Preview Lions vs Swans @GABBA Friday 16th June 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people think the Lions aren't going to implode come finals time (just like Port)?
The Lions might implode but Port won't this year. Butters and Rozee are amazing. Not only that, they play a style that while attacking is very strong defensively. Thry fold back and cover if thry lose the ball and then shut the attacking team down.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You watch, now Buddy is out Wil will play better. He will be able to get some ball kicked his, way.

He better do something because he’s using up all the tickets he has for the past performances

We've had three talls every week bar one since round 1, 2021.

The one week that we didn't was last week and we went scoreless in the first term and kicked a score of 66 in a diabolical forward half display.

It's not the talls that are the problem. It's everything at ground level. Between Heeney, Papley, Hayward, Clarke and Wicks, I don't think there's a worse group of forward half ground level players at ball handling in the competition. And I realise I'm talking about two elite players there, but form is form. They slip over, they fumble ground balls, they double-grab crumbs, they miss targets, they make stupid decisions, and Heeney aside, they offer little to no physicality.

The half forward line has killed us all year. Everything is breaking down in that part of the ground.
I agree. That and defensive mid work which is really bad because our mids just keep running out of gas.

I heard it was the defence's fault, because they're the ones around when the opposition score.
No. The defence has been on a hiding to nothing because the ball has been coming in so often and so easily past centre. That is because the mids and forwards are not working hard enough. Then Horse floods everyone back and nobody can exit defence and in this situation there is only one outcome, goals to the opposition

No. The defence has been on a hiding to nothing because the ball has been coming in so often and so easily past centre. That is because the mids and forwards are not working hard enough. Then Horse floods everyone back and nobody can exit defence and in this situation there is only one outcome, goals to the opposition

It was sarcasm

The Lions might implode but Port won't this year. Butters and Rozee are amazing. Not only that, they play a style that while attacking is very strong defensively. Thry fold back and cover if thry lose the ball and then shut the attacking team down.

Sounds like what people have said in recent dominant years from Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good chance for McLean tomorrow I reckon. Not that he's necessarily at risk, particularly given how he's been going and injuries to other talls, but I reckon he's really thrived on the greater responsibility lately. That responsibility will only increase tomorrow as in game 42 he will run out as our most experienced key forward.

It annoys me that Horse hates Stephens so much. I know he hasn't set the world on fire, but I didn't think he was terrible in the games he played this year. He appears to be getting forced out of the club, which we'll almost certainly regret when he becomes a gun for Adelaide in a couple of years.

At the very least, he should have been a sub last week instead of the clunky, underdone Amartey, who was predictably awful and entirely ineffective when he came on.
I have no idea of Longmire and Stephens' personal relationship but IMO the triad of McInerney, Gulden and Campbell has looked more dangerous than with Stephens there. Not so much that Stephens is a spud - he isn't - but the others seem to have better connection 360’.
I have no doubt that if one of those three was injured Stephens would be in like a flash.
If he goes elsewhere in search of more game time and/or more money - so be it.

So with this lineup, do we suspect Lloyd will start on a wing again? Doesn’t seem to be any room for him in the back six with a rotation of Rampe, Florent, Francis, Melican, Cunningham, Fox and Blakey
Very possible. We might move straight to having a "spare ie 7th" in defence with one rotating off the bench. Lloyd, Cunningham or Blakey can all play up the ground if needs be.

Beatson made the same comments about McLean i.e. they both needed to improve (in Nov last year).

"We've got Logan (McDonald) and that's about it, unless Joel (Amartey) and Hayden (McLean) can continue to progress."

He then went on to talk about Amartey's injuries, but made absolutely no comment on his training or preparation standards (as some think he did).

"Joel Amartey has been a bit of a frustrating one over the last couple of years because he's just had these little niggles, had a restricted pre-season last year because of OP (osteitis pubis), still think he's got a lot of promise, but he's got to start performing."
Thanks for providing the whole quote. I always thought it was odd for a list manager to be publicly criticising the application of a player on the list. Now it is clear that he wasn’t really.

I have liked Campbell on the wing recently.

But Campbell playing forward could offer something different in the forward line as a creative player (rather than selecting another marking target or pressure forward).
His best junior footy seems to have been played between wing and HFF - HHF in my lingo. Can deliver to the lead or kick the goal. No idea his pressure though.

Any Brisbane/GABBA locals on here? Flying up for the game, wondering where to go after for the cricket? Of halfway through the first is we are getting whacked!
If you're staying near the gabba, the pineapple hotel would be my pick, otherwise if you're north of the river hit up the jubilee in the valley

Hope so

On the outer though currently.

Maybe he told the club he wants out
Sadly, I think this might be the case. The handling of him this year seemed strange, so I figured there were either off-field issues, or he's headed elsewhere at the end of the year. Either way. Doesn't look like a situation where the club is trying to keep the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back