Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it an irrelevant factor. He's better than anyone else they've recruited in recent times.
It doesn’t bother me too much, but I’m from NSW.

The main reason I think it is important to have a mix is because generally commentators are a lot more well acquainted with what is going on below first class level in their own states. Geoff Lawson used to get a lot of stick for going on about Sydney grade cricket, but I found it interesting - you don’t get that sort of background on TV.

It’s good when you have commentators in the box who are involved in their state’s cricket setup and genuinely familiar with the young players. Sometimes it’s painfully obvious they’ve just watched some Shield highlights and cribbed a stat sheet.

Last edited:

The main reason I think it is important to have a mix is because generally commentators are a lot more well acquainted with what is going on below first class level in their own states. Geoff Lawson used to get a lot of stick for going on about Sydney grade cricket, but I found it interesting - you don’t get that sort of background on TV.

It’s good when you have commentators in the box who are involved in their state’s cricket setup and genuinely familiar with the young players. Sometimes it’s painfully obvious they’ve just watched some Shield highlights and cribbed a stat sheet.
I think it's optimistic to think many of them even watch shield highlights.

Dirk Nannes is also good because of this. He knows Victorian cricket very well.

That was the advantage of the old (and, in my view, superior) ABC approach, which had home state experts - Keith Stackpole in Victoria, Terry Jenner in South Australia, Bob Massie in Western Australia etc. As you point out, Lawson did that exceptionally well (he was also very good at explaining the toll of fatigue on players, which was informed by his optometry career as well as his own cricket career).

Perhaps that's the biggest issue of all. Without going too far into CLR James territory, there's a habit for modern players who have experienced nothing but a career at the top level of cricket to give us some very blinkered and bland insights.

I’m listening to Sen but the Vic bias is also nauseating. They even had a go at Hayden this morning for his comments in the paper on how Harris needs to play straighter if he’s to succeed at the Gabba. And then how does exactly Harris get out....

Victorians are most parochial ppl; 7 & foxtel stacked with commentators from or living in Melbourne but when they have to listen to somebody talk Sydney grade - which is engine room for Aussie cricket - they can't bear it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who on earth would hire Greg Richie these days?

I thought he was persona non grata on the Australian cricket scene ever since he made racist jokes during a CA function for the touring South Africans a few years ago.

He wasn't doing commentary, he was just doing an interview for a sports talkback show.

Last edited:
It looks like James Brayshaw has got his wish: Triple M is returning to do cricket is Summer

I imagine it will be much cheaper for them this time as they probably won't fly big commentary teams around the country.

Also while SEN have expanded not having 3AW is one less station to compete with.

How many of their previous team will be working for them this summer? Many of their previous team JB, Howie, Isa, Skull etc are also on TV. Having the likes of Howie and JB doing tv & radio can cause some issues re the two commentary styles required.

How many of their previous team will be working for them this summer? Many of their previous team JB, Howie, Isa, Skull etc are also on TV. Having the likes of Howie and JB doing tv & radio can cause some issues re the two commentary styles required.

It must make rosterting difficult. Given Blewett co-host a nightly show on SA radio I assume he will be on the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back