Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney v Carlton
SCG
Friday night
Weather: Fresh

This will be the 233rd clash between these two teams. An opponent the Swans have faced the most since 1897.

Our fist clash ended in a Swans win in round 2 1897 (that included 2 scoreless quarters), some thing’s never change.

Moving through the history books we haven’t beaten the Blues at the MCG since 1909. Fortunately we are at the SCG where we hold an 18-10 record.

Our biggest comeback win after a half time deficit (we trailed by 45 points) was against Carlton back in 1990.

Our biggest upset win was round 8 1995 when we belted the Blues by 72 points. They would go on to win the premiership.

Moving into the 21st century and the Blues have stocked up their kitchen utensils.

Now to the present.

Blues

Forwards are led by two Coleman medalists. Curnow kicked 9 against an undersized Eagles line up, while Harry McKay looks better in Norths defence than as a Carlton forward.

Midfield is led by the very tall Patrick Cripps (Brownlow to boot), Sam Walsh, and a stack of players traded in.

Backs is probably their weakness, with some decent players but no stars. Adam Saad gives them run and dash but if you tag him they don’t have a lot else. Zak Williams ACL has hurt them this year.

Swans

You can see the correlation of our ever increasing injury list with our descent of the AFL ladder.

Forwards, Papley is leading the goal kicking charge but other than the Richmond game he’s been fairly quiet. McDonald is second but out for months. Hayward is third and could be leading the goal kicking if he could convert his a set shot. Heeney and Franklin wrap up the top 5 and they have been missing in action this year.

Midfield has been spared injuries other than our key rucks take turns in missing games. Gulden has had a good month and Parker never stops trying. Warner and Rowbottom not that influential this year.

Defence is missing too many to count.

Form guide.

Thanks to North tanking and failing to add up we pinched an unlikely win. This counters losses to Port and the Giants where we blew decent leads in the last.

The North game sums up our season. We kicked 2.5 before North registered a score. Last year that would have been 5.2. We don’t make the most of our opportunities.

Expectations on the Blues are high this year. After being in the top 8 until the last minute of the home and away season last year. They have beaten teams you would expect them to but looked flat against the Lions and Bulldogs. As o write this they look off the pace against the Pies.

Both teams have played Collingwood recently. The Swans led at halftime on the back of fast ball movement. It couldn’t be sustained and were overrun. Carlton get enough off the ball that they should be more than competitive. However, they are slow at moving the ball.

Changes
Outs : Ladhams ankle didn’t look crash hot. Sheldrick as the sub.

Ins: Hickey / T McCartin if either are fit.
Not a lot of options in the reserves.

Prediction

There will be a game where it all clicks together as the Swans play with the fluidity that helped them make last years final. This may be the week.

Swans by 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curnow will flog us I think , umps love him plus he is just a gun.

If they smash in middle like most weeks I can’t see how we keep the 2 big guys down.

I bet they bring in tdk to try and stretch us even more.

I think it will be a good contest though , blues are not much this season so a chance is there.

Forget about everything else we must must be competitive in the middle to have a chance cannot stress that enough.

You cannot expect our (defence?) to contain 2 A quality forwards with a lot of entries or they will both have a ton of scoring shots and frees.

I think we will be short 4-5 goals

Carlton have been difficult for us even at our best.

Just hope its competitive but the last quarter midfield performance yesterday scares me lol.

The other 3 were crap too lets be honest

glad we won, but we were shocking.

Parker willed us home and main support was the old age guy people want pensioned off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just 3 goal scorers for the Blues today. Convinced Cripps and George are playing injured. George does not want to kick the footy ATM. Surely Voss drops JSOS for TDK.

Obviously we need to replace Ladhams. I'd rather RJ have a game in the 2s. I suspect TMac will not be back until post bye.

No idea who we bring in I guess plenty will want Melican. I don't but I'm not on MC so my thoughts are immaterial.

You forgot to add Darcy Moore to their forward line. They were targetting him up forward all day today.

We need to win at the contest and stoppages to have any chance. There is no way our defence can cope with repeat entries, even if we get Tmc back. Our current on ball setup and mix don't seem to be getting the job done so a change is definitely needed. It's time for Heeney to earn his keep and spend more time on ball, playing the role of a big bodied, inside bull. Like JDG or Stringer.

Defensively, we need to free Blakey from KP duties. Curnow or McKay will pound him which is pointless given his importance to our rebound. Francis and Gould aren't going great but havent been helped by their mates in front of them. Both look slow defending the lead in particular. However, Francis is an absolute butcher with the ball. I can see why he has never settled at AFL level. Gould is much cleaner. Plus he has a bit of agro in him whereas Francis just looks a bit tepid.

Outs: Ladhams Francis
Ins: Sheldrick Melican (his disposal is marginally better than Francis)
Sub: Wicks

We'll pinch this

Both teams out of form but Carlton show even less will to win

Voss has them playing an even worse brand of footy thats sucked the life out of all of em

A win is the emergency CPR we needed to breathe life back into the boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back