News Rachele and Soligo contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

Get the feeling already that Rachele is going to be a special player.
Yep. But i think there are going to be others too..i get this feeling that we are in for an enjoyable year..maybe not in terms of win / loss, but we are going to see plenty to get up and about for with the younger players at the club...dawson included!!

Certainly has some risk.

Would be interesting to see average time on an AFL list for 1st/2nd round picks for players considered a bust (lets say played < 10 games or wherever you set the bust threshold). Would guess its somewhere around 3.5 years. Point is we've taken them early based on potential and irrespective of performance would likely give them 3-4 years to come good anyway. So the risk is minimal in my opinion - and if we're using it for salary cap flexibility to pull that money forward makes it all the more worthwhile.

Would be interesting to see average time on an AFL list for 1st/2nd round picks for players considered a bust (lets say played < 10 games or wherever you set the bust threshold). Would guess its somewhere around 3.5 years. Point is we've taken them early based on potential and irrespective of performance would likely give them 3-4 years to come good anyway. So the risk is minimal in my opinion - and if we're using it for salary cap flexibility to pull that money forward makes it all the more worthwhile.

I guess it also helps that our list is not firing on all cylinders at the moment anyway. It would be a much bigger risk at a top 4 club gunning for a flag where a young player picked in the second round may not get any games even if he's performing well in the reserves.

The only downside is for people who were hoping we were going to use that cap space to lure in a big fish. I think the club has made it pretty clear by now that this is a full rebuild and they won't be papering over the cracks with mature age recruits. This is a good thing imo.

In truth these extensions don't really negatively impact our ability to land a big fish. They were already contracted through the end of 2023.

It is surprising that we would lock in Soligo so early without seeing him play a game - especially considering where he was drafted. Don't really think the Soligo signing is good or bad. s**t - we gave Galluci a 2 year contract extension in Jan of 2018.

Last edited:
I guess so. I'm of the opinion that unless our youth turns out to be spectacular, we're not going to be in a premiership window in 2025 anyway. So we're only risking a fairly minimal salary in a year that is unlikely to be a premiership year anyway. Good risk to take.
Yes I think its the type of risk to take rather than gambling on older players from other clubs etc. Be interesting what we do in this years' draft and trade period in that regard.

Are both these guys expected to play in the practice game on Friday? Would be nice to get a look at them in action to hopefully see a bit of what it is that has the club so excited about them.

I'm guessing the team looks something like this:

B: Brown McAsey Davis
HB: McPherson Murray Jones
C: McHenry Crouch Hinge
HF: Gollant Fogarty Rowe
F: Rachele Thilthorpe McAdam
Fol: O'Brien Laird Keays
Int: Berry, Strachan, Hately, Pedlar, Soligo, Worrell, Taylor, Parnell, Nankervis

Just depends on how big of a bench we go with. Guessing Taylor, Parnell and Nankervis most likely to miss.

Int: Berry, Strachan, Hately, Pedlar, Soligo, Worrell, Taylor, Parnell, Nankervis

Just depends on how big of a bench we go with. Guessing Taylor, Parnell and Nankervis most likely to miss.
Is Dawson unavailable? Or just not in your side?

Parnell looks like he can get a run in the Auskick at half time :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parnell looks like he can get a run in the Auskick at half time :D
He should be ready for an AFL debut around 2028..

Yet another strange use of a pick/list spot..

We were in dire need of a small forward around the time of the MSD last year.. even Nicksy said so about a week before it in a presser..

so, instead, we grab a small half back thats light years away from being ready for AFL..

And it wasnt like we were strapped for half back flankers at the time either..

We were in dire need of a small forward around the time of the MSD last year.. even Nicksy said so about a week before it in a presser..

so, instead, we grab a small half back thats light years away from being ready for AFL..

They also said at the time Parnell has/could play forward/mid/back.

He's a typical Ogilvie pick

Another thing our list needed was as much talent as possible and Parnell helps fill that out. Like Cook and Gollant, there is a serious game once you scratch below the surface. After all, it's rare to get someone who ticks all of the quick (and aglie), skilled, smart and tough boxes.

Last edited:

You wouldn't have said that if you watched his early season form for the Murray Bushrangers, he was an absolute standout with his speed, agility, precision kicking and ability to find the pill.....he was always going to go early in the MSD, no way would he have come nearly as cheap if clubs had waited to the following year's National draft.

If he continues where he left off last year in the SANFL this season it's not out of the question he could very well be pushing for AFL selection with his ability to distribute the ball so effectively. Would almost be the best kick on our list.

You wouldn't have said that if you watched his early season form for the Murray Bushrangers, he was an absolute standout with his speed, agility, precision kicking and ability to find the pill.....he was always going to go early in the MSD, no way would he have come nearly as cheap if clubs had waited to the following year's National draft.

If he continues where he left off last year in the SANFL this season it's not out of the question he could very well be pushing for AFL selection with his ability to distribute the ball so effectively. Would almost be the best kick on our list.
I’m not against Parnell at all.. he seems like a great kid who has a very good skill set..

Just pointing out that it was strange given that we, at the time, needed a small forward badly (and even Nicksy himself said this) and instead we grabbed a lad that was a half back and far too much of a bantamweight to even consider playing at the time.

Hopefully we do see him this year.. if not, then what the hell was the point if it all?..

we seemed to have used a draft (MSD), that is set up so teams can replace holes in their team/spuad mid season, to fill an already full hole in the squad whilst ignoring a gapping hole down the other end of the field..

Wouldnt be at all surprised to see him never play an AFL game for us though. Time will tell. Lets hope the lad makes it.

I’m not against Parnell at all.. he seems like a great kid who has a very good skill set..

Just pointing out that it was strange given that we, at the time, needed a small forward badly (and even Nicksy himself said this) and instead we grabbed a lad that was a half back and far too much of a bantamweight to even consider playing at the time.

Hopefully we do see him this year.. if not, then what the hell was the point if it all?..

we seemed to have used a draft (MSD), that is set up so teams can replace holes in their team/spuad mid season, to fill an already full hole in the squad whilst ignoring a gapping hole down the other end of the field..

Wouldnt be at all surprised to see him never play an AFL game for us though. Time will tell. Lets hope the lad makes it.
Given where we're at in the rebuild, I don't think any of our recruiting is really aimed at who we can play right now. It's people who we'll be wanting to play 2 years from now. I know MSD is officially intended to plug holes left by injured players, but that's not necessarily what it's actually used for.

My view on Parnell is the opposite, very optimistic.

Everyone 6 months prior to the mid season draft were talking about Victorian kids that didn't get drafted slipping through to the mid season draft and then being snapped up. We got one of those, very savvy recruiting.

I'd rather us having a look at a young guy with pace, agility and most of all potential elite kicking, than some state league mature aged small forward.

I'm not pigeon-holing him to half back just yet, but what if he ends up being the best of the half backs we have?

It's one thing to need a small forward, and an altogether different thing to find one in that year's MSD that looks to have a future.

No way I'm taking Jed McEntee before Patrick Parnell who played almost all his junior footy for Sturt as a mid.

This is the list of those taken in the MSD...

2021 MID-SEASON DRAFT SELECTIONS​

1. North Melbourne - Jacob Edwards (Sandringham - athletic key forward/ruck)
2. Hawthorn - Jai Newcombe (Box Hill Hawks - powerful inside midfielder)
3. Collingwood - Ash Johnson (Sturt - high leaping third tall forward)
4. Adelaide - Patrick Parnell (Murray Bushrangers - aggressive rebounding defender)
5. Gold Coast - Ned Moyle (Oakleigh Chargers - competitive ruck)
6. Carlton - Alex Mirkov (Carlton VFL - project ruck)
7. St Kilda - Max Heath (Sandringham Dragons - aggressive ruck)
8. GWS - James Peatling (GWS VFL - damaging utility)
9. Essendon - Sam Durham (Richmond VFL - skilful general defender/outside midfielder)
10. Richmond - Matthew Parker (South Fremantle - talented forward)
11. West Coast - Will Collins (Swan Districts - negating defender)
12. Sydney - Lachlan McAndrew (Sydney VFL - project ruck)
13. Port Adelaide - Jed McEntee (Sturt - small pressure forward/midfielder)
14. Brisbane - Kalin Lane (Claremont - competitive tap ruck)
15. Melbourne - Kye Declase (Werribee - tall utility)
16. North Melbourne - Charlie Ham (Geelong Falcons - quick general defender/outside midfielder)
17. Hawthorn - Jackson Callow (Norwood - strong marking key position player)
18. Collingwood - Aiden Begg (Eastern Ranges - competitive key position player)
19. Gold Coast - pass
20. Carlton - Jordan Boyd (Footscray VFL - rebounding defender/small forward)
21. St Kilda - Cooper Sharman (Oakleigh Chargers/Woodville-West Torrens - high leaping third tall forward)
22. Essendon - pass
23. West Coast - Connor West (West Perth - speedy outside midfield)
24. Melbourne - Daniel Turner (Murray Bushrangers - strong marking third tall defender)
25. Carlton - pass
26. St Kilda - pass
27. St Kilda - pass

Remove this Banner Ad

Back