Game Day 2023 Round 16 Swans v Cats Friday 30 June @ 7:50 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, it's over. This was crucial. We had to stand up and put everyone on notice but fell short yet again. This is the game I officially lose faith.
The teams above us are going to lose more than us if we play like this. Dons, Saints, Crows, Gold Coast.
We need 6 more wins out or 8 to sneak in now.

ignore shots at goal for a moment, that's the toughest and arguably best we've looked all season ... it's not over yet

I agree 100%

Now we did have odd fumbles or botches in play in the second half compared to the first, but we looked like Sydney

thats the frustrating part, its great we look back dare I say, but we also then wasted.

If we scraped a draw playing how he we had been at times this year you almost pop the bubbly

Heeney can calmly slot it in from the same kind of set shot against the worst team I have ever seen with no pressure but yet absolutely shank it when the game is there to be won, 90% of the game is once again played above the shoulders.

Imagine seeing your leader just being able to just slot it straight through the middle... sets the tone.

I mean in fairness(?) to Heeney, he was also pretty s**t in front of goal last week. 5.4 with some really basic misses. It just doesn't stand out because we put 200 on the board.

If you want it bashed forward with a game on the line its guys like gulden, blakey, sheldrick, even lloyd, jmac who generate the opportunity
rowbottom in and under
Thing was mate the break they got on us with about 8 minutes to go bashing or bombing wasn’t the answer. Forwards didn’t look like marking it.

I can't bring myself to blame Fox for that. He's not a forward. Like yes, he should have kicked that, no question, but so many other players should have taken marks or converted set shots and they didn't. And Fox was otherwise pretty decent. But should absolutely be back in defence.
Would I be out of line in suggesting he takes Rampe's spot? I thought he was pretty bad tonight, especially his kicking and some dubious options.

Thing was mate the break they got on us with about 8 minutes to go bashing or bombing wasn’t the answer. Forwards didn’t look like marking it.

Absolutely

we waited until the last 3 minutes to finally get some system going again

I mean in fairness(?) to Heeney, he was also pretty s**t in front of goal last week. 5.4 with some really basic misses. It just doesn't stand out because we put 200 on the board.
Could have had 15 from 2 games from the looks of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s impossible to develop and maintain any scoreboard pressure with this team.

heeney Hayward papley are just terrible set shots. Just terrible. Amartey is basically can’t be relied on to mark or kick. McLean can’t get it.
Parker cant kick for s**t thats the problem

he hacks to the other teams advantage picks up 25 touches and people will chuck him a vote

Last 5 minutes , ill watch a replay but seems to me it was gulden and blakey, even sheldrick driving it forward, not Parker

I agree 100%

Now we did have odd fumbles or botches in play in the second half compared to the first, but we looked like Sydney

thats the frustrating part, its great we look back dare I say, but we also then wasted.

If we scraped a draw playing how he we had been at times this year you almost pop the bubbly

after coming to terms with that sh1tty flat feeling, i realise that's as good as we've been for quite a while ... no doubt we were the more likely side, the salary cats were gifted enough to keep them close, let alone get the draw ...
what we do from here is yet to be seen, but after last week and tonight, we're at least looking again like a side that could play finals

Last edited:
I really don't understand what the fuss is, our season was over after the loss to the giants imo.
Yeah it was frustrating, but really good signs against a team that beat us by 90 odd last time
The door was still ajar. Win this, go on a bit of a run and we sneak in despite everything. Hard to see after this though. It's just painful because we had it and let it slip through our fingers.

I'm really bummed about not beating the cats. As the commentators noted, this game should've been on ice at half time.

But I guess on the positives, we had the moral victory against a good side, aided as usual by some shockingly one eyed umpires.

After an amazing first half, Logan was quieter but he has shown enough for me to say we need to lock him up beyond 2024. With regards to the rest of the team, it was pleasing to see Sheldrick, Campbell and Jmac step up tonight. Errol was in everything. Amartey and McLean chipped in with some useful acts. Melican and Francis steady down back. Blakey plays with such disregard for his safety - love his attack but I do worry for his safety....

All up, a really promising performance, more so with a view to 2024 and beyond. Just wish we could kick for goal.
I found myself nodding along - until the “Armatey and McLean chipped in with some useful acts” part.

Personally, I thought they were both poor.

My view:

Our mids dominated the bulk of the game.
Our forward line failed to take advantage.

I think someone should ask Longmire

1. Why are Hayward, Heeney and Papley all so out of form compared to their 2022 season?

2. Why didn't we use the sub in the final quarter?

the answer to the sub was that we were already kicking the ball so badly we didn’t need Clark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back