Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that gets me about 9/11 is that I will never properly understand how the world changed, as I can’t remember the world as it was before 9/11. You can watch countless documentaries and hours of footage about the WTC and the world prior to 9/11 but I don’t think anyone my age or younger can really grasp how the world changed. It took me until this year to find a specific piece of footage of one of the planes going into the towers to make me feel physically sick. I can’t imagine how it felt to anyone old enough at the time to realise what was happening.

All my childhood memories are from 2002 onwards, so 9/11 (for me at least) is something devastating and sad in the same way the holocaust was. I know it was a tragic event but I’ll never fully comprehend it on the same level someone who was older than me will. (That is, I didn’t see the event live and wasn’t old enough to comprehend the fallout or the shift in thinking across the world).
Really well said.
I do vividly remember dad had a Swiss Army knife on his keys and after 9/11 I recall him telling me why he had to take it off his keys (regular flyer).
Strange how the small things you remember.

I also think I remember when you could go to the gate if you were not flying, but as far as more relaxed airport security, I don't think so.

The major world moments for our generation will be Obama being elected (first black President) and possibly the fall out of Brexit and Trump.
I remember a lot of people saying when Obama was elected that they all thought a black President could happen in their lifetime but not for a long time yet

Really well said.
I do vividly remember dad had a Swiss Army knife on his keys and after 9/11 I recall him telling me why he had to take it off his keys (regular flyer).
Strange how the small things you remember.

I also think I remember when you could go to the gate if you were not flying, but as far as more relaxed airport security, I don't think so.

The major world moments for our generation will be Obama being elected (first black President) and possibly the fall out of Brexit and Trump.
I remember a lot of people saying when Obama was elected that they all thought a black President could happen in their lifetime but not for a long time yet
My dad did the paper run for our town at the time. He remembers turning the radio on and wondering why every station had news or chat on instead of music.

My dad did the paper run for our town at the time. He remembers turning the radio on and wondering why every station had news or chat on instead of music.
It's weird to me that my younger sister has no connection to it.
It may have been you before that said 'you just know it was bad' without the connection.

I remember it, where I have no idea about the Y2K - but my sister only knows one way to fly.

Jesus, even Grandsun I know we rag on him a bit but I remember when the Internet boomed and took off like it did, and I wasn't that young.
The idea that he doesn't know a world without BigFooty or Google in your pocket weirds me out to a degree.

I can remember when it became a thing to ask "what's your mobile?" not home number, and then "Are you on Facebook?" not MSN!

I even got my first smart phone at nearly 19, and then went a year without a phone at all!

It may have been you before that said 'you just know it was bad' without the connection.

I remember it, where I have no idea about the Y2K - but my sister only knows one way to fly.

Jesus, even Grandsun I know we rag on him a bit but I remember when the Internet boomed and took off like it did, and I wasn't that young.
The idea that he doesn't know a world without BigFooty or Google in your pocket weirds me out to a degree.

I can remember when it became a thing to ask "what's your mobile?" not home number, and then "Are you on Facebook?" not MSN!

I even got my first smart phone at nearly 19, and then went a year without a phone at all!
TBF, Google was created in 1996 and Bigfooty in 1999

TBF, Google was created in 1996 and Bigfooty in 1999
But they didn't exist the same way as they do now then.

Lynton for example only knows the phrase "Google it"

I didn’t have my first computer class until Year 2/3 (03/04). Didn’t have internet atthe family home until 2007, and even then it was begrudgingly by my parents. I was lucky that I actually had a childhood away from computers. But when we got the internet it was all downhill from there my second phone was an iPhone 3GS in 2010. I was 14 with a flagship smartphone! Crazy.

For reference:

First gaming system (Got one in about 1991/92):
NES-NoGame-1Controller.jpg

First mobile phone (In year 7, 1997):
220px-Nokia-5125-Cobalt-Front-Upright.jpg

First computer: hand me down from relatives in about 1995/96 and featured the amazing Pentium 286 processor.

Started high school with only one computer with available internet (was still dial-up) for students in the library. By the time I finished all computers had internet at a decent speed, but no facebook (still Myspace).

For reference:

First gaming system (Got one in about 1991/92):
NES-NoGame-1Controller.jpg

First mobile phone (In year 7, 1997):
220px-Nokia-5125-Cobalt-Front-Upright.jpg

First computer: hand me down from relatives in about 1995/96 and featured the amazing Pentium 286 processor.

Started high school with only one computer with available internet (was still dial-up) for students in the library. By the time I finished all computers had internet at a decent speed, but no facebook (still Myspace).
Those Nokias were tanks. Could peg them at a wall and it'd break the wall

Still have my first ever computer kept at my folks somewhere. Also can still remember the specs

Pentium 2, 333Mhz processor with 64mb of RAM and a 6.03gb HDD, ran Windows 95

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone watching the cricket? Absolutely terrible jumper clash, both teams are in white!! This is embarrassing, I think one or more property stewards will lose their jobs unfortunately.
Away team in white shorts should fix it.

True story: I was in a plane when the 9/11 attacks happened. I was 13, and had been to Greece with my grandfather. We were on our way back. I reckon it happened just as we crossed into Australian airspace, because the plane started to head south towards Perth, instead of south-east to Melbourne, but we did eventually turn and go on to Melbourne. Our theory was that every plane anywhere in the world was directed to the nearest major airport, but we were deemed safe enough to continue on.

My brother was watching it all unfold on the late news with Sandra Sully before they were coming to pick us up from the airport. We stayed up till about 4am watching the aftermath on CNN when we got home. It was all very surreal.

I still have my itinerary from the trip somewhere that has our flight date of 11 Sept 2001, which I reckon is pretty cool.
If you go back to the ATC tapes, noone had any idea what was going on until the first plane hit the tower. Then, in a matter of minutes, the second one did and then an "ATC Zero" condition was declared. All planes in US (and I believe Canadian airspace) were given the "SCATANA" codeword, and then grounded or had to land at the nearest airport. Whoever you were flying with may have been told to prepare to be grounded, but then given an all clear.

If you go back to the ATC tapes, noone had any idea what was going on until the first plane hit the tower. Then, in a matter of minutes, the second one did and then an "ATC Zero" condition was declared. All planes in US (and I believe Canadian airspace) were given the "SCATANA" codeword, and then grounded or had to land at the nearest airport. Whoever you were flying with may have been told to prepare to be grounded, but then given an all clear.

Sounds very plausible. We were flying Emirates which would almost certainly have had planes flying to/from the US. They could have got the message and relayed it to the entire fleet before addressing things on a case-by-case basis perhaps.

Still have my first ever computer kept at my folks somewhere. Also can still remember the specs

Pentium 2, 333Mhz processor with 64mb of RAM and a 6.03gb HDD, ran Windows 95

Was that a desktop? A 6GB HDD on a Win95 PC seems huge! My first computer was a laptop I had to have for school. It was in 2000, ran Win98 and only had a 4GB HDD. My bro had a Win95 laptop in 1998 that only had a 1GB HDD!

Was that a desktop? A 6GB HDD on a Win95 PC seems huge! My first computer was a laptop I had to have for school. It was in 2000, ran Win98 and only had a 4GB HDD. My bro had a Win95 laptop in 1998 that only had a 1GB HDD!

Yeah you're right, it was actually Win98. My first laptop was older, had a B&W display and ran Windows 3.1 lel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back