Autopsy 2023 Round 1 DRAW. Ugly Blues still can't close out games

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

LoB's kick in the circumstances was elite. He kicked over the heads of the two Richmond front players and into Harry's chest right into an impossibly small gap - awful criticism of that particular kick in this thread- just awful. I wasn't at the ground so could only see what the TV showed - but even if LoB running full tilt had centering options and didn't see them and decided that Harry was going to be the match winner - that kick itself not the Harry slip was 10/10.
“It’s one thing to teach, it’s another thing to learn. Lochie O’Brien had no idea what he was doing late in the game. No idea. ‘Dumb players get you sacked’ is a Robert Walls-ism. He would’ve been furious this morning.” I just read this, quite telling. I feel that Carlton do not have many players that posses a high football I.Q. In fact, we seem to have more than our fair share of dumb footballers.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Two of those (Richmond) blokes were ahead of Harry when he took off from centre wing. He started running from the wing, diagonally at about the same time as LOB received the ball. He ran unbelievably hard and fast to be in that position in the first place.

That's about a 100m sprint. At the end of 120min of football.
Was seriously impressive to see live from a high vantage point.

Everyone giving him a blast for slipping on the wet grass needs their head read. He slipped. s**t happens. At least he got there.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Making the observation that he slipped is not giving him a blast.

“It’s one thing to teach, it’s another thing to learn. Lochie O’Brien had no idea what he was doing late in the game. No idea. ‘Dumb players get you sacked’ is a Robert Walls-ism. He would’ve been furious this morning.” I just read this, quite telling. I feel that Carlton do not have many players that posses a high football I.Q. In fact, we seem to have more than our fair share of dumb footballers.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he went against team orders and coaching - he will get some 'feedback' from the coaches I guess. As will Motlop - plenty of other examples if people would like to isolate instances of poor play that are less ambiguous though. Have a look at the defensive stats in the forward line - 4 rotations there that all played way below par for most of the game.

The game was very different to a couple of the other I games I watched so far with finalists contenders - much more dour and contested. I wouldn't be writing off Carlton or Richmond just yet.

A fair bit of over reaction to Thursday’s first game.

Listening to a few podcasts you’d assume the world had ended.

We played poorly in a scrappy game - Richmond pride themselves on not providing a rhythm teams can work with & it showed.

Let’s move on - we didn’t lose our promising list after one week.

FYI - in the 8 after week one.

Move on!

Kudos to Lewis Young on this game. I was a bit worried about him based on how he played in the practice matches but he was very solid with only a few dodgy moments. He has set a standard which I hope he can maintain for the year. Big test for him coming up this week.

Lewis did play well, not sure if it's just me, but I don't ‘trust him’ just yet. Like for Weit bot, I reckon he makes the right call 95% of the time when the balls in his area, and I don't expect him to win every contest... But with Lewis I'm still a bit like (during the game), hmm what’s he gonna do here? (he still makes me nervous)

Hard to hit a target when your teammate constantly loses his footing.

What boots is H wearing? Never seen a player lose his footing more than H.
I agree, and the kick couldnt have been better for H.

H doesnt slip and we're celebrating 'pinching' a win.

Before that, LOB shouldnt have got the handball recieve from Mots.

Mors shouldve held it up and let LOB run to provide a target upfield.
The ball gets to LOB and he marks it...game over.

Even when LOB was bouncing the ball and it rolled in front of him, he should have let it roll OOB.

But his kick to H was absolutely perfect.
Its unfortunate that H slipped and yes something needs to be done about that.
He slips far too often.
Not sure if its the boots or if its when he is outnumbered or thinks he'll lose the contest he falls over to try and win a free?

Not sure?

But hey its round one, if nothing has changed in four weeks then we should really worry.

Assuming this is our standard and we have something seriously to worry about after one round is a bit of an overreaction really.

Breathe Baggers breathe!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having been through similar to SOS, though as a coach...

It really hurts, you invest so much of your time and effort to help make everyone happy...
It not only effects you, it also effects your children and family...

I still went and watched my son's play and the B&F...

Even though those involved have been moved on, would like the club to publicly acknowledge they did wrong,
apologise and reiterate the family is always welcome at Carlton...

It takes 5 seconds and heals a family that has given so much of their lives to our club...

Many would detest that idea... But its free, helps heal an obviously hurting club legend and is probably the right thing to do...

Then we can all move on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't blame LOB for that piece of play, I blame the other forwards who were nowhere for him to kick to and had let their men get a 3 on 1 v Harry.
They had pushed into defense to shore up numbers.
They can run but thay aint superhuman.

Mots shouldn't have given the ball to LOB.
When he did, LOB did about as well as he could have...the kick was perfect but H slipped.

It should never have got that far though that quickly.

Round one!

Last edited:
The comms at the ground claim H was open earlier. Hit that target and it’s over. Reverse the ball through Motlop and it’s over. Acres takes the mark and we get another life. LOB looked like a junior with a bag of lollies.
LOBs kick would have to have travelled 60m and hit him lace out.

Those Richmond defenders were there. They didn't just appear when the ball was about to land on H's head.

An earlier kick wouldnt have got to H.
Also considering the ball rolled as he was bouncing it too.

I was hoping LOB would let it roll OOB.
(Same as a ruckman or tall killing a late down the line kick)

If i was critical of him it would be for that.

None of us were in the moment though and sht happens.

Round one!
We'll be ok

Thought crippa should have got a few free kicks, can’t be cuddled for the whole game
Yep i couldn't believe what he had to deal with and the umps weren't watching at all.
Id like to also mention the three goals they got for blatant push in the backs that went unnoticed also.

They were doing that all night.
Nankervis was pushing and manhandling TDK especially in boundary throw ins.

Richmond push out constantly, so do Melbourne.
Max Gawn is the teflon man...but i digress.

Hahaha

The fans voting suggests it's a commonly held view that Saad and McGovern were not good.

9 interceptions to match all his fumbles, turnovers and dropped marks.
Was his first competitive game other than a praccy.
He probably needed the run.

Yeah he made some mistakes but he also saved us just as many times.

Give the bloke a chance

So kick an 80 metre low dry pass to a leading forward from deep wing ya reckon?🥱
Yep LOB has apparently developed a skill than no one has ever possessed.
The 80m bullet pass to hit a leading full forward in the guts.

Pretty impressive for a 'non AFL standard VFL footballer'.
Hahaha

People say he's crap and not up to it, but expect him to do superhuman stuff to win the game!

As if its expected hahaha

He’s so childish that if Jack was marrying Liddle’s daughter he probably wouldn’t show up at the wedding and disowned and never talked to Jack ever again…

And still think he was completely in the right

I’m glad we got the 100 out of the way because I don’t see Jack at the club after this year, we aren’t going to pay him top dollar and there will be clubs willing to offer more and a Dad that I think is hell bent on not wanting him to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The AFL is a very juvenile petulant environment.
Many man children that will never grow up.
Players, ex players and fans alike.

All of that can be true and it can still not be the general public's business.

Sure. But for all reasons below it’s a worthy discussion point.

When you say it's a "terrible look" - who is the observer here and why does their opinion matter?

We’re all observers.

Does our opinion matter on anything we’re not a part of? Why are we here on this forum?

SOS has no current relationship with the CFC and therefore no obligation to them whatsoever.
Of course he has a relationship.

He’s one of our greatest ever and his son is a current player.

Sure, he’s not obliged to do anything. I never suggested otherwise.
It's no secret that he didn't part with the club on good terms and now works for a rival club.
Working for a rival club isn’t relevant.

It’s not uncommon for opposition players to end up in the rooms if their brother is playing in a milestone or important game.

We also don't know his exact motivations for not attending - he may have felt that poor relationship or previous conflict with several in attendance would create tension or awkwardness for Jack and the rest of the family.
We don’t, but it doesn’t take a genius to figure it out.

And we sure as hell know it’s not because he was “tired”.

He does have an obligation to his son and family, so if they have worked out things in private (possibly including a private celebration that none of us would even be aware of) and the whole family is happy, then why is there a story here other than media sensationalism?

As above. It’s a story because of the name, the family, and the history with the club.

Just because they’re comfortable with it, doesn’t mean it’s not worthy of discussion.

Maybe I’m wrong, but when Jack retires I’d be surprised if this chapter isn’t looked back on with a tinge of regret.

Sure. But for all reasons below it’s a worthy discussion point.

We’re all observers.

Does our opinion matter on anything we’re not a part of? Why are we here on this forum?
I think the difference in this case is that it's not about our football performance or the governance of the club or anything like that. It's just gossip.

Now there are some people out there (the Kardashians of the world) who like nothing better than to have others gossiping about them. But when someone makes it clear they don't want to be gossiped about, as Ben has in this instance, I consider it good form to respect their wishes.

Back