passing on third hand intell from unreliable sources.
Exaggerating. Nothing in it at all. He’s very focused on recovery. Prep. The works. So are all his team mates. Forgive me. I’m wrong. You’re right.
I think you need to update and reboot.

The Soft Cap restrictions make it hard to attract good quality assistants because we are paying Andrew Russell ridiculous coin.. Steve Johnson is the one i would be trying to get to the club, he has an incredible football brain and would do wonders with our forward set up., but he decided to coach country footy because he couldnt earn enough money as an assistant, I am sure this could be re-arranged with some decent accounting.
Not sure you have your $ values right here. Your basic assistant coach is on maybe $250 - $300k. I have no knowledge of what Stevie would be getting at yarrawonga but it's hard to believe that he would be getting above $100k.

He has supplemented this with some media work and has openly admitted that the Sydney rent was a killer. But there is no way that he is better off financially now, probably heaps better off in terms of lifestyle.

Not sure you have your $ values right here. Your basic assistant coach is on maybe $250 - $300k. I have no knowledge of what Stevie would be getting at yarrawonga but it's hard to believe that he would be getting above $100k.

He has supplemented this with some media work and has openly admitted that the Sydney rent was a killer. But there is no way that he is better off financially now, probably heaps better off in terms of lifestyle.
I have no knowledge to dispute this, but I would find it hard to believe that a standard assistant is on anything like this, all the talk from the coaches is that they money is far less than most could earn in the private sector and talent is leaving the industry as a result.

Trading Sauce to Adelaide to keep Warnock …. what an inspired trade …. that’s our ruck ability right there over th3 last 20 odd years
I remember that trade.

Could not understand why you trade a player who was consistently improving year to year, while there some spuds ahead who wear doing nothing. Was even happier the fact as we picked him up as a rookie (or very late) ie we spotted a talent and developed it.

At least he managed a decent career elsewhere.

They're mostly on under half of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back