Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

I have an idea for a portfolio of making footy record covers? Thoughts?

Excited to see it! The AFL Record usually has a competition to design the cover for Round 23, if it comes back this year and you've honed your craft with the portfolio you might have a chance at winning!

The other option of course is more workshop threads. That AFL Record cover idea could work really well as a workshop. (Not saying you can’t do your own portfolio of it though The Victorian - go right ahead!)

Doesn’t have to be an actual footy jumper workshop like the Jumper Ideas thread. I remember we had that good one a while back ripping at the lame afl.com.au pun headlines. Stuff like that is good.

The other option of course is more workshop threads. That AFL Record cover idea could work really well as a workshop. (Not saying you can’t do your own portfolio of it though The Victorian - go right ahead!)

Doesn’t have to be an actual footy jumper workshop like the Jumper Ideas thread. I remember we had that good one a while back ripping at the lame afl.com.au pun headlines. Stuff like that is good.

If you think the AFL Record cover idea would be better as a workshop go for your life! That way anyone can put their ideas for AFL Record covers! It could also be the idea of any sporting magazines?

For reference, I spent a long time quite a long time coming up with ideas, testing my ideas and then putting together the final design for Can-Am, and I was proud of what I submitted. I knew it wouldn't win the entire competition, but I was hoping to sneak a few wins and maybe challenge for the playoffs.

But when I'm getting results like these, it's just not a great feeling:

View attachment 713649

*sorry NY Turtles, fantastic design but I'm throwing you under the bus here
To be fair, I think the matchup is a lot closer than the votes give it credit for and I'm sure its the same feel for a few others. It's just that when designs are so close you start looking at the little things which bring out the design, for me it was the fact that the Turtles had the spikes featured on the Statue of Liberty, I thought that was a real nice connection to the city. Looking at my first CAN AM, I'm lucky I even got votes in my games

If you think the AFL Record cover idea would be better as a workshop go for your life! That way anyone can put their ideas for AFL Record covers! It could also be the idea of any sporting magazines?
You'll probably get banned if you start posting your sports illustrated swimwear edition covers.

You'll probably get banned if you start posting your sports illustrated swimwear edition covers.
Andonis was fine for suggesting lingerie was a suitable gift for a 9 y/o so I think he'll dodge the banhammer :p

Man, I should keep up with this thread more often.

SparkleNarkle - keep your chin up. I've been there, done that. It's damn hard to compete with the likes of Freight Train, El_Scorcho and Bacon Warrior but as others have said, they've been doing this stuff for years. That said, I understand where you're coming from - my best finish on this board in a comp with everyone involved is third... in three years on the board. I'd recommend putting your focus into NAFL Reserves, the weekly comps and portfolios so you can develop your skills without the aforementioned results. Get involved in the quickfire comps like Scorch's Bondi Beach flag comp so you can measure your progress along the way.

If the competition you want to participate in doesn't exist, feel free to add an idea to the competitions thread. I don't think any of the top designers would begrudge the up and comers from having a comp on their level without the top flight involved. That said, please follow Scorch's advice and keep playing with tools, preparing ideas from scratch. You'll have seen more of my non-footy jumper work than most here and I can attribute that to the advice many, particularly Scorch, have given me along the way and their encouragement to keep playing with tools. Most of my Sweet FA work comes about really quickly now because people come to me with ideas and I know how to execute them with the tools at my disposal. Footy jumpers take a little more time but that's because I have to come up with the ideas :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For reference, I spent a long time quite a long time coming up with ideas, testing my ideas and then putting together the final design for Can-Am, and I was proud of what I submitted. I knew it wouldn't win the entire competition, but I was hoping to sneak a few wins and maybe challenge for the playoffs.

But when I'm getting results like these, it's just not a great feeling:

View attachment 713649

*sorry NY Turtles, fantastic design but I'm throwing you under the bus here
My question with this is what happened to the other 11.1% of the votes?

It just takes time and practice to get where you want, nobody is going to be making photo-realistic designs on Photoshop on their first time designing, that's just rational. When I joined this board in 2013(?) I entered a Seattle team into the IFA competition. I spent a long time designing on paint for that, and if I remember correctly I probably only ended up winning one or two games. Fast forward to 2018, and I'm using Photoshop, something I would have only dreamed about in 2013. I've designed my own template and after competing in countless different league competitions over the years, I finally won a competition for my Seattle franchise. My Alice Springs Pirates are a similar story, starting from a mid-table finish in 2014/15, got promoted in 2017 and made the preliminary final in the league competition last season. What I'm trying to say is that for most people designing is a persistence thing, the more competitions you enter, the better at Photoshop you'll get, until you reach a stage where you can win league competitions and challenge the likes of Freight Train, BW and El_Scorcho amongst others.

bN4LmHt.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back