Preview Swans v Blues Friday Night Lights 26th May 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see slick wicks back & one of my favs, Melican the Pelican! Spread those long arms to get a few marks & spoils. Carn lads.

2 Rucks...Ruck Jesus & his disciple...Hallelujah

GIF by Giphy QA

Happy to see Wicks back. I was off him earlier than most late 2021 / early 2022, but purely form related. We know what he can do. If he stays disciplined and gets back to 1st half of 2021 form, that's a massive boost for us. Clarke must have a very specific job this week. Tough ask, but if Melican can go back to his form of years ago, that'd be nice.

Stephens saved a goal in the 3rd term, but looked bereft of confidence with some poor kicking. I'd go Gus or Warner as sub, probably Warner tbh, give Gus and Dyl a decent amount of reserves time (most important for Stephens to build confidence). Likely that Gould would be held over in case of a late out as well. Maybe even one of Gus/Dyl to play only a half.

With McAndrew and Hickey in, this is the game where McLean needs to monster some defenders out of the goalsquare, he has no other job. Buddy needs to keep his opponent out of there and hopefully kick a couple from around the 40-50. The rucks just need to compete, McAndrew can tackle, Hickey can be an outlet option.

We can do this. I'll be trying to listen/watch while on buses/at stations between Slovakia and Slovenia, reckon a win might just start something. Go into the bye 5-6, get a couple back, see what happens.

Last edited:
We can do this. I'll be trying to listen/watch while on buses/at stations between Slovakia and Slovenia, reckon a win might just start something. Go into the bye 5-6, get a couple back, see what happens.

If you are coming down on the FlixBus, they all have constant WiFi and USB charging stations. I have watched a few Swans games on similar trips over the years.

Needless to say you won't be the only person watching the Swannies in Slovenia tomorrow. I'll be locking myself in my office at work and cheering / crying at the game. Safe trip and enjoy Slovenia.

Hope Melican comes out and plays a blinder..
Pretty tough coming up against McKay and Curnow though first game for a few years.

With Stephens, is there just too much over lap with Gulden and Campbell? Of the Short left foot outside types, G and C are far ahead.
Melican will embrace the challenge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to Melican for getting back. Missed all of ‘22 through injury / form / all the form of those ahead of him. However, he’s made it back. Hopefully he positions himself somewhere near his opponent tomorrow night and has a good game.

Wicks last played in round 23 last year and hasn’t been seen since. Hopefully he brings his ‘21 form and provides some much needed forward 50 pressure.

Not sure what Stephens position is, so dropping him makes sense. Gould probably isn’t quick enough at AFL level better suited to the SANFL.

Hickey for Ladhams was expected.

Like the wicks call

We need pressure
Yep - have grown to live with the free kicks and 50’s he gives away with his pressure and niggle if only if only he could play a bit smarter instead of bull at a gate - let’s hope so

If you are coming down on the FlixBus, they all have constant WiFi and USB charging stations. I have watched a few Swans games on similar trips over the years.

Needless to say you won't be the only person watching the Swannies in Slovenia tomorrow. I'll be locking myself in my office at work and cheering / crying at the game. Safe trip and enjoy Slovenia.

Yeah I am. Wasn't sure how good the wifi would be, but that gives me hope to watch it. Looking forward to it, though I'm hoping the fact my (6 week) trip is almost drawing to an end coincides with a form reversal for us. I saw the Tigers win live, then flew out the following week to listen in to the Cats debacle over the Pacific, and things did not get much better.

I'm hoping we can beat the Blues, curtains for their season.
The number one contested team in the comp - and we'd be near dead last?
And without half our defense, and two KPFs and first choice ruck.
We are going to be absolutely pantsed.

I still think there's structural issues that are making it challenging for Stephens.

Spends a decent portion of the game in acres of space, but we rarely use him.

I don't think it's coincidental that both Stephens and McInerney have had serious form issues while playing on a wing this year. Campbell has been good, but also looks better in the backline than on the wing.

When you have such a strong corridor mentality, but you're also telling your wings to maintain their width, it's inevitably going to make it tough for them to be involved.

The change in mindset and want to be more aggressive and go the corridor was arguably the single most important factor in our rise in 2021, but I sense the balance might be off a bit at the moment. Doesn't help that we keep butchering the football and turning it over in dangerous positions.

Feels like Stephens is always the fall guy for the tight losses tbh, wouldn't blame him if he wants out. Playing the club favourites again...

Playing deckchairs on the titanic once again
He was ordinary last week, but I feel they should have backed him in given the stage he is at, and confidence wise.
Started the season looking really good. Maybe a game or two getting a lot of it in the twos will be good for him.

Most worrying about Stephens is that this year has come on the back of a promising end to last season and by all reports a great pre-season. Someone like Gulden or Warner has a down season, you say OK, possibly struggling with expectations, new role, more pressure, ups and downs, got ahead of themselves, etc.

But Stephens isn't there yet and should really be having break-out performances now, or elevating himself. That he's not makes you wonder what it will take for him to be the player we want him to be.
A new midfield coach?

Re Dylan and Gould.

There is no doubt that Covid has impacted their development and integration into the swans.

It may just take longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back