Unofficial Preview Collingwood vs Swans Friday March 15th 7:40PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i absolutely agree with you on our list, but see no validity in the comment "prefer him having the sort of game he had the other night"
'Prefer' was the wrong word. I just meant that I feel better coming out of games such as the other night where we've had many contributors rather than ones where we've needed brilliance from our best player to get us over the line. The more games with different matchwinners we have, the better we will be.

FFS Melbourne had the 2nd best defence last season (avg 73 PPG against) with two of the best defenders in May/Lever and we scored 86 points. Then you had Collingwood struggling against the tall Giants attack and you want to change our structure?
Yeah, I wouldn't be changing the 3 tall structure based off that game. I won't be crestfallen if it's Reid in for Amartey though.

Yeah, I wouldn't be changing the 3 tall structure based off that game. I won't be crestfallen if it's Reid in for Amartey though.
If Reid is fit and firing he's gotta play. An average game by Reid matches a good game from Amartey at this stage. It's not much of a risk if not at all. He's the more likely to put in an impactful shift

Would seem unlikely they do much to a winning lineup, outside of miracle recoveries to Adams, Mills, Parker.
Would like Wicks to start though
Yeah. Wicks I'd like to start. But I also think there is room for Reid.
Amartey out.

Yeah. Wicks I'd like to start. But I also think there is room for Reid.
Amartey out.

Reid or Amartey ...feels like a reverse Sophies Choice for me

Maybe Francis can play 😂

Both only average 1 goal per game.

The difference is that Reid averages far more disposals & marks - his work around the ground is superior to Armatey.

Reid > Armatey.

Yeah but Reid is 32 and has not played at this level for 533 days.

I mean Buddy was playing well last time Reid played, lets bring him back

Last time Reid played was the game that shall not be named.

Buddy had a stinker.

Yeah but both had a good year then,

I guess my point is Reid probably needs a month to even see if he still has it.

Yeah but both had a good year then,

I guess my point is Reid probably needs a month to even see if he still has it.
Perhaps.

But I’m starting form a view that Armatey doesn’t have it - and signing him to 2026 might have been a bit of a blunder.

I’d love for him to prove me wrong - but long term contracts for injury prone fringe players ….. not sure it’s ever a good idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps.

But I’m starting form a view that Armatey doesn’t have it - and signing him to 2026 might have been a bit of a blunder.

I’d love for him to prove me wrong - but long term contracts for injury prone fringe players ….. not sure it’s ever a good idea.

Good points,

Will be interesting how it goes and if and when Reid is picked.

Perhaps.

It's only to 2026.

I think the best way to look at contracts is - will this player on our list be relevant to our team for the next (insert number of years they've signed for) seasons?

In Amartey's case, even if he doesn't become the player we hope he becomes, or he's as injury-prone as we fear, he's going to be a factor in our best 22 - either included in it, or decent depth challenging it - for the next three years. So I think the contract was worth it. Played just north of 20 games when he signed, so would be on peanuts.

Perhaps.

He's a tall forward. So even if he fails to perform there will be a team desprrate enough to give us something for him.

I think it's a measured risk.

It's only to 2026.

I think the best way to look at contracts is - will this player on our list be relevant to our team for the next (insert number of years they've signed for) seasons?

In Amartey's case, even if he doesn't become the player we hope he becomes, or he's as injury-prone as we fear, he's going to be a factor in our best 22 - either included in it, or decent depth challenging it - for the next three years. So I think the contract was worth it. Played just north of 20 games when he signed, so would be on peanuts.
I’d counter by saying he’s now in his 7th year on the list - and has played 29 games.

That doesn’t really support the theory that he’s a factor in our best XXII all that often (either through form or injury).

And yes, he’s likely not on big $, but for every player retained, another must lose their spot on the list.

By 2026, he’ll have been on the list nearly 10 years - so I do hope the stats do boost appreciably, or else he’s going to be remembered as a list clogger who occasionally teased so much more.

But since this is a preview thread - if Joel retains his spot, I sincerely hope he kicks 6 and makes me look like a complete goose.

I’d counter by saying he’s now in his 7th year on the list - and has played 29 games.

And yes, he’s likely not on big $, but for every player retained, another must lose their spot on the list.
This is a very important point, not just about Joel, but in general. Also, keeping players means someone isn't traded in or drafted. I guess that's the core of list management. In Joel's case we have all hoped that his ceiling matches those flashes of brilliance and that his fitness will improve. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

I still reckon that Collingwood are too reliant on Pendlebury and Sidebottom. When they don't play well, they seem off their normal game. Need to put time into those 2 veterans and it'll go a long way to win. Imo its crazy that its 2024 and they are still their backbone.

Another one is Schultz who had a shocker yesterday and usually tore us a new one when he was at Freo. I reckon it'll be Rampe or Roberts on Schultz so could be a concern there.

All Collingwood games are fast games. I think we need extra runners over talls, but can also see the upside of using height advantage if Amartey or McLean clunks them.

Tom Mitchell was playing the defensive mid role at centre bounce so it'll probably be Heeney vs Mitchell. Heeney wins easy.

Need to take opportunities like the Giants. They got a fair few marks directly in front of goal. We probably get them too, just don't miss.

This is a very important point, not just about Joel, but in general. Also, keeping players means someone isn't traded in or drafted. I guess that's the core of list management. In Joel's case we have all hoped that his ceiling matches those flashes of brilliance and that his fitness will improve. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

I think Amartey will be given every chance. I'm almost open to him just playing the first half and then subbed off as a strategy.

We went looking the country for high end forwards, held off signing Amartey and McLean imo but still didn't get very far. It's simply what's best available to us and you need to try to have tall forwards that make a difference.

Collingwood's midfield looked a mess against the Giants. I'm keen to see our young mids go up against theirs. Collingwood generally don't pay enormous attention to opposition guns, so it could be an opportunity for Gulden to really launch into his season. #FreeRowbottom to hopefully continue for another week. Warner to hopefully pick up where he left off in the last quarter.

But I'm most curious to see how Grundy & Heeney go, and not just because they were our two best against Melbourne.

Heeney's got to back his performance from the other night up. Historically he's gone very well in the first game of the season, polling an average of 3.4 POTY votes in round 1 matches and receiving votes every year between 2018 and 2022. He'll likely poll again from his performance on Thursday night. So he's had this knack of getting our hopes up that he's going to have a super season and then not quite getting there.

And I'm looking forward to watching how Grundy goes at the MCG. Have heard a lot of commentators talk about how he'll thrive on the SCG because of it's smaller size (take a shot!), but I reckon he'll like the space to work with at the G. He looked like he really wanted to run and take the game on and was pretty dangerous on the spread from the contest against Melbourne.

Collingwood's midfield looked a mess against the Giants. I'm keen to see our young mids go up against theirs. Collingwood generally don't pay enormous attention to opposition guns, so it could be an opportunity for Gulden to really launch into his season. #FreeRowbottom to hopefully continue for another week. Warner to hopefully pick up where he left off in the last quarter.

But I'm most curious to see how Grundy & Heeney go, and not just because they were our two best against Melbourne.

Heeney's got to back his performance from the other night up. Historically he's gone very well in the first game of the season, polling an average of 3.4 POTY votes in round 1 matches and receiving votes every year between 2018 and 2022. He'll likely poll again from his performance on Thursday night. So he's had this knack of getting our hopes up that he's going to have a super season and then not quite getting there.

And I'm looking forward to watching how Grundy goes at the MCG. Have heard a lot of commentators talk about how he'll thrive on the SCG because of it's smaller size (take a shot!), but I reckon he'll like the space to work with at the G. He looked like he really wanted to run and take the game on and was pretty dangerous on the spread from the contest against Melbourne.
Neither of the Pies rucks can keep up with Grundy but I'm not sure if they need to. They gave Briggs a pretty hard workout (hitouts 49-23) so I imagine they'll try to do the same with Grundy. That said the Giants still drew clearances 39-40. A different challenge to Gawn.

Can't see us dropping Amartey for a small like wicks and reverting to 2 talls. It was a tough night for the talls on Thursday given the conditions. Also considering the pies back 6 struggled in the air to the taller GWS forward line I think Amartey stays in unless he gets dropped for someone like Reid.

Feels like Wicks should make way for someone given his performance, but I quite liked him as the sub. He was able to come in and inject his pressure and win the footy in the forward half. Could be an effective tactical sub we use again. Fox probably stays in to do a job on a player like Quaynor, can't let the pies intercept cause that's where they're dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back