Autopsy 2023 Rd 8 Mediocre Blues gone after Quarter time

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs Brisbane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All with the same coach. How many times have we reset the timeline in that time.

They've never been a serious contender for for a flag. This year they are a real chance.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd argue that they were a real chance in 2020. Home prelim. Would have had a home grand final. Beat eventual premier Richmond in the qualifying final. They just happened to come up against the one team that had their number that year in the prelim (Geelong had beaten them previously in the year before beating them again in the prelim).

I would argue that in that timespan we haven't hit the reset switch. Sure, we've sacked Bolton and Teague but there was no significant reset otherwise both times. Both times Teague and Voss were hired to take us to the next level that their predecessor failed to do. We've layered on rather than reset. If you were looking at a reset you'd be looking at significant list changes (in my opinion) rather than just building onto what you already have. Both times the club has issued similar statements about what the club is expecting to produce (always the next step, onwards and upwards, finals, etc.).

One could question whether the right approach was taken both times. Should we have presented greater opportunity for list changes than what was already in place? Instead, we've added free agents and trade acquisitions (Martin, Williams, Cerra, etc.) to the list that's in place.

I don't think the strong points of the list needed to change. However, I am a believer that we did need to bring in the types of talent that Brisbane did to improve the culture of the club. They brought in Hodge, Birchall, etc. Players who have not only come from highly successful programs but have been instrumental in them as well. I stand by what I said earlier in the year in that we still don't know how to win. Unfortunately, I feel that the time has come and gone for that. Our most important players are well set in their ways and are past the point of learning from players not too much older than them. At this point you can bring in older players but they'd be there - again - to add onto what we have.

Amazing breakdown.

Glad he highlighted these goals, most of which were due to Kemp's poor positioning and of misreading and or not impacting the incoming ball. Even dishing to Gov, but not clearing a path

Even the last goal, where he is confused as to why Saad was on Hipwood. In the freeze frame, you see Kemp to the left of the marking contest, running back, slightly in front of Bailey

No idea why Kemp was so far up the ground manning Bailey.

As the play unfolds, Bailey works past Kemp and ends up kicking the goal

I would drop him, but perhaps lucky to stay in the side with the number of Dogs taller forwards

Glad he highlighted these goals, most of which were due to Kemp's poor positioning and of misreading and or not impacting the incoming ball. Even dishing to Gov, but not clearing a path

Even the last goal, where he is confused as to why Saad was on Hipwood. In the freeze frame, you see Kemp to the left of the marking contest, running back, slightly in front of Bailey

I would drop him, but perhaps lucky to stay in the side with the number of Dogs taller forwards
Those first two play on calls from teh umps were short a few seconds of regulation time...um,pies with white line fever!

Those first two play on calls from teh umps were short a few seconds of regulation time...um,pies with white line fever!
Our boys are still stuck with playing close to the man on the mark for handball receives, instead of back pedalling and looking for a kick. The rules changed that players on the mark won’t be penalised for moving if the player with ball in hand feigns a handball.. so why are we still doing that? It’s super strange.

Our boys are still stuck with playing close to the man on the mark for handball receives, instead of back pedalling and looking for a kick. The rules changed that players on the mark won’t be penalised for moving if the player with ball in hand feigns a handball.. so why are we still doing that? It’s super strange.
mate - a lot of our players did a lot of 'strange' things last week...

I know you pride yourself on not having favourites or bias, but for some reason you have centred on Kemp to blame for almost every action. He is not without fault, but no more so than a number of others, if I was to be argumentative, I could suggest less. The glaring fact for me is the clip is highlighting the impact of opposition smalls. The thing lacking in most examples is the absence of our ground ball players Saad and Cincotta hardly appear. Perhaps it was the deployment of our players that was the greater issue.

Plowman has copped heaps for years. He is no star, but until recently the majority of the criticism he received was when he was isolated deep by team mates wandering, ball watching or simply not defending. Thinking some are in danger of applying the same logic to Kemp and Young here.

The other factor every one is forgetting is that we were playing the most efficient offensive team in the competition who are at a different stage of development to our group. Kemp has just been given a go at the level after arguably earning it many times over. Your demand that he be seasoned and seamless in the structures, particularly when our regulars are flawed is irrational. Kemp is our future. If he needs schooling and structures need adjustment, perhaps you should address Hamill and the senior players. Where TF were our ground ball players. (Clearly dragged up the ground to blaze a path for Cameron and co.) We are too reactive and too predictable. Man on man or zones/rolling zones. Too often betwixt and between.

Kemp has all the tools, his eye test and general performance is at least encouraging. Develop and educate any flaws, but realistically look holistically at the errors or inadequacies. Where was player A, or B or C? Nah, let’s pick off the low hanging fruit. We will never improve if we destroy the youngsters, newbies for every semblance of misdeed, while forgiving Weiters, Saad and co. for going missing when needed most.

The skill errors and decision making from Weitering are far more concerning than anything you attribute to Kempy. Does the lack of on and off field leadership and structure concern you at all.
We have a good mix down back now, they need to be utilised correctly. Just as Cowan’s greatest weapon is his ability to hit 50m passes to break the lines, and he was played deep and restricted with his kicking licence. We need to develop and utilise our “weapons”.

Fair go mate.

Kemp needs to improve, but Weiters should be directing the kid a bit more too though.

The irony is that both those mistakes stemmed from our players trying to move the ball on quickly, something a lot of people have been bemoaning the team doesn’t do enough.

This for me again highlights that there is nothing wrong with the coaching rather the execution by the players is the problem as it was against Richmond, GWS and St Kilda.

The irony is that both those mistakes stemmed from our players trying to move the ball on quickly, something a lot of people have been bemoaning the team doesn’t do enough.

This for me again highlights that there is nothing wrong with the coaching rather the execution by the players is the problem as it was against Richmond, GWS and St Kilda.
yeah agree. watching those reviews of the lions goals, Voss's comments around poor execution is correct.

one of those lion transitions to a goal was jsos receiving a low kick pass (from walsh?) on a wing position that didnt have enough on it so it fell short and hit the ground before jack picked it up but he quickly became under pressure with 2 lions players approaching so he had to play on quickly which unfortunately led to him kicking in some space where there were no blues and it advantaged lions. They went on to score from there.

So poor kick pass to jsos was first error.

Not blaming jsos directly as he was put under pressure with the poor kick pass but still he could/should have done better in that situation.

Voss has been trying to push Carlton into being able to play shorter kick football. Kick football requires smart run to receive to advantage player skills. This is the way better teams (like Geelong) pick their way through zone defenses - especially when defensive structures clog up the ground between the arcs. It hasn't worked very well going forward - the video quoted highlighted the importance of receiving options to kickers. Weitering's attempt to hit Docherty between defenders with a bullet was a great idea- but I think forcing such a difficult kick off his left foot with a minute to go in the quarter was a reach- still I'd rather see Weitering and McGovern actually go for the dangerous kick much more often - and I'd like to see midfielders and flankers give them multiple options to choose from - making the opposition get more nervous....I guess what I am saying - just because there is mismatch between what the coaches are asking players to do and their ability to do it- is not aligned - doesn't mean that players should go into their shells and look for sideways backwards cheapies-and then the inevitable pressured long bomb down the boundary - too often to mismatched contests.

I'd rather lose by trying to be bold than lose by being 'pressured' by a predictable go-forward approach.

I'm not convinced that the issues we are seeing are coaching issues- I'm more in the camp of execution issues. Getting better at something - mostly comes at the cost of getting it wrong until it gets more right than wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you pride yourself on not having favourites or bias, but for some reason you have centred on Kemp to blame for almost every action. He is not without fault, but no more so than a number of others, if I was to be argumentative, I could suggest less. The glaring fact for me is the clip is highlighting the impact of opposition smalls. The thing lacking in most examples is the absence of our ground ball players Saad and Cincotta hardly appear. Perhaps it was the deployment of our players that was the greater issue.

Plowman has copped heaps for years. He is no star, but until recently the majority of the criticism he received was when he was isolated deep by team mates wandering, ball watching or simply not defending. Thinking some are in danger of applying the same logic to Kemp and Young here.

The other factor every one is forgetting is that we were playing the most efficient offensive team in the competition who are at a different stage of development to our group. Kemp has just been given a go at the level after arguably earning it many times over. Your demand that he be seasoned and seamless in the structures, particularly when our regulars are flawed is irrational. Kemp is our future. If he needs schooling and structures need adjustment, perhaps you should address Hamill and the senior players. Where TF were our ground ball players. (Clearly dragged up the ground to blaze a path for Cameron and co.) We are too reactive and too predictable. Man on man or zones/rolling zones. Too often betwixt and between.

Kemp has all the tools, his eye test and general performance is at least encouraging. Develop and educate any flaws, but realistically look holistically at the errors or inadequacies. Where was player A, or B or C? Nah, let’s pick off the low hanging fruit. We will never improve if we destroy the youngsters, newbies for every semblance of misdeed, while forgiving Weiters, Saad and co. for going missing when needed most.

The skill errors and decision making from Weitering are far more concerning than anything you attribute to Kempy. Does the lack of on and off field leadership and structure concern you at all.
We have a good mix down back now, they need to be utilised correctly. Just as Cowan’s greatest weapon is his ability to hit 50m passes to break the lines, and he was played deep and restricted with his kicking licence. We need to develop and utilise our “weapons”.

Fair go mate.

I am not singling Kemp out. I touched on his strengths and weaknesses when in the VFL. I mentioned that he needs to have his head more on a swivel and that was apparent last weekend

Many of his errors were preventable by a combination of he and his teammates, but as a player, especially a defender you need to take the lead role

The example of he being on Bailey forward of the wing, while leaving Saad on Hipwood in our defensive half, is Kemp's responsibility. Although other backmen should also be calling him back

But once he took responsibility for Bailey, he has to deny him goal side

I want Kemp in the side, but I also want him to succeed once he comes into the side. If he struggles with these areas at VFL level, they are amplified at the next level

I am not singling Kemp out. I touched on his strengths and weaknesses when in the VFL. I mentioned that he needs to have his head more on a swivel and that was apparent last weekend

Many of his errors were preventable by a combination of he and his teammates, but as a player, especially a defender you need to take the lead role

The example of he being on Bailey forward of the wing, while leaving Saad on Hipwood in our defensive half, is Kemp's responsibility. Although other backmen should also be calling him back

I want Kemp in the side, but I also want him to succeed once he comes into the side. If he struggles with these areas at VFL level, they are amplified at the next level
I again don’t get why you definitively attribute blame to Kemp. Being on Bailey forward of the wing? How did that come about? Do you really know? I don’t. Would have thought Hipwood “belonged” to Weitering or Young, how can you state Saad being isolated on Hipwood was Kemps fault? How was it Kemp’s fault being isolated in the square when Cameron had the drop on him? What could he have done? How can you assert that the “newbie” has responsibility for both the gun key forward and perhaps the comperitions’s most dangerous small?

A bit much, changeovers happen , but perhaps we look at why and how they occur rather than blaming the kid? Again, I say he is not without fault or responsibility for some of it, but let’s look at the big picture. I ask again, what of the leaders?

Thank you for “many of his errors were preventable by a combination of he and his team mates”.

Hard to state “I am not singling Kemp out” when the post I quoted did just that. “I would drop him” is most “suggestive”.

You were working from an analysis of the circumstances of some of their goals. They are a very good forward group, arguably the best in the business currently. Being beaten a few times is to be expected. We should be focussing on the lack of ball security and cohesion.

With Cincotta and Kemp entering the mix in the last couple of weeks and the heavy reliance on Saad for ball movement being nullified, our cohesion was totally off. This comes down to training drills and instruction as well as on field leadership to correct on the run.

Needs his head on a swivel becomes contentious if there is uncertainty around positioning and responsibilities across the defensive line. The Lions ambushed us, and we did not have the preparation or cohesion to cope. You are suggesting Kemp has the greater responsibility as opposed to his disorganised team mates.

I very much object to calls for him to be dropped among that chaos. Again, we need to invest in the future rather than reverting to the same, often fragile set up. Voss or Hamill need to ensure our ball movement from defence is multi faceted and not entirely transparent and easy to stifle.

Also, of the nine goals shown, just one had a midfielder enter the defensive third if the ground, so we should be putting focus further than the defensive group.

I again don’t get why you definitively attribute blame to Kemp. Being on Bailey forward of the wing?
Exactly what unfolded

How did that come about? Do you really know? I don’t. Would have thought Hipwood “belonged” to Weitering or Young, how can you state Saad being isolated on Hipwood was Kemps fault?
Have another look, at one stage Saad was manning Hipwood, Kemp further up the ground on Bailey, no need to follow him up that high. Not blaming just Kemp, it was a team breakdown

But once Bailey pushed forward, Kemp needed to stay between he and the goals

How was it Kemp’s fault being isolated in the square when Cameron had the drop on him? What could he have done? How can you assert that the “newbie” has responsibility for both the gun key forward and perhaps the comperitions’s most dangerous small?

No one is suggesting he is responsible for multiple players, but once the ball is coming inside 50, you are responsible for the closest opponent, either beat him or bring the ball to ground. Kemp was then pushed under the ball by a much smaller opponent in Cameron
A bit much, changeovers happen , but perhaps we look at why and how they occur rather than blaming the kid? Again, I say he is not without fault or responsibility for some of it, but let’s look at the big picture. I ask again, what of the leaders?
Kemp is younger, but he isn't some broomstick 194cm, 75kg tall. If he is in the side he either impacts a contest, stays down rather than flying if his opponent is front and centre, or blocks after giving a 1 metre handball.

This is basic defending

Thank you for “many of his errors were preventable by a combination of he and his team mates”.

Hard to state “I am not singling Kemp out” when the post I quoted did just that. “I would drop him” is most “suggestive”.

I would drop him for Cowan, who reads the ball better and is defensively better as a main attribute. Just like I would drop Hiney for Owies and Cotts for ED
You were working from an analysis of the circumstances of some of their goals. They are a very good forward group, arguably the best in the business currently. Being beaten a few times is to be expected. We should be focussing on the lack of ball security and cohesion

As a back 7, its important
With Cincotta and Kemp entering the mix in the last couple of weeks and the heavy reliance on Saad for ball movement being nullified, our cohesion was totally off. This comes down to training drills and instruction as well as on field leadership to correct on the run.

Absolutely
Needs his head on a swivel becomes contentious if there is uncertainty around positioning and responsibilities across the defensive line.

it's not contentious, it's what all defenders should be doing, communicating, directing, handing off, etc
The Lions ambushed us, and we did not have the preparation or cohesion to cope. You are suggesting Kemp has the greater responsibility as opposed to his disorganised team mates.

No, you think i want Kemp to take greater responsibility, all he has to do is share his part
I very much object to calls for him to be dropped among that chaos. Again, we need to invest in the future rather than reverting to the same, often fragile set up.

AFL games aren't for investing in the future and or development, it's a secondary byproducts. The most important facet for us right now is to pick a team that wins games
Voss or Hamill need to ensure our ball movement from defence is multi faceted and not entirely transparent and easy to stifle.

All our coaches
Also, of the nine goals shown, just one had a midfielder enter the defensive third if the ground, so we should be putting focus further than the defensive group.

Of course we want mids pushing back hard and or putting pressure on the opposition chain/kickers inside 50

I suspect will stay in the side due to the talls the Dogs have, but, that doesn't change my thoughts on one player

Exactly what unfolded

Have another look, at one stage Saad was manning Hipwood, Kemp further up the ground on Bailey, no need to follow him up that high. Not blaming just Kemp, it was a team breakdown

But once Bailey pushed forward, Kemp needed to stay between he and the goals

No one is suggesting he is responsible for multiple players, but once the ball is coming inside 50, you are responsible for the closest opponent, either beat him or bring the ball to ground. Kemp was then pushed under the ball by a much smaller opponent in Cameron

Kemp is younger, but he isn't some broomstick 194cm, 75kg tall. If he is in the side he either impacts a contest, stays down rather than flying if his opponent is front and centre, or blocks after giving a 1 metre handball.

This is basic defending

I would drop him for Cowan, who reads the ball better and is defensively better as a main attribute. Just like I would drop Hiney for Owies and Cotts for ED

As a back 7, its important

Absolutely

it's not contentious, it's what all defenders should be doing, communicating, directing, handing off, etc

No, you think i want Kemp to take greater responsibility, all he has to do is share his part

AFL games aren't for investing in the future and or development, it's a secondary byproducts. The most important facet for us right now is to pick a team that wins games

All our coaches

Of course we want mids pushing back hard and or putting pressure on the opposition chain/kickers inside 50

I suspect will stay in the side due to the talls the Dogs have, but, that doesn't change my thoughts on one player
We see things a little differently. I am happy to invest in the future, we aren’t at flag level, yet. Plus, there will be list changes at seasons’s end which may make Kemp absolutely integral, development is key. Given the way our organisation works, it is impossible to learn enough in the twos. Other point is/was the group collectively made some errors or were poorly deployed (or both) and I find it hard to accept that one player who finally got his overdue opportunity and has consistently impacted contests in the last fortnight should bear the brunt of a group fail. Cheers. Mate.

The whole backline was ******* rubbish.

Not surprised that Kemp was omitted
Unfortunately, either am I. Stocker and Setterfield forging good careers elsewhere after being given up for nicks. Kempy likely better than both and being pushed down the same path.

Generation next out the door. We have the makings/nucleus of a premiership team, but starting to seriously doubt we will see one in my life time.

We don’t make the hard decisions, just another generation of the boys’ club, we find scapegoats on top of our ordinary development.

I did not expect Voss to be a great tactical coach, but expected an edge to be added and a stronger backbone to result.
Ordinary assistants rather than complementary ones (TDK and Mirkov treading water with MK). Everyone wants to blame Dow for his lack of improvement, not his years of entitlement and an inflated salary telling him he was a star when he had L plates on. Kemp, Carroll etc. Durdin and Motlop showing more promise, but will they realise their potential?

Very annoyed 56 year supporter. 1967 when I rejected Dad’s then team St.Kilda at 6yo.

Unfortunately, either am I. Stocker and Setterfield forging good careers elsewhere after being given up for nicks. Kempy likely better than both and being pushed down the same path.

Kemp isn't following the same path as Stocker and Setters, he will cement himself in the side when he cleans up a couple of areas
Generation next out the door. We have the makings/nucleus of a premiership team, but starting to seriously doubt we will see one in my life time.

We still have that nucleus, jus need some trimmings
We don’t make the hard decisions, just another generation of the boys’ club, we find scapegoats on top of our ordinary development.
I believe Kemp's omission strengthens, making a tough call. While I prefer he gets a block of games, his weaknesses were exposed at the higher
I did not expect Voss to be a great tactical coach, but expected an edge to be added and a stronger backbone to result.

This 7 week block, starting last week is a good test to judge where we are as team and club
Ordinary assistants rather than complementary ones (TDK and Mirkov treading water with MK)
Too early to determine the strength of assistants, ultimately the buck stops with the senior coach, no matter the result
Everyone wants to blame Dow for his lack of improvement, not his years of entitlement and an inflated salary telling him he was a star when he had L plates on. Kemp, Carroll etc. Durdin and Motlop showing more promise, but will they realise their potential?
Power is a very strong development coach, sometimes you have to go backwards a little and to come forward in a stronger way

Very annoyed 56 year supporter. 1967 when I rejected Dad’s then team St.Kilda at 6yo.

In and around your era, never crossed my mind to support anyone else from an early age

Ordinary assistants rather than complementary ones (TDK and Mirkov treading water with MK). Everyone wants to blame Dow for his lack of improvement, not his years of entitlement and an inflated salary telling him he was a star when he had L plates on. Kemp, Carroll etc. Durdin and Motlop showing more promise, but will they realise their potential?

I hear you CB. Disagree with the Kemp omission; he certainly didn’t have a great game but far from our worse. Whether reality or perception, this idea of scapegoating a younger player is troubling, messes with players’ confidence, and not good for team cohesion and morale. I’d rather we backed our younger cohort a little better and longer through selection, even when mistakes are made. Weits, Young & Newman all had worse games; they shouldn’t be dropped but Kemp is hard done by IMHO. Don’t like the message this sends at all. Really hope he gets a chance as sub.

Kemp isn't following the same path as Stocker and Setters, he will cement himself in the side when he cleans up a couple of areas

We still have that nucleus, jus need some trimmings

I believe Kemp's omission strengthens, making a tough call. While I prefer he gets a block of games, his weaknesses were exposed at the higher

This 7 week block, starting last week is a good test to judge where we are as team and club

Too early to determine the strength of assistants, ultimately the buck stops with the senior coach, no matter the result

Power is a very strong development coach, sometimes you have to go backwards a little and to come forward in a stronger way

In and around your era, never crossed my mind to support anyone else from an early age
There was a time I would have agreed with you, but my faith has been very dented. I have been more positive than most on here for a long time. The signs are not trending upward. I am not fazed by a loss to a quality team, it is the lack of cohesion, questionable structures and lack of selection integrity.

We are taking a ridiculously long time to find cohesion and system. I thought I knew what was happening, but there is no sign. We have invested in a number of players on extended contracts who notionally do not complement each other. TDK is a massive key and not progressing, the next in line is not progressing yet old boy’s club member Kreuzer continues to oversee their development. They are soft and not indoctrinated to team first ethos.

Our juniors develop at snail’s pace compared to other clubs. TDK and Mirkov not developing. Carroll stagnating. Is defence even Kemp’s optimum position? He has been shunted from a-hole to breakfast time filling gaps in our undermanned reserves.

Power is not yet proven as a development coach. He was a mentor at GWS before taking a job with the under eighteens prior to joining us. I have hopes for him, but to talk in absolutes is nonsense.

There was a time I would have agreed with you, but my faith has been very dented. I have been more positive than most on here for a long time. The signs are not trending upward. I am not fazed by a loss to a quality team, it is the lack of cohesion, questionable structures and lack of selection integrity.
Stated a few weeks back, that it felt we transitioned away too hard from a stoppage, trying to build the turnover game. At the moment it feels like we are hedging both styles and it look woefully inconsistent

Back