Preview R4 Sydney vs West Coast "Gather Round"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sub - Mitchell

Why would you leave Mitchell in? I thought it was obvious he’s nowhere near the standard required. Slow as molasses and made repeated errors before disappearing completely in the second half. He might be decent one day, but he’s not there yet.

I understood the selection but I still felt there were better options was hardly glowing praise of it when I don’t think Warner is remotely near ready. Go in with 2-3 players who can’t run out matches and you run the risk. Wouldn’t be against ONE of them as the sub but two?
Such as? I don’t think there were any other small/medium players available who are close to being more ready than Warner or Mitchell.

Both are quite strong runners, with Corey, in particular, finishing near the front of time trials. Obviously the intensity of a senior match is somewhat different to a time trial but he certainly has the raw endurance and pace.

I don’t really understand why (some) people are so down on him. He’s not set the world on fire but he’s been ok in contests, and is playing a role not overly familiar to him. His possession counts haven’t been bad for an inexperienced player in a low possession role. He hasn’t managed to snag a goal from any of the half-chances that have presented but they’ve not been straightforward conversions. He hasn’t been caught out by the pace of the game (in the sense of thinking he has more time than he does). If anything he needs to realise he has a split second longer than he thinks he has.

I’m quite optimistic of what he has to offer and think there’s a good chance things will click for him pretty soon. I don’t expect he’ll be best-23 this year but I think he can offer value as next-man-in for the rest of the season.

Just watched the game, yikes what a mess.
Jordan go have a spell, Hayward, just pathetic, the 3 talls didn’t work and there was absolutely 0 forward pressure.
Heeney the only shining light.
I def believe it’s just an off day but heads need to roll in that forward line.

Amartey is an interesting question in my mind. If he can make it click, he could be immensely valuable. And a forward line with three strong marking targets also has strong appeal - it improves the chance of any one forward being “on” and stretches the defence. It’s also not like all three forwards will always be in the forward line. McLean will head to ruck and all will rest on the line at stages.

However, Amartey’s time on ground is unacceptably low and his versatility is also low. I keep thinking about Parker’s role when he is back, and I find it hard to see how replacing Amartey with Parker does not improve us now in multiple respects: a 4 quarter effort; more tackling pressure; more leadership; more versatility to run through mids; also a very strong mark.

I would not be against Amartey getting fit in the 2s once enough players return from injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back