Preview Swans v Blues Friday Night Lights 26th May 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO with Gould it's an attitude thing as much as it is an ability thing that's contributed to his career with us going nowhere.
I don't think there's much changing his body shape - he's done well to get it as it is IMO, and he can't grow his arms 4 inches longer either. That's why he was drafted where he was, and not earlier despite being an U18 beast. Didn't we pick him a bit ahead of where most had him?
Would probably have made a good forward for the Wallabies if he'd lived in the Northern States.

I feel for Gould and Stephens. I'm sure they're getting clear instruction and coaching.

It's simply where they're at. If they're committed to staying and meet the standards they'll get chances and contracts.

Don't think either's getting poached so hopefully they dig in and become soldiers

Simply put, Stephens needs to use his weapons and take the game on, command the footy; Gould needs to read the play faster

Get to work boys

I know there has been much talk about our midfielders being too defensive this season.
I'd suggest we actually have the opposite problem at centre bounces in that they are not defensive enough .

Far too often the opposition has been able to waltz out the front of the centre square.

3 examples from last week.
First two featuring Papley.
Sets up in the sweeper position, but I think much more likely there as an attacking threat (gets the ball, breakaways on the outside), rather in the traditional defensive sweeper role.
Two centre bounces, Palpey holds back, concentrating on/watching the ball that is in dispute, correctly doesn't enter the contest, but on two occasions the ball comes out NM's attacking side to players standing at the 45 to Papley. They take the ball, on one occasion run to Papley's right, on the other to his left, totally unhindered by Tom and naturally on both occasions they deliver the ball into the NM 50. Total focus from Tom on the ball and an absolute lack of awareness as to where the opposition players were.

Third occasion relates to Rowbottom. 2nd half he was mainly assigned to Simpkin at CBs.
Ball up, ball in dispute. Rowbottom enters the contest, Simpkin stands outside. Ball comes out to Simpkin alone on NM's attacking side, runs, delivers inside 50.
Again total lack of situational awareness.

The dynamic/mindset is too often wrong at CBs.
They must be aware of what the opposition is doing, there should be coverage on the defensive side.
Admittedly we are winning more centre clearances this year compared to last.
Curently 5th best in the league (averaging 12.7 per game).
Last year we were 15th (averaging 11.5 per game).

However the killer is that when we do lose them this season far too often we allow the opposition out the front of the square, which is the best source for them to score, given the space allowed to the player to hit up targets and our depleted backline.

I'd much prefer us to have a defensive sweeper to block off the easy exit.
We may lose more centre bounces but provided we can put more pressure on the ball carrier and either stop them or make them deliver under pressure IMO we will be better off.

TL;dr We actually to be more defensive at centre bounces.
We must be fif best at centre clearances cause we give away so many goals there are more CBs than others get.

I feel for Gould and Stephens. I'm sure they're getting clear instruction and coaching.

It's simply where they're at. If they're committed to staying and meet the standards they'll get chances and contracts.

Don't think either's getting poached so hopefully they dig in and become soldiers

Simply put, Stephens needs to use his weapons and take the game on, command the footy; Gould needs to read the play faster

Get to work boys
But but...

Crows will pinch them and they'll both be AA within a year

I still think there's structural issues that are making it challenging for Stephens.

Spends a decent portion of the game in acres of space, but we rarely use him.

I don't think it's coincidental that both Stephens and McInerney have had serious form issues while playing on a wing this year. Campbell has been good, but also looks better in the backline than on the wing.

When you have such a strong corridor mentality, but you're also telling your wings to maintain their width, it's inevitably going to make it tough for them to be involved.

The change in mindset and want to be more aggressive and go the corridor was arguably the single most important factor in our rise in 2021, but I sense the balance might be off a bit at the moment. Doesn't help that we keep butchering the football and turning it over in dangerous positions.
I think also Stephens is not an athletic specimen that is going to relish a one-on-one challenge isolated on the wing like a Dawson. He's more the type to pop up in pockets of space and chip it around. So I think for all his run, wing might not even be his spot unless he is burning off a bigger opponent. And yeah, Gulden and Campbell kind of have that role now...

Stephens needs to take what he wants not be a bystander. Wonder what training's like. He needs to make Gulden's life hell and make it his mission to out work him and match him in play making.

Tricky because the blokes fighting for those spots act more confident

Good selections IMO. We are undersized in defence with McKay and one of their rucks likely to be resting forward. But not much we can with what's available but we can use this to our advantage (providing they don't mark everything: ) if Blakey and Florent provide some good rebound, I'm not sure Carlton has the speed to deal with it. Reckon we've really missed Wicks defensive pressure and intensity, even when he isnt tackling he is at least placing enough pressure on the kicker to impact their disposal.

If you are coming down on the FlixBus, they all have constant WiFi and USB charging stations. I have watched a few Swans games on similar trips over the years.

Needless to say you won't be the only person watching the Swannies in Slovenia tomorrow. I'll be locking myself in my office at work and cheering / crying at the game. Safe trip and enjoy Slovenia.

Love Slovenia. I caught up with Swans’ results in Tito’s former summer residence on Lake Bled. Enjoy!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back