Autopsy 2023 Round 1 DRAW. Ugly Blues still can't close out games

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

4 days on and still carrying on about LOB. :rolleyes:
My take on this FWIW.

Why the **** is the focus on the timing and the disposal?

They were in game decisions which could have gone either way.

My biggest concern is LOB subscribing to the Adam Saad school of running bounces. The practice of taking three bounces in the time/distance where one is required is altogether the least intelligent part of the equation. The missed bounce is what stuffed up the entire episode. Is it lack of composure? Is it lairising? It is beyond me. Pretty sure Saad was “caught” earlier in the day bouncing when contacted by an opposition player after taking three strides or so.

It is unfathomable that this practice hasn’t been remedied.

Again FWIW, LOB should be in the 22, playing on “his” wing. Love Hollands, is a very smart footballer and running machine. Given our lack of substance in the high half forward area, Dutchy should be starting of HHF and playing mop up around the ground. The role that was tailored for Walshy last year. Surely we have learned by now that we can’t carry the flaky combination of Fisher, Martin and Owies in that area of the ground. Each has their positives, but too often come with negatives which demand upgrade or at very least role modification. The Forrest Gump quote does not apply to league footballers. We have too many in the “life’s like a box of chocolates…” category.

Smart, invested and 100% committed footballers please.

Too tired to walk in and be part of the celebrations even a 15 minute cameo? Please

Loved SOS as a player, but these grudges he holds onto are childish, especially considering the circumstances
Any moments/opportunities missed with one’s kids are a tragedy. We never get them back. Very poor from SOS.

Last edited:

Yeah, I was harsh in the moment. Acres takes that mark and it’s a different story too. Motlop hold on to the ball. And the band plays on…

We need to be better in close games, there will be a lot of them.

There was still 100 seconds to go, Richmond would have had one last go at it without doubt.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There was still 100 seconds to go, Richmond would have had one last go at it without doubt.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Also, after Charlie's goal off the ground at 17:24 on the clock (about 8 minutes of game time left, the game ended at 30:10), LOB's kick was our first disposal in the forward half!
We had a total of 2 forward half disposals after Charlie's goal (Acres' handball being the second).
Crazy to blame Motlop and LOB for trying to get the ball forward.

Last edited:
Also, after Charlie's goal off the ground at 17:24 on the clock (about 8 minutes of game time left, the game ended at 30:10), LOB's kick was our first disposal in the forward half!
We had a total of 2 forward half disposals after Charlie's goal (Acres' handball being the second).
Crazy to blame Motlop and LOB for trying to get the ball forward.

I thought Mots should of held up play after taking a mark and or with LOB running hard like that, it would have been an easy chip and mark.

Then we could have pushed numbers forward, but still chip backwards to eat up the clock

I thought Mots should of held up play after taking a mark and or with LOB running hard like that, it would have been an easy chip and mark.

Then we could have pushed numbers forward, but still chip backwards to eat up the clock
Exactly. Just because LOB had the opportunity to run into an open field doesn't mean he should've.
When teams are just holding onto a lead with 3 mins left on the clock the right strategy is either:
1. Keepings off via short kicks, OR
2. Long kick down the line to a contest
These are the lowest risk plays in terms of holding onto a lead in this particular scenario.
Running into the open field was not the percentage play.

reckon mots did the right thing.

I also think lob did the right thing except...he should have run more directly towards goals (instead of towards boundary line) and then fired away on goal...

There was a big patch of clear space towards mid section of f50 arc. Running in that direction would have mean he runs less distance and be within goal kicking distance.

Would have been an insane moment had he put it through the middle sticks. Would have overtaken buddy's famous run and goal when hen played for hawks.

I think coaches need to let lob know he did the right thing and that he needs to do more of that. free the kid up.

Could have for sure.
I think it's a case where there was another option, but it wasn't like a huge mistake that definitely should have gone the other way.
Best case scenario with a 6 point lead and that long on the clock is a mark inside 50, which we would have had if H didn't fall over.

reckon mots did the right thing.

I also think lob did the right thing except...he should have run more directly towards goals (instead of towards boundary line) and then fired away on goal...

There was a big patch of clear space towards mid section of f50 arc. Running in that direction would have mean he runs less distance and be within goal kicking distance.

Would have been an insane moment had he put it through the middle sticks. Would have overtaken buddy's famous run and goal when hen played for hawks.

I think coaches need to let lob know he did the right thing and that he needs to do more of that. free the kid up.
A mark inside 50 is a better result than a score.

A mark inside 50 is a better result than a score.
H was the only blue in our f50 and surrounded by 5 (?) tiggies.

His kick to H was good but its not what i would consider a percentage play. How many times would a player in that sort of situation hit up their targeted player?

A shot on goal and 1 point gives a better advangtage as tiggies would have needed 2 scoring shots to equal/win.

Just saw the footage of the Lochie O'Brien run. I think people are grossly overstating how much space Harry had earlier on. The kick from O'Brien would still need to have been pinpoint to have resulted in an uncontested mark. It's perfectly understandable that he chose to take the space in front of him and enable a shorter kick to Harry. It's just unfortunate that:
  1. He lost control of the ball on the bounce.
  2. Harry slipped over and then dropped the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on this FWIW.

Why the **** is the focus on the timing and the disposal?

They were in game decisions which could have gone either way.

My biggest concern is LOB subscribing to the Adam Saad school of running bounces. The practice of taking three bounces in the time/distance where one is required is altogether the least intelligent part of the equation. The missed bounce is what stuffed up the entire episode. Is it lack of composure? Is it lairising? It is beyond me. Pretty sure Saad was “caught” earlier in the day bouncing when contacted by an opposition player after taking three strides or so.

It is unfathomable that this practice hasn’t been remedied.

Again FWIW, LOB should be in the 22, playing on “his” wing. Love Hollands, is a very smart footballer and running machine. Given our lack of substance in the high half forward area, Dutchy should be starting of HHF and playing mop up around the ground. The role that was tailored for Walshy last year. Surely we have learned by now that we can’t carry the flaky combination of Fisher, Martin and Owies in that area of the ground. Each has their positives, but too often come with negatives which demand upgrade or at very least role modification. The Forrest Gump quote does not apply to league footballers. We have too many in the “life’s like a box of chocolates…” category.

Smart, invested and 100% committed footballers please.
I think the philosophy with the early, frequent bouncing is that:
  • It's easier to bounce while you're accelerating than when you're at top speed.
  • If you take the bounce when you have time and are balanced, then if you are confronted, you have the liberty of putting your foot on the accelerator for 15m rather than having already exhausted a portion of your distance.
That's the rationale I think I've been able to deduce.

I think the philosophy with the early, frequent bouncing is that:
  • It's easier to bounce while you're accelerating than when you're at top speed.
  • If you take the bounce when you have time and are balanced, then if you are confronted, you have the liberty of putting your foot on the accelerator for 15m rather than having already exhausted a portion of your distance.
That's the rationale I think I've been able to deduce.
I think I recall that Saad has said that he uses that first bounce to kinda clear his head and set himself for whatever comes next (hopefully a faster run out of the blocks than when he was dragged down on Thursday...)

Exactly. Just because LOB had the opportunity to run into an open field doesn't mean he should've.
When teams are just holding onto a lead with 3 mins left on the clock the right strategy is either:
1. Keepings off via short kicks, OR
2. Long kick down the line to a contest
These are the lowest risk plays in terms of holding onto a lead in this particular scenario.
Running into the open field was not the percentage play.
I don't know who he could've kicked a short ball to at the point he got the ball (especially as it was via handball and he had to get moving - not potting Motlop at all). I'm pessimistic here but I think Richmond would've been far hungrier to intercept one of what, 5-8 loose, backwards short kicks than our players would've been to actually attack the ball to mark them

Coaches' Votes

10 -
Daniel Rioli (RICH)
6 - Lewis Young (CARL)
4 -
Dion Prestia (RICH)
4 - Toby Nankervis (RICH)
3 - Tim Taranto (RICH)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)

I don't know who he could've kicked a short ball to at the point he got the ball (especially as it was via handball and he had to get moving - not potting Motlop at all). I'm pessimistic here but I think Richmond would've been far hungrier to intercept one of what, 5-8 loose, backwards short kicks than our players would've been to actually attack the ball to mark them

Pretty sure it's the way most sides would be drilled now - you don't want to be trying to run down the clock in your back half when you're only up by a single kick. Opposition pressed up, our fresh sub wing found himself with most of the field open in front of him and he took it. After every bounce he looked inboard for a teammate - literally every time you can see him glance toward the middle, then he had one bounce that nearly did him in and elected to take the kick before another running bounce. It was an almost carbon copy of a play against Collingwood in the practice game, except in that instance he handballed out into space ahead of himself and then ran onto the ball. Put the hammer down, outran his opponent over 40m, and then delivered to (I think it was Harry as well) with a pinpoint pass.

Harry keeps his feet and/or marks that ball anyway, and LOB is being hailed as a match-winner.

Pretty sure it's the way most sides would be drilled now - you don't want to be trying to run down the clock in your back half when you're only up by a single kick.
For all the talk of how poorly we tried to ice the last 99 seconds, did anyone see the North game?

Hugh Greenwood, the 31 year old in his 86th game, won a free kick at CHF, 60m out with 60 seconds to go and North 4 points up.
Instead of looking for a target to ice the game, he goes the bomb from outside his range, it is rushed through and West Coast have plenty of time to get a score. North got lucky, but it was a much worse play than than Motlop/LOB, by a much more senior player, in a better position.

Coaches' Votes

10 -
Daniel Rioli (RICH)
6 - Lewis Young (CARL)
4 -
Dion Prestia (RICH)
4 - Toby Nankervis (RICH)
3 - Tim Taranto (RICH)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)
We should keep a tally this year of how many opposition half back gets coaches votes against us. Last year it would have been substantial and that is not a good start to 2023.

For all the talk of how poorly we tried to ice the last 99 seconds, did anyone see the North game?

Hugh Greenwood, the 31 year old in his 86th game, won a free kick at CHF, 60m out with 60 seconds to go and North 4 points up.
Instead of looking for a target to ice the game, he goes the bomb from outside his range, it is rushed through and West Coast have plenty of time to get a score. North got lucky, but it was a much worse play than than Motlop/LOB, by a much more senior player, in a better position.
That’s prob one of the reasons he’s only played 86 games 😜😜

Not exactly encouraging being compared to Norf ....

1.42min left on the clock (Score - Us 58, them 52)

Gov kicks out of Tigers defence to Motlop

Motlop handballs to LOB

LOB's run & pinpoint pass to Harry & if Harry had marked the ball instead of slipping/falling over, could have shaved 30sec off the clock, kicked a behind or goal and game OVER!

You can almost guarantee that LOB did a little poo in his pants when that last bounce went for a little skid (pardon the pun).

A lot of what-ifs in that one passage of play.
What if Weiters was called for the block on Lynch?
What if Gov fumbled the mark or kick to Mots?
What if Mots held the ball? With Blues and Tigers players all rushing forward ahead of the ball, all of his options might have dried up and his decision might have been worse.
What if LOB went to Harry at the first opportunity? He might have shanked the kick, or kicked a floater, giving Tigers defenders a chance to get to it, or Harry might have still slipped or fumbled the mark.
What if Harry didn't slip? He also could have tried to make his marking attempt on his knees just "accidentally" go over the boundary for a throw in.
What if all our downhill skiers, who should have been running forward in support, were in position to defend the turnover?

Back