Preview Round 15, Swans vs West Coast @ SCG, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its weird . Swans get back three pivotal players.
However.
Lets pontificate about the dropping of Fox.
I was surprised at McDonald's return ahead of schedule, and even more so that he was not given managed minutes in the 2s. Less worried about Mills but he will likely have some rust.

Rushing back two possibly underdone players makes me nervous about injury recurrence.

Beyond towelling up the Carlton chap who has the mobility of an Easter Island statue, Isaac has not had his best year and also has Wayward level yips in kicking for goal.

The forward line

WIth Wicks out, it seems Papley is our only crumber. This is a problem given we will bomb it in as usual. Where is the pressure coming from Inside 50? Surely he will have few, if any CBAs.

For reasons that have always puzzled me, the Head Coach prefers a forward line that often has 3 talls, 2 mediums and 1 small. The variation is running a defensive small. Both our mediums when in form are good marks. None of our talls are great marks in big packs where they compete against each other, 2 or 3 defenders plus Wayward. Oh for a Mickey O or a Gunston as good mediums instead of a third tall.

If Mills is not at full back on Oscar Allen or 100% mids, I wonder if he plays some time forward. He is smart, good with the loose ball, a good mark and a quality kick. The other attribute he'd bring that is absent on the forward line is leadership and organisation. None of the other forwards exhibit leadership or organisation skills. This might help explain why the forward line is a dog's breakfast.

I mean Parker could do this role well but ya know the old seniority system applies and he will stay in the mids.

I can't see Heeney in the Mids and hopefully the reduced training load may have given him the chance to practice set shots. He would have had spare time with broken nose excusing him from marquee photo shoots

I'd play Heeney deep. One out.
(no sub jokes pls).
Amartey in front at HF and McLean just getting around.

Hopefully they can sort out their leading structures and be more random.

I never implied you were .

I'm a bit more pragmatic than embracing a notion of selection integrity. I look at match-ups vs the Opp. and the game style we want to play.

Re Heeney. I have no idea whats going on. Though I think the swans medical staff do.
Fair. Though it's one of the first times (maybe the first) on here someone's said I was being emotional.

Personally I'd drop Francis and play Fox as a KPD if needed. I've not seen anything to suggest that will make us worse, and it would be a better selection based on form/capability. We have the Eagles and then a Cameron-less Cats. If you absolutely need the height after that, see where things are at.

Fox was a bit down last week but he's been averaging over 18 disposals a game and and is able to play on all types in defence. I would've thought he has moved into the zone of being an automatic inclusion when fit.

Perhaps he's a bit sore or needs a break? His preseason was interrupted by injury.

Hickey and the Mids

Hickey will again get done in ruck contests. Hopefully his form returns around the ground. McLean will be his main back up and compete well in ruck contests and around the ground

So who runs through the mids? Parker, Rowbottom, Mills, Warner I guess with bits of Gulden and Sheldrick. The latter will be on reduced minutes because Kilometers run in the seniors are totally different to Kilometers in the twos. Personally 🤣 d up his time as our most natural accumulater and distributor. But I half expect he will play most of his time in a forward pocket.

Last week Parker and Rowy had excellent first halves but faded in the second half. Chad butchered a lot of possessions. Kelly, Yeo and Diver Shuey will lead the Eagles and they will probably shade our mob.

Too depressed to look at a backline featuring Lewis Melican.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox was a bit down last week but he's been averaging over 18 disposals a game and and is able to play on all types in defence. I would've thought he has moved into the zone of being an automatic inclusion when fit.

Perhaps he's a bit sore or needs a break? His preseason was interrupted by injury.
He was playing forward

Hickey and the Mids

Hickey will again get done in ruck contests. Hopefully his form returns around the ground. McLean will be his main back up and compete well in ruck contests and around the ground

So who runs through the mids? Parker, Rowbottom, Mills, Warner I guess with bits of Gulden and Sheldrick. The latter will be on reduced minutes because Kilometers run in the seniors are totally different to Kilometers in the twos. Personally d up his time as our most natural accumulater and distributor. But I half expect he will play most of his time in a forward pocket.

Last week Parker and Rowy had excellent first halves but faded in the second half. Chad butchered a lot of possessions. Kelly, Yeo and Diver Shuey will lead the Eagles and they will probably shade our mob.

Your focus on Melican when he's been pretty decent since coming back is a bit odd. Francis has looked much more out of sorts.

Scoreboard pressure and pressure on oppo forward entries will make our defence look a lot better without them changing much.

Hickey and the Mids

So who runs through the mids? Parker, Rowbottom, Mills, Warner I guess with bits of Gulden and Sheldrick. The latter will be on reduced minutes because Kilometers run in the seniors are totally different to Kilometers in the twos. Personally 🤣 d up his time as our most natural accumulater and distributor. But I half expect he will play most of his time in a forward pocket.

The bolded is baffling.

I agree that on paper West Coast's midfield isn't all that bad, but they're arguably the one group that's less fit than we are. Take our extremely frustrating second half fade-outs, inability to produce repeat efforts, lack of two-way gut-running and then multiply it by five, and you have West Coast.

On top of that we have an experienced ruckman against a guy playing his 40th game.

There is absolutely no excuse for us to not own possession and territory in this game.

Fox is better down back now than Rampe who has slowed down. Does all the Rampe things, but quicker.
I was puzzled on why they gave Rampe two years, when the heir to his spot was so obviously there. I mean Rampe is still very good, but good and quick, is just better than good and slow.

I'd put Fox in our top 5 players the last 12 months.

Agree, time for the eternal question to be answered - is Rampe sharp enough to become a big bodied mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back