Preview R10: Changes v Pies, 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Worry a bit rushing Schoenburg back in on a quick dry cold deck against the Pies.

Can easily see him pinging something chasing a player hard down the wing.

Murphy for McHenry is probably the most underwhelming 'change' you could make.

Knowing Nick's form given we got 'close' and drew, expect only forced changes....

Worry a bit rushing Schoenburg back in on a quick dry cold deck against the Pies.

Can easily see him pinging something chasing a player hard down the wing.

Murphy for McHenry is probably the most underwhelming 'change' you could make.

Knowing Nick's form given we got 'close' and drew, expect only forced changes....
Rushing him back? He’s played 4 weeks in the sanfl

I have already stated Curtin needs to go back to SANFL but thats because the club wants to persist in playing Curtin in a set position. I would be more than happy to give him a go on the wing and see what he can do with a different set of restrictions. I want to see the youngsters get a chance. Would prefer to replace Mchenry with Curtin instead of Murphy.
Perfect excuse to keep playing Curtin in AFL. Worrell is injured and Crows won't make finals. Great opportunity to give him some experience.

Speaking of experience, isn't this what Smith is in the team for, to help guide the younger defenders?

On motorola edge 30 pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

But where did butts play?..
He definitely played in defence but I know what you're talking about. He got a bit of the ball up around the defensive side of the square, sometimes very soon after a centre bounce. My feeling is he was following Hipwood who does come up towards the midfield at times.

Definitely not the defender I want getting the ball in the middle of the ground if we have a choice, but it doesn't feel like a plan. If you look at his heat map only Keane was deeper really.

Notable players I could see with white tops in match sim
Curtin
Ryan
Borlase
Burgess
Strachan
Berry
Cook
McHenry
Cook, Curtin and McHenry? Hard for me to imagine us making three unforced changes plus Worrell out, plus some of the guys we'd bring in for Worrell/Curtin are also in that list, so I think at least two of that group plays.

Schoenberg in seems very likely, maybe Murphy as well with Worrell and one of that Curtin/Cook/McHenry group the outs?

Mchenry and Cook for Schoenburg and Murphy looks to be firming from the info above... :think:

Still think better shuffling Hinge/Nank to be the 'third tall' against the smaller Pies forward line and letting Curtin still play as general half back or wing.

Last edited:
Cook, Curtin and McHenry? Hard for me to imagine us making three unforced changes plus Worrell out, plus some of the guys we'd bring in for Worrell/Curtin are also in that list, so I think at least two of that group plays.

Schoenberg in seems very likely, maybe Murphy as well with Worrell and one of that Curtin/Cook/McHenry group the outs?
Yep, Schoenberg very much looks an in. Two of those last 3 are out and one stays in as sub I reckon.

Schoenberg for Worrell
Nank for Curtin
Murphy for McHenry

Cook is the one I'm struggling to figure out a replacement for, makes me think he's the likely sub.

Yep, Schoenberg very much looks an in. Two of those last 3 are out and one stays in as sub I reckon.

Schoenberg for Worrell
Nank for Curtin
Murphy for McHenry

Cook is the one I'm struggling to figure out a replacement for, makes me think he's the likely sub.
‘Nicksey’s Choice’

It’s a stain on the entire history & performance of this organisation that they have ended up with apparently needing one of these unskilled headless chicken “pressure” players to be in the team at all times over Nicks’ tenure to play the football ‘he’ needs the team to play his game style and it’s hysterical/deplorable those 2 players are the only 2 players that are apparently interchangeable between each other for that shape keeping/pressure/push up half forward role on an entire list of 40 odd players.

Schoenberg with the A team top on…

It’s potentially looking like Schoenberg for Worrell, with Nank into 22
Cook or Curtin to sub
Murphy for McHenry (just assuming here as couldn’t see Murphy in the pictures or videos on insta)
Cook had the white top.

Reckon it’s
Out: Worrell, Cook, Curtin, McHenry
In: Nank, Berry, Shoenberg, Murphy

Sub: Shoenberg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry had the white top on as well
Reading Nicks presser now and it looks like Borlase or Hamill. Seriously, Hamill? “He’s been in our system for a long time now” yeah we know Nicks, you keep dropping him because he’s not good enough and is likely to be delisted, but hey let’s play him. How about the half back you drafted with a first round pick in Ryan?

I'll never understand the fixation with having one of Murphy or McHenry in the team but have stopped caring now.
Yep, the Thursday night anger has been set aside for glum acceptance

I'll never understand the fixation with having one of Murphy or McHenry in the team but have stopped caring now.

We cater to the poorly skilled.

Reading Nicks presser now and it looks like Borlase or Hamill. Seriously, Hamill? “He’s been in our system for a long time now” yeah we know Nicks, you keep dropping him because he’s not good enough and is likely to be delisted, but hey let’s play him. How about the half back you drafted with a first round pick in Ryan?
Nicks has an obsession with Hamill’s hustle like he has an obsession with Ned & Murphy’s hustle, it is one of his main issues as a coach. It’s a bit like Buckley at Collingwood but at the opposite end of the talent scale, he self inserts himself into the shoes of a player on the list and has a soft-spot for those players who he views try to get the most out of themselves.

It seemingly can go one of 2 ways when you have an absolute scrapper as a player become coach as they usually view players more evenly on the same playing field as they know how hard it was for them but that view sometimes does mean a lot of the time it’s only the very best coaches like your Pagan or Clarkson’s who were scrappers as players & were able to relate more to the lower tier players but they were also able to develop a system where the bottom 10 in a team were brought up to a level where they were able to compliment the more talented players.

The problem with Nicks is because of his old school footballing philosophy (you respect the veteran players in a football club and you get reward for effort) and where the club was when he inherited it he takes the views that he needs to reward more of these players that will give everything even if they’re not that talented and he’ll say this selection philosophy is needed because you don’t have 22 Rankine’s or Dawson’s on the list but the problem is his view skews too far towards these type of players and he also doesn’t have the talent as a coach or the system in place that’s able to bring bottom 10 players up to a level where they can compliment and reliably help the more talented in the team on a consistent basis.

Get ready for Lachlan Murphy to return and spud it up big time against the Pies.
Away game under pressure?

Murphy's cryptonite.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You would have thought with Keays assuming a half forward role, we wouldn't need to bother with another hard running 'shape keeper' like Murphy or Ned.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Notable players I could see with white tops in match sim
Curtin
Ryan
Borlase
Burgess
Strachan
Berry
Cook
McHenry
So Schoenberg, Murphy & Hamill appear to be ins.

Worrell & 2 of Curtin, Cook & McHenry outs.

I'm going to guess.
Hamill for Worrell
Murphy for McHenry
Schoenberg for Cook
Nankervis comes in 22 for Curtin
Cook as sub... but should be Murphy

Cooking Curtin.
Curtins for Cook.
Yuck!

It’s pretty obvious Nicks isn’t picking Curtin. He was non-committal when asked about him. Danced around it and trotted out more BS dribble he learnt at the Ken Hinkley School of Coaching Dumb F#uckery.

He could become a politician. Proficient in the art of bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back