Preview Swans v Blues Friday Night Lights 26th May 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know Gould has only had 3 games but I think we've seen enough to know he won't make it. Has skill but is far too slow and lumbering for a modern defender.
Sadly I agree. But I still think he's better than both Francis and Melican. These two not only get killed on the lead but also have terrible disposal. If the Blues can beat us at the contest and clean up their F50 delivery, Curnow, McKay and TdK will slaughter us.

I'm not expecting much out of Melican because typically he's very ordinary when returning from an injury layoff. If he can find some touch and avoid a complete slaughter at the hands of Curnow or McKay, it'll be a good night for him. He'll get better each week afterwards.

I'm not expecting much out of Melican because typically he's very ordinary when returning from an injury layoff. If he can find some touch and avoid a complete slaughter at the hands of Curnow or McKay, it'll be a good night for him. He'll get better each week afterwards.

What a game to come into after 2 years.

Hiding to nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with the changes, although very concerned with Stephens.

Melican to take McKay and wicks to add some much needed mongrel and desperation to the F50.

Will be vital for the battle of the wills, skills can return after the bye…. Hopefully!!

Just compete hard v McKay, don’t let him have an easy night. Go full tilt carter!!

And always give the easy option to our good distributors when he has the ball, don’t try anything fancy and he will be fine.

IMO with Gould it's an attitude thing as much as it is an ability thing that's contributed to his career with us going nowhere.

he is much heavier this year … looks like a wce player… maybe he should go there and share KFC buckets with NicNat

Wish Melican all the best but I have zero expectations he is capable of a useful game.

Great to see Wicks back. He has looked in good nick in his two Ressies runs.

I really don’t understand what has happened with Stephens.

The game is looking a nightmare. Expect our mids to get pantsed as usual In the clearances.

Hope Melican comes out and plays a blinder..
Pretty tough coming up against McKay and Curnow though first game for a few years.

With Stephens, is there just too much over lap with Gulden and Campbell? Of the Short left foot outside types, G and C are far ahead.

Good to see Melican back in, hopefully he can be good in the air which he usually is when he's on song.

I know there has been much talk about our midfielders being too defensive this season.
I'd suggest we actually have the opposite problem at centre bounces in that they are not defensive enough .

Far too often the opposition has been able to waltz out the front of the centre square.

3 examples from last week.
First two featuring Papley.
Sets up in the sweeper position, but I think much more likely there as an attacking threat (gets the ball, breakaways on the outside), rather in the traditional defensive sweeper role.
Two centre bounces, Palpey holds back, concentrating on/watching the ball that is in dispute, correctly doesn't enter the contest, but on two occasions the ball comes out NM's attacking side to players standing at the 45 to Papley. They take the ball, on one occasion run to Papley's right, on the other to his left, totally unhindered by Tom and naturally on both occasions they deliver the ball into the NM 50. Total focus from Tom on the ball and an absolute lack of awareness as to where the opposition players were.

Third occasion relates to Rowbottom. 2nd half he was mainly assigned to Simpkin at CBs.
Ball up, ball in dispute. Rowbottom enters the contest, Simpkin stands outside. Ball comes out to Simpkin alone on NM's attacking side, runs, delivers inside 50.
Again total lack of situational awareness.

The dynamic/mindset is too often wrong at CBs.
They must be aware of what the opposition is doing, there should be coverage on the defensive side.
Admittedly we are winning more centre clearances this year compared to last.
Curently 5th best in the league (averaging 12.7 per game).
Last year we were 15th (averaging 11.5 per game).

However the killer is that when we do lose them this season far too often we allow the opposition out the front of the square, which is the best source for them to score, given the space allowed to the player to hit up targets and our depleted backline.

I'd much prefer us to have a defensive sweeper to block off the easy exit.
We may lose more centre bounces but provided we can put more pressure on the ball carrier and either stop them or make them deliver under pressure IMO we will be better off.

TL;dr We actually to be more defensive at centre bounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back