Autopsy 2023 Round 1 DRAW. Ugly Blues still can't close out games

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s great to see Collingwood and Carlton in the top two spots on the ladder right now! Back to the good old days. Can’t wait till our next match with them when we put the wood on them.

And if the Pies can topple the Premiers it should be a cinch for our boys next week. All we need to add to the team mix is a little Honey, a teaspoon of Dur and a leg of Ham and it’s all over red rover.

Perspective time:

Spoke with someone who has seen down the ground vision of the game plus other angles…

Tigers changed their game style to stifle ours. Wanted to do everything possible to flood corridor to stop any chance of quick delivery into our forward line, obviously their backs (all backs in the comp) can’t stop our talls one out. Tigers happy for us to switch as long as it was outside of corridor( outside of center square train lines). Cerra targeted, Saad targeted, Doc targeted all because of foot skills. Kennedy and Ed allowed to run to receive. Our HF’s dragged too far up the ground, mostly on fishing expeditions by HB’s which flooded the corridor. ‘Missing Williams run’.

Speed was an issue. Hollands was great, what a motor and great composure.

Tigers cut off our kicks to the 45 degrees which forced boundary line kicks, which take out one of our talls and makes it easier to defend and intercept. We went too slow at times for fear of error.

Walsh inclusion will straighten us up as he runs the corridor better than most at speed.

Better for the run and plenty to learn from. Pretty much the blue print when playing the Blues.

*worst player for the Pies to lose through injury…

Perspective time:

Spoke with someone who has seen down the ground vision of the game plus other angles…

Tigers changed their game style to stifle ours. Wanted to do everything possible to flood corridor to stop any chance of quick delivery into our forward line, obviously their backs (all backs in the comp) can’t stop our talls one out. Tigers happy for us to switch as long as it was outside of corridor( outside of center square train lines). Cerra targeted, Saad targeted, Doc targeted all because of foot skills. Kennedy and Ed allowed to run to receive. Our HF’s dragged too far up the ground, mostly on fishing expeditions by HB’s which flooded the corridor. ‘Missing Williams run’.

Speed was an issue. Hollands was great, what a motor and great composure.

Tigers cut off our kicks to the 45 degrees which forced boundary line kicks, which take out one of our talls and makes it easier to defend and intercept. We went too slow at times for fear of error.

Walsh inclusion will straighten us up as he runs the corridor better than most at speed.

Better for the run and plenty to learn from. Pretty much the blue print when playing the Blues.

*worst player for the Pies to lose through injury…
Any idea if our coaches box did anything to counter this, to get it back on our terms

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

One thing I noticed, and we haven't done anything to change it from last year, is that we have too many players around the contest when the ball goes to ground, whether it be helping a team mate in possession, or someone laying a tackle on the OP.

We just don't need to continue clutter the situation, and no one is smart enough to sit outside of the pack and get the loose balls. Tigers did, and ran the ball straight back into their forward line every time.

Need to stop the stupid pile-on mentality and start covering opponents.

Any idea if our coaches box did anything to counter this, to get it back on our terms

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Backed in original setup as it’s only round 1 and we were in an arm wrestle.

Hard to change style in game when leg speed was the only real cure.

Gov didn’t get up into the midfield as much as last year with his speed and delivery. Tigers kept pulling him back deep…

As I said, plenty to work on but must find a yard of speed!

One thing I noticed, and we haven't done anything to change it from last year, is that we have too many players around the contest when the ball goes to ground, whether it be helping a team mate in possession, or someone laying a tackle on the OP.

We just don't need to continue clutter the situation, and no one is smart enough to sit outside of the pack and get the loose balls. Tigers did, and ran the ball straight back into their forward line every time.

Bit hard to change that mentality when you have Cripps, Hewett Kennedy and Ed all playing the same role!

I would role the dice and change out 2 for Walsh and another…

Bit hard to change that mentality when you have Cripps, Hewett Kennedy and Ed all playing the same role!

I would role the dice and change out 2 for Walsh and another…
Strangely enough I's not usually them, it's players like Fisher & Owies, who aren't getting the ball, and think they are helping out.

Walsh? He has a few weeks left on the sidelines I'd have thought. No way I'd be rushing him back. We need him at 100% because he's going to have to quite obviously carry us again for the rest of the season.

Yep. That's little league stuff. Have at least one player standing off to take a handball.

Interesting stat. Prestia only had 1 disposal in the last quarter after Curnow went to him. Could come in handy this year if a player is running hot
I said before the game I wouldn't mind Curnow doing a defensive job on someone.

Tbh I love Ed but I think he's past it as being a starting mid in any role aside from tagging. Which is fine, I have no issue having a stopper in the team.

Same with flying for marks.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

SOS not being there for his son after the game, wow. He is the link, to his own father, and on to his son. I don't care what politics or tension (family or otherwise) might be going on, as a father you suck it up and celebrate him and the heritage. That's sad.
I wonder what Jo thinks of it all, it’s not sad, it’s embarrassing that a grown man is so childish and churlish

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backed in original setup as it’s only round 1 and we were in an arm wrestle.

Hard to change style in game when leg speed was the only real cure.

Gov didn’t get up into the midfield as much as last year with his speed and delivery. Tigers kept pulling him back deep…

As I said, plenty to work on but must find a yard of speed!

Selection is pretty obvious this week then going by that.

I’d be replacing JSOS/Martin/Owies with Pitto/Durdin and Dow or Honey (one of them sub)
I’d put Hollands on HF and give him license to run and create in the Walsh half forward role, O’Brien on the wing.

Not sure where else that pace is going to come from at the moment.

He’s so childish that if Jack was marrying Liddle’s daughter he probably wouldn’t show up at the wedding and disowned and never talked to Jack ever again…

And still think he was completely in the right

I’m glad we got the 100 out of the way because I don’t see Jack at the club after this year, we aren’t going to pay him top dollar and there will be clubs willing to offer more and a Dad that I think is hell bent on not wanting him to be there.

Would you be disappointed if your family didn't come to your watch presentation for 25 year service?
It's not like he missed his birthday or his wedding.
He was there and chose to sit in the car.

It’s not a hangable offence but it’s childish and petty and there’s no real argument otherwise

I said it after pre season games I will say it again -- we still can't kick out from a behind with any system as we can't move the ball from deep fifty with any system ..
We can not defend a sides kick in from behind or transition from our deep defensive 50 on rebound very often allowing sides shots scoring opportunities moving the ball through and past 18 players ..
For me it is our half fwds and wings and hb are not on the same page with our mids creating space and overlap or closing down space and restricting overlap ..
for me we don't get any bang for buck from our small fwds in transition or locking the ball in and if you are going to bang long dumps to 15metres out you need to be great at ground ball or defensive pressure and unfortunately our boys didnt show either last night --
When will all our forwards work to keep the ball in the forward line? Its not just the smalls, Charlie does not chase and does not move around enough to lead and create space. It's pretty basic stuff but our gameplan must dictate that our attacks start from just outside the opposition's goal square.

I wonder what Jo thinks of it all, it’s not sad, it’s embarrassing that a grown man is so childish and churlish

Kevin Bartlett syndrome. Sorry but smacks of a guy who has had a charmed ride through life blessed with some god-given talent (and courage) who now can’t quite handle rejection.

Isn’t the first list manager to be moved on and won’t be the last

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you be disappointed if your family didn't come to your watch presentation for 25 year service?
It's not like he missed his birthday or his wedding.

this particular “25 year service presentation” took 65 years across three generations.

it was a unique accomplishment that belongs to Jack, Serge and Stephen.

If Sos stayed away because he felt slighted, that’s pretty poor behaviour.

Different If he stayed away because he wanted it to be about Jack, though.

I'm with Ben.

I'm not.

Love SOS but it's a terrible look to not be there for his son's celebration, regardless of how bitter he is about his departure from the club.

Ben shouldn't be biting.

Back