Autopsy 2023 Round 1 DRAW. Ugly Blues still can't close out games

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know what improvements to the game plan were focused on all preseason. It was glaringly obvious that the same weaknesses were present. Defensive transition was absolutely appalling.
But we did not win contested and our defence was resolute against 66 inside 50s

When will all our forwards work to keep the ball in the forward line? Its not just the smalls, Charlie does not chase and does not move around enough to lead and create space. It's pretty basic stuff but our gameplan must dictate that our attacks start from just outside the opposition's goal square.
This. Go watch Dunstall tapes. He wanted the entire game played in his 50 and chased and scragged accordingly.

He’s so childish that if Jack was marrying Liddle’s daughter he probably wouldn’t show up at the wedding and disowned and never talked to Jack ever again…

And still think he was completely in the right

I’m glad we got the 100 out of the way because I don’t see Jack at the club after this year, we aren’t going to pay him top dollar and there will be clubs willing to offer more and a Dad that I think is hell bent on not wanting him to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Jack was marrying Liddle's daughter SoS would have a piece in his tux

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perspective time:

Spoke with someone who has seen down the ground vision of the game plus other angles…

Tigers changed their game style to stifle ours. Wanted to do everything possible to flood corridor to stop any chance of quick delivery into our forward line, obviously their backs (all backs in the comp) can’t stop our talls one out. Tigers happy for us to switch as long as it was outside of corridor( outside of center square train lines). Cerra targeted, Saad targeted, Doc targeted all because of foot skills. Kennedy and Ed allowed to run to receive. Our HF’s dragged too far up the ground, mostly on fishing expeditions by HB’s which flooded the corridor. ‘Missing Williams run’.

Speed was an issue. Hollands was great, what a motor and great composure.

Tigers cut off our kicks to the 45 degrees which forced boundary line kicks, which take out one of our talls and makes it easier to defend and intercept. We went too slow at times for fear of error.

Walsh inclusion will straighten us up as he runs the corridor better than most at speed.

Better for the run and plenty to learn from. Pretty much the blue print when playing the Blues.

*worst player for the Pies to lose through injury…
Was there any feedback on what we did to stifle Richmond's game style?

Interesting stat. Prestia only had 1 disposal in the last quarter after Curnow went to him. Could come in handy this year if a player is running hot
cooler curnow

All of that can be true and it can still not be the general public's business.

Yep. SOS is a former player and former list manager. The key word is “former”. I don’t have the energy for anyone that isn’t employed by this football club. I also think that JSOS gives less of a s**t about it than some of our supporters or members of the media.

I think this headline is a little unfair… It’s a new season and I reckon there were far more good signs than bad. Watching the game over and there’s a lot of things that will put us in good stead for the rest of the year. Just got to work on our execution and keeping the concentration levels high no matter the environment. The roles of individuals, the shape of our team with and without the footy looks like it will hold up throughout the season. I’m feeling very optimistic on what’s to come.

To those that are defending LOB on that last play, yes - his kick was good and a Harry fell over but you needed to be at the game to see how it really unfolded. The TV coverage simply didn’t show it well at all because you don’t see Harry until the kick comes in.

When LOB received the ball, Harry was 40-50m clear, pretty much the only player in our fwd half. If LOB kicked it to him earlier he could have fallen over, re-tied his shoe laces, blown kisses to his mum, had a cup of tea and then strolled into an open goal. Each bounce he took significantly reduced Harry’s advantage.

Was an example of dumb football.
That's why they need to stop picking him.

I'm not.

Love SOS but it's a terrible look to not be there for his son's celebration, regardless of how bitter he is about his departure from the club.

Ben shouldn't be biting.

When you say it's a "terrible look" - who is the observer here and why does their opinion matter?

SOS has no current relationship with the CFC and therefore no obligation to them whatsoever. It's no secret that he didn't part with the club on good terms and now works for a rival club. We also don't know his exact motivations for not attending - he may have felt that poor relationship or previous conflict with several in attendance would create tension or awkwardness for Jack and the rest of the family.

He does have an obligation to his son and family, so if they have worked out things in private (possibly including a private celebration that none of us would even be aware of) and the whole family is happy, then why is there a story here other than media sensationalism?

Last edited:
Back