Preview 2024 Round 01 Thursday March 7 v Melbourne 7:20 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say, not on this post, but this years posts from you have been of a quality much better than previous years.
I am impressed. Lots more words. Less aggravation. Stay on topic. Adding the humour.

keep it up young fella.
Always had quality , but hard to find at times with my not coping . Thank you , would love to use capItAls

Wouldn't be a swans bf board without a melt.
Few gruyere on sourdough here.

Gus . His time will come.
I guess he was up against JJ for a spot. Considering Roberts seems to be prioritised for a roll down back.

A couple of things that strike me about our R1 team:
1) The selection of Melican makes me wonder if Rampe will finish his career as a medium, general type defender.
2) Sheldrick must be a fair way back in the pecking order at the moment given we have 3 inside mids out yet he still doesn't get a start. Having said that, if we get smacked at the contest, he would have to be a strong chance for R2.

??? He's played 4 full games in his career ???

I also don't agree at all that the game has moved past vanilla players. Vanilla is good. It means reliable, it means doing the basics. I would argue it's something we need more of in our team. Have said this many times before but we spend so much time hyping up flashy moments and players but the times when those flashy, perfect moments of really attractive footy happen account for about 1% of a footy game. The other 99% is the meat of the game and what a win is built on.
I don't disagree that you can't have a vanilla player, as long as they're an exceptional vanilla player like the great Craig Bird. Also don't disagree that he hasn't had many opportunities just haven't seen anything in his opportunities, including the very recent praccys, that warrant him being up the pecking order just yet.

Tbh I think the current game is built around moments of brilliance. High impact efficiency with only a few touches by xfactor players is all it takes to get you over the line these days. We've actually been on the receiving end of that much of the time in the recent decade. Our players always front up, hard at the contest and never give up - yet somehow it ends up feeling like a hard slog even when we win games and we all sit here trying to decipher why we struggle to dominate. In our grand final year we actually had a heap of individual brilliance that broke teams. It's why Collingwood is where they are now with a whole squad of players that are exceptional at something, it's also why Carlton got to a prelim despite never looking convincing. The games changed. The fast pace has made good vanilla players less important. At the very least for those playing on a random half back flank. imagine Roberts getting flanked 60m out by mcreery and the daicoses in full flight..

Last edited:
Are there other members only able to see last year’s tickets in the swans app and nothing for tomorrow’s game?
I’ve just posted an answer to a similar question in another thread.

Try logging out and logging back in. That worked for me.

Who do you guys think will be sub out of Roberts or Cuningham? Or could you pull something left field and put Lloyd, Cuningham or Roberts wing and have Fox as sub?

Who do you guys think will be sub out of Roberts or Cuningham? Or could you pull something left field and put Lloyd, Cuningham or Roberts wing and have Fox as sub?
Horse doesn't know how to use a sub, so chances are it'll be the one who is the slowest and less of a chance to make an impact with fresh legs.

Wouldn't be a swans bf board without a melt.
Few gruyere on sourdough here.

Gus . His time will come.
I guess he was up against JJ for a spot. Considering Roberts seems to be prioritised for a roll down back.
His time will come - but where?

We’re starting to develop a track record of randomly omitting young players who aren’t on Horse’s favourites list, watching them lose confidence & then off to another side they go.

Gus did absolutely nothing wrong pre-injury, so unless he’s not yet fully match fit, it’s baffling (at least to me it is).

And whilst I’m having a melt - not particularly impressed with the Armatey selection either. The ball is going to rebound out of our forward 50 with ease.

Of course, if we win, all is forgiven and I’ll get back in my box.

Dammit. I tried so hard. Apologies for the melt!

Last edited:
I'm surprised the main board has voted us to win. Seems they're more confident than our own supporters.

Fritsch always tears us apart. I bloody hope Longmire accounts for this.

I don't disagree that you can't have a vanilla player, as long as they're an exceptional vanilla player like the great Craig Bird. Also don't disagree that he hasn't had many opportunities just haven't seen anything in his opportunities, including the very recent praccys, that warrant him being up the pecking order just yet.

Tbh I think the current game is built around moments of brilliance. High impact efficiency with only a few touches by xfactor players is all it takes to get you over the line these days. We've actually been on the receiving end of that much of the time in the recent decade. Our players always front up, hard at the contest and never give up - yet somehow it ends up feeling like a hard slog even when we win games and we all sit here trying to decipher why we struggle to dominate. In our grand final year we actually had a heap of individual brilliance that broke teams. It's why Collingwood is where they are now with a whole squad of players that are exceptional at something, it's also why Carlton got to a prelim despite never looking convincing. The games changed. The fast pace has made good vanilla players less important. At the very least for those playing on a random half back flank. imagine Roberts getting flanked 60m out by mcreery and the daicoses in full flight..
Not sure what Swans team you've been watching if you think our issue hasn't been fronting up and being hard at the contest. Pretty much the only thing that's held us back in this current era has been we're style over substance.

Horse doesn't know how to use a sub, so chances are it'll be the one who is the slowest and less of a chance to make an impact with fresh legs.

Yep. I remember the first sub we ever had. Longmire took the bold choice to choose Mark Seaby, a move that no other coach has made since as no one was dumb enough to pick a ruckman as a sub.

We’re starting to develop a track record of randomly omitting young players who aren’t on Horse’s favourites list, watching them lose confidence & then off to another side they go.

Gus did absolutely nothing wrong pre-injury, so unless he’s not yet fully match fit, it’s baffling (at least to me it is).

And whilst I’m having a melt - not particularly impressed with the Armatey selection either.

I feel like Sheldrick was probably hurt by not having another string to his bow compared to the other options who were on the fringes, like Roberts, Campbell, Fox etc.

If Sheldrick is fourth or fifth in the midfield pecking order, then he would've been spending a substantial portion of the game playing elsewhere. The coaches probably thought we have players who are as good as Sheldrick at playing inside mid but better than Sheldrick at playing, say, a wing, flank or forward pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And whilst I’m having a melt - not particularly impressed with the Armatey selection either.

Mate.
You've got more projection than IMAX.

Imo sheldrick was going against JJ.

Which one of those would you prefer?

I feel like Sheldrick was probably hurt by not having another string to his bow compared to the other options who were on the fringes, like Roberts, Campbell, Fox etc.

If Sheldrick is fourth or fifth in the midfield pecking order, then he would've been spending a substantial portion of the game playing elsewhere. The coaches probably thought we have players who are as good as Sheldrick at playing inside mid but better than Sheldrick at playing, say, a wing, flank or forward pocket.
sigh, that’s likely true.

BUT

Having Chad and Errol on the inside didn’t bring out the best in our midfield last year & I have no reason to believe it’ll do so now.

An awful lot is going to fall on Rowy.

I’ve just posted an answer to a similar question in another thread.

Try logging out and logging back in. That worked for me.
This worked. Thank you! Appreciate it.

Mate.
You've got more projection than IMAX.

Imo sheldrick was going against JJ.

Which one of those would you prefer?
The DQ Swans would have seen JJ on a wing, Gus in the middle & Armatey omitted.

But nonetheless - here’s hoping it’s onwards to victoreeeeee.

PS: Is IMAX still a thing? I remember going there in the 90’s!

Not sure what Swans team you've been watching if you think our issue hasn't been fronting up and being hard at the contest. Pretty much the only thing that's held us back in this current era has been we're style over substance.
I dead set think it's been the opposite. Contest first defensive mindset slogfest that would on occasion give us a hard fought win. That's when we demanded a horse gameplan change, since then it's been more flare.

sigh, that’s likely true.

BUT

Having Chad and Errol on the inside didn’t bring out the best in our midfield last year & I have no reason to believe it’ll do so now.

An awful lot is going to fall on Rowy.
I don't really disagree with any of that.

I suspect it won't just be Warner & Gulden though, but also Heeney & Jordon, who are two different looks we've never thrown at Melbourne before, and though neither are exactly inside experts, their experience and maturity relative to Sheldrick may just help them read the flow of the game a little better.

You already know what I think about Rowbottom.

I dead set think it's been the opposite. Contest first defensive mindset slogfest that would on occasion give us a hard fought win. That's when we demanded a horse gameplan change, since then it's been more flare.
Yeah and we haven't looked like a contender since.

Yep. I remember the first sub we ever had. Longmire took the bold choice to choose Mark Seaby, a move that no other coach has made since as no one was dumb enough to pick a ruckman as a sub.
Darcy Fort has been the activated sub on 5 occasions for the Lions.
The players he has been substituted in for are; Dunkley, Lohmann, Bailey, Rich & Zorko.
Lions won 4 of the 5., losing only to Richmond at the MCG, by 7 points.

To quote Longmire re Seaby as sub;

"’Mummy’s’ knee was a bit sore last week. So you go into a game thinking it might be unfair to Jesse White … if something happened to ‘Mummy’, Jesse would be one-out...
"Those things are all taken into consideration. At the end of the day you make a decision based on not only your substitute but also your other 21 players. We thought we had the flexibility to cover any scenario that happened."

It may have been a mistake, but there was a reasoning behind it.

Yeah and we haven't looked like a contender since.
I rekn making a granny wasn't too bad a result. I'm talking more 10 years ago coming into the last 3 yrs which is when we started changing it up.

The only contest work we've been s**t with was the mids last year due to obvious reasons. Fix he midfield, which would've been fine with mills, Parker and Adams, and we'd be close to unbeatable with our outside mix. A vanilla, pure contest team would get absolutely rinsed today.

Darcy Fort has been the activated sub on 5 occasions for the Lions.
The players he has been substituted in for are; Dunkley, Lohmann, Bailey, Rich & Zorko.
Lions won 4 of the 5., losing only to Richmond at the MCG, by 7 points.

To quote Longmire re Seaby as sub;

"’Mummy’s’ knee was a bit sore last week. So you go into a game thinking it might be unfair to Jesse White … if something happened to ‘Mummy’, Jesse would be one-out...
"Those things are all taken into consideration. At the end of the day you make a decision based on not only your substitute but also your other 21 players. We thought we had the flexibility to cover any scenario that happened."

It may have been a mistake, but there was a reasoning behind it.
It was based purely on potential injury to a single player who was deemed fit enough to play. It's was an ordinary decision either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back