Preview R11: Changes vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with all in your good post but this:
Although Gollant probably a better option for the future.
Gollant pinch hit Ruck craft gets the job done, his forward craft a concern.
I reckon he should've made himself a best-22 by now, if he was ever gonna do it (albeit from limited opportunities).
The pinch-hit-Ruck is an asset, but it's the forward option traits that need work and those are what he's selected for.

Nicks certainly knows how to inspire.
I have become comfortably numb, with expectations at an all-time low.
I would say I can't wait until Nicks is gone but his replacement will much of the same. Hard gig being a Crows supporter.
Yes; sure is.
One of the worst clubs in the competition.
For overall performance at all levels I agree, but it pains me.
Some people can switch allegiances and several times over the last 7 years I've wished I was one of them.
Can't do it. Loyalty rules :sadv1: .

I hope Schoenberg plays.

Would prefer McMurphy out. But expect both to play.

Reckon Burgess for Himmelberg makes sense. Although Gollant probably a better option for the future. Gollant pinch hit Ruck craft gets the job done, his forward craft a concern.

Rachele needs to step up this week. Own that Rankine midfield spot for next 3 weeks. Plus Schoenberg.

Worst outcome would be Rankine out increases Laird/Crouch midfield combo.

These two together doesn't work, and the reason Crouch ToG is around 65 to 70%.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
So do I. The only positive in another uninspiring selection week.

i think the selectors believe they are doing the right thing by rewarding continuity and a sense of team within the side by putting great confidence in each and everyone of the players. Whilst this is an admirable strategy in a team which is performing at a high level or which is very young and players are coming up the ranks together - for our current side it rewards mediocrity and rewards players who in the past may have been very good and integral members of the team, but who now are not having the same level of scrutiny on performance that others in the team may face.

It is not bad coaching to drop senior players of the team who are not in form and are not playing to the level of yesteryear and their previous ability level. It is about demanding certain standards of performance. It does not mean that these players cannot return to the side. It is about sending a message to the team that no-one is beyond scrutiny and if your performance does not measure up you will need to find form in the twos to get back into the side.

Smith is one such player that is in this situation. He is not written off but he must give more that he currently is producing whether he is a leader or not.

ROB is another - go back to the reserves and find your marking touch because without it you are not half the player. Its too late for the kicking!!

Pedlar was another - you were not up to the fitness level of last year. Get back to the reserves, work your butt off and then you can once again regain the trust of the group.

Ned was in better form last year but ironically has played more consecutive games this year despite not contributing greatly to the success of our side. Go back to the reserves and work on your decision making and first give.

Keays also needs to be on thin ice. I love his pluck and work ethic but your lack of skills and at times selfish play has cost us games this year.

There are others i can mention but integrity at selection is paramount. Nothing annoys players more when individuals get games despite not playing well week after week.

On the positive side Harry deserves his chance. Although it is not an indicator of success he has worked his butt off and is in the best fitness of his career.

Its high time though that others like Taylor Dowling, Ryan etc get their chance if they are playing better football than their counterparts in the senior team. I thought it would have been a good week too to play Strauchnie, Baby John Burgess has shown nothing at AFL to date that he can play Dragons role or that of Thilthorpe. He is another lead up player in the form of Tex and Fog and it tend to unbalance our side with all 3 there on the field at the one time.

I keep saying if you do the same thing expect to do get the same result. Change is not necessarily bad as we have seen with Brisbane and Collingwood's team in recent weeks.

Last edited:
At the game live and not being in a vegetative state on my couch watching it on the tellie while wiping twistie dust off my fingers (because you're supposed to mention this to seem cool to strangers on the internet) - Hamill was more than serviceable.

Murphy flashed in and out in the first half, did a couple of decent things, but as a leader did precisely the opposite to what a leader should do when the game was on the line, he disappeared.

That is unforgiveable, without even considering how mediocre he has been across the course of his career.
My mates and I drove over for the game and there were no twisties available at the G.

In a Trumpian World many people see only things that reinforce their closely held views. I have consistently said that Murphy is not in our best 22 and I regard Chayce in a similar fashion to Cook. We need them to become good AFL footballers but they are not there at this stage.

At halftime we discussed how we were able to get back into the game when it looked like we were heading towards a 10+ goal thumping. Our collective view was two unusual things occurred. Firstly Murphy was influential setting up scores and even more surprisingly we lifted when Himmelberg went into the ruck.

Chayce played on Lipinski and imho at least broke even with him. Chayce was third in metres gained for us behind Rankine (who was amazing), Keays (who some posters want to drop) with Dawson in fourth spot.

Sholl matched up on Josh Daicos (574 metres gained) and was smashed. I understood why they subbed Sholl, moved Chayce onto Daicos and Cook onto the wing. My question was why didn’t we play Chayce on J Daicos all day?

We all have different perceptions watching the same match, some are supported by the facts = stats, others are not.

How have Sydney gone from battling with us for 8th only a few months ago to the most dominant team in the competition this year?
I was wondering the same thing watching them come back to crush Carlton last week.
Where have we gone wrong and they've gone right?
Decent Coach for one + have recruited players with skill first and foremost.

I agree with all in your good post but this:

I reckon he should've made himself a best-22 by now, if he was ever gonna do it (albeit from limited opportunities).
The pinch-hit-Ruck is an asset, but it's the forward option traits that need work and those are what he's selected for.
Agree.

He has talent. Just can't get involved in the game enough.

BACCS post the other day said there are clubs circling.
Big bodied, genuine midfielders are like diamonds. Ironically we need another more than most clubs but we refuse to play him.

The club that tries to defend its horrendous drafting record yet refuses to play draftees who it obviously don't rate. Bit of a contradiction isn't it. If we are sticking solid with players like Jones, Keays, McHendry and Murphy, who are making game defining errors who regularly go missing, than we obviously don't rate our recruiting.

It must be disheartening for young players like Dowling. You bust your guts in the seconds week after week while underperforming senior players are rewarded despite poor performances. If I'm the parent of Dowling (or Curtin) I'm advising him to start considering offers from other clubs.

Such an arrogant club.

Last edited:
i think the selectors believe they are doing the right thing by rewarding continuity and a sense of team within the side by putting great confidence in each and everyone of the players. Whilst this is an admirable strategy in a team which is performing at a high level or which is very young and players are coming up the ranks together - for our current side it rewards mediocrity and rewards players who in the past may have been very good and integral members of the team, but who now are not having the same level of scrutiny on performance that others in the team may face.

It is not bad coaching to drop senior players of the team who are not in form and are not playing to the level of yesteryear and their previous ability level. It is about demanding certain standards of performance. It does not mean that these players cannot return to the side. It is about sending a message to the team that no-one is beyond scrutiny and if your performance does not measure up you will need to find form in the twos to get back into the side.

Smith is one such player that is in this situation. He is not written off but he must give more that he currently is producing whether he is a leader or not.

ROB is another - go back to the reserves and find your marking touch because without it you are not half the player. Its too late for the kicking!!

Pedlar was another - you were not up to the fitness level of last year. Get back to the reserves, work your butt off and then you can once again regain the trust of the group.

Ned was in better form last year but ironically has played more consecutive games this year despite not contributing greatly to the success of our side. Go back to the reserves and work on your decision making and first give.

Keays also needs to be on thin ice. I love his pluck and work ethic but your lack of skills and at times selfish play has cost us games this year.

There are others i can mention but integrity at selection is paramount. Nothing annoys players more when individuals get games despite not playing well week after week.

On the positive side Harry deserves his chance. Although it is not an indicator of success he has worked his butt off and is in the best fitness of his career.

Its high time though that others like Taylor Dowling, Ryan etc get their chance if they are playing better football than their counterparts in the senior team. I thought it would have been a good week too to play Strauchnie, Baby John Burgess has shown nothing at AFL to date that he can play Dragons role or that of Thilthorpe. He is another lead up player in the form of Tex and Fog and it tend to unbalance our side with all 3 there on the field at the one time.

I keep saying if you do the same thing expect to do get the same result. Change is not necessarily bad as we have seen with Brisbane and Collingwood's team in recent weeks.
Bit of a word-salad there, bigman , but you make a very good point about playing uderperforming seniors over more youthful talent with this:
" It is about demanding certain standards of performance. It does not mean that these players cannot return to the side. It is about sending a message to the team that no-one is beyond scrutiny and if your performance does not measure up you will need to find form in the twos to get back into the side."
Many other Clubs have no problem dropping underperforming seniors (it's one of Hinkley's rare qualities) and sometimes a senior with integrity and team-first ethic asks to be dropped to find form.
Smith would display some real leadership if he did that.
Rewarding mediocrity is counter-productive, but the Club itself did that by extending Nicks for 2 years so it's a problem that Nicks merely emulates.
Smith and a few others are getting a free ride without Nicks holding them accountable and it's a kind of favoritism that will erode the team's morale, like rust.
It is about sending a message to the team that noon is beyond scrutiny
Yep. I barely pay attention to midday, myself :sneaky: .

Bit of a word-salad there, bigman , but you make a very good point about playing uderperforming seniors over more youthful talent with this:
" It is about demanding certain standards of performance. It does not mean that these players cannot return to the side. It is about sending a message to the team that no-one is beyond scrutiny and if your performance does not measure up you will need to find form in the twos to get back into the side."
Many other Clubs have no problem dropping underperforming seniors (it's one of Hinkley's rare qualities) and sometimes a senior with integrity and team-first ethic asks to be dropped to find form.
Smith would display some real leadership if he did that.
Rewarding mediocrity is counter-productive, but the Club itself did that by extending Nicks for 2 years so it's a problem that Nicks merely emulates.
Smith and a few others are getting a free ride without Nicks holding them accountable and it's a kind of favoritism that will erode the team's morale, like rust.

Yep. I barely pay attention to midday, myself :sneaky: .
A word salad coming from you...WOW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How have Sydney gone from battling with us for 8th only a few months ago to the most dominant team in the competition this year?

They have a better coach and selection team?..

They arent an incipid, shit club run by ultra conservative losers who value garbage players who try hard over talent and skill?..

We wont be going anywhere as a club until the shit that is Nicksy, Roo, Reid, hamish O and a few others are removed.

I would prefer Curtin on the wing. Jones out.

Hamill is showing good signs as an actual small defender.

Did well against Bobby Hill last week.

I also think wing would be an ideal spot to get Curtin into the side.
Lets start using his offensive strengths instead of getting hang out to dry deep in defence.
I'd even be happy for him to have stints on the HFF
But one step at a time, lets get him into the team first

I'd say it's more that fans want the Crows to win but are completely indifferent to losses now that the season is over
I wouldn’t say season is over given 3 teams came back from worse positions last year to make finals and go deep, but it’s hard to get as excited about wins until we can start consistently winning those big games that are close. IF we win the next 3 as we should, then beat Sydney, I would be confident of finals again. Lose any of those 4 and that’s season done for me.

I wouldn’t say season is over given 3 teams came back from worse positions last year to make finals and go deep, but it’s hard to get as excited about wins until we can start consistently winning those big games that are close. IF we win the next 3 as we should, then beat Sydney, I would be confident of finals again. Lose any of those 4 and that’s season done for me.
I think people feel we wont start winning those close and big games until we get some more talent into the side.
We keep picking the same guys that lack talent and skill and getting the same results instead of trying to improve the team.
This brings a lot of apathy to the supporters

He's tracking along well, but as a mostly inside mid there's a dime a dozen out there playing in the 2's.

We need outside run, not more medium sized inside bulls

I disagree, I think Dowling is more a balanced mid/accumulator than an inside bull and if anything is more effective outside the contest, he's one of those guys that can just find the football in bunches but is a pretty conservative user. If he could work on being more damaging with ball in hand I think there's definitely an AFL player there because he's already shown he can also be effective up forward with his aerial ability and scoreboard impact at U18's level. If we bring him in soon I would like to see him utilised on the wing by choice.

Last edited:
Strange how Bacc's cops so much flak on here when it doesn't suit people's agenda but they choose to take his word as gospel when it suits.
You understand why he cops flack yeah? and how that has nothing to do with him passing on intel especially when it’s not pro crow intel.

Yep, from someone whose job it is to keep an eye on talent in other states that aren’t getting regular afl games in contract years. Just passing on information, if you want to ignore it that’s your right.
Dowling is not in a contract year but!!!

So your "someone" must have his contract dates out of kilter, maybe he should get busy in 2026?

Got a ruckman in Grundy, who is feeding their midfield ....SYD had no ruck last year

Heeney into the midfield (due to Mills injury)

Chad Warner has gone to star level ....even the change in body shape is very noticeable & apparently has put in an extraordinary PS

3 changes ....most teams are that far off having great seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back