Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

how about pigeons, the laziest bird ever

you can chase them down and they will just power walk away until the very last second until they go ok ok, you got me, ill fly.. you hear the vvvvtt vvvt vvvttt noise, they flap like three times and fly for about a meter, then go walking again.

FLY! you have wings

My old man had a mate who owned two Seagulls (not sure how someone can own a seagull, so let's call it 'they hung around') in Ascot Vale.
They were called This & That. Came when called & walked around inside his house and sat with him when he watched TV.
They followed him everywhere. Maybe they weren't geniuses but they weren't stupid.

Sparrows are stupid.

did your old mans mate live in a cardboad box out the back alley of union rd?

In a splendid (bird pun appreciated by audience) gala event the 2017 bird of the year award was held this week. It was a thrilling count that went down to the bird wire, with under 100 votes separating 1st and 2nd

Perennial underdog the bin chicken, southern ibis looked to have snatched a most unlikely victory but in the end the stock standard Magpie prevailed.

View attachment 444799

It's a good list, very dissapointed my favourite bird the satin Bowerbird couldn't rate even a mention... I shall be petitioning for a voting bloc from bf next year. Put out your blue stuff.
Fmd so we're counting rainbow lorikeets as Australian birds now despite the fact they were introduced and are considered vermin.

What? Really?
Yes. In Western Australia at least.

The rainbow lorikeet was accidentally released into the southwest of Western Australia near the University of Western Australia in the 1960s and they have since been classified as a pest.[2]

A feral population of rainbow lorikeets was established in New Zealand after a North Shore, Auckland, resident illegally[22] released significant numbers of captive-reared birds in the area in the 1990s, which started breeding in the wild. By 1999, a self-sustaining feral population of 150–200 birds had been established in the region, proving that they could survive and adapt to the New Zealand environment.[23] The Department of Conservation, concerned that rainbow lorikeets would outcompete native honeyeaters and by the possible threat to pristine island habitats such as Little Barrier Island, began eradicating the feral population in 2000. MPI (the Ministry of Primary Industries) Bio-security, in partnership with DOC and regional councils, now manages rainbow lorikeets under the National Interest Pest Response initiative. The aim of the response is to prevent rainbow lorikeets from becoming established in the wild.[23] Late in 2010, five of these birds were discovered living in the Mount Maunganui area. They were fed for a few days before being trapped by a Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries contractor.[24]

Many fruit orchard owners consider them a pest, as they often fly in groups and strip trees containing fresh fruit. In urban areas, the birds create nuisance noise and foul outdoor areas and vehicles with droppings.[17]

In Western Australia, a major impact of the rainbow lorikeet is competition with indigenous bird species. This includes domination of food sources and competition for increasingly scarce nesting hollows.[17] Bird species such as the purple-crowned lorikeet, the Carnaby's black cockatoo,[17] and the Australian ringneck are adversely affected or displaced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_lorikeet

It's not a Rosella which is a mistake a lot of people make.

my parents have the Eastern rosella and crimson rosella in their yard all the time, the lorikeets come in in packs and sound them out

apparently the rosella are the only bird of its kind that can clasp food in its claw and eat it - or it could be my dad telling porkies?

but the lorikeet story of being introduced is curious - ive been to many places in vic, and in qld - places that only have natural flora and fauna, and they have lorikeet feeding.

but the lorikeet story of being introduced is curious - ive been to many places in vic, and in qld - places that only have natural flora and fauna, and they have lorikeet feeding.
Yeah well apparently it's an Australian bird now because the government has given up trying to eradicate it. How long before the cane toad is considered an Australian toad? I was under the impression they were native to South Africa actually but I can't seem to find any reference to that. They're definitely introduced to WA and other parts of Australia though.

Lorikeet's are great! Favourite bird.
I am our extinct native birds' complete lack of surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my boy is all over the bush birds

in the car he is spotting birds out the window like short billed corellas and this and that

he has an aboriginal kinder helper teacher - they have given him an awesome grounding in bush knowledge and what not, I love it!

he always says to me dad, did you know the originals used spears and nulla nullas to get animals in the bush to eat? (he cant yet say aboriginal property but originals is a great Freudian slip!)

anyhow, ive gotten him this huge poster for xmas with all the bush birds on it - hope its a crowd pleaser...

Sounds great Howard Moon. I'm sure he'll love it. We have a couple of big flame trees in the backyard and a few years ago I put a bird bath between them hoping they might use it and it's been an absolute hit. Just last week I was pondering while watering the garden (as you do) about setting up a little hut with some camo netting to try and get some good photos. Have had willy wagtails (one of which I posted a pic a couple years ago eating out of my hand), New Holland honey eaters, wattle birds, silver eyes, a 28, doves and even ravens using it. The NH honey eaters are quite comical when they travel in flocks of up to a dozen and all use it at the same time. Kind of remind me of the anthill mob from wacky races. The 28 was pretty amusing as well watching him walk around the circumference of the bath then stick a foot in almost as if to test the temperature was to his liking before committing to a dip.

When I was a kid I made a bird feeder as part of a cub scouts project for some badge. It was just a wooden stake with a square piece of ply on top and each edge of the ply had a thin strip of wood across it to save the food from sliding straight off. I started using crumbled bread with only moderate success, then bought some native bird seed and the birds used to go nuts over it.

Howard Moon something like that could be a good, simple father/son bonding thing to make and stake into the back corner of the yard to see what kind of birds reside in the area. You may be surprised with what lobs in.

Sounds great Howard Moon. I'm sure he'll love it. We have a couple of big flame trees in the backyard and a few years ago I put a bird bath between them hoping they might use it and it's been an absolute hit. Just last week I was pondering while watering the garden (as you do) about setting up a little hut with some camo netting to try and get some good photos. Have had willy wagtails (one of which I posted a pic a couple years ago eating out of my hand), New Holland honey eaters, wattle birds, silver eyes, a 28, doves and even ravens using it. The NH honey eaters are quite comical when they travel in flocks of up to a dozen and all use it at the same time. Kind of remind me of the anthill mob from wacky races. The 28 was pretty amusing as well watching him walk around the circumference of the bath then stick a foot in almost as if to test the temperature was to his liking before committing to a dip.

yehhh build a hide! nothing better, just sitting in there contemplating life waiting for a few birds to arrive that you can tick off the list

nothing better than when Birds come into the yard all skittish and you slowly slowly slowly earn their trust, before long you see the same birds coming back again and again - I reckon you befriend them, they know its a safe place and they come back.

We had this one rosella keep coming back, id feed him from my hand - but anytime the kids would come out he'd fly off to the fence - my boy called him dads friend - from then on, ANYwhere we would go, could be a 4 hour drive away, see a rosella.. "there's dads friend!" he has no grasp of distance, to him, anyone he sees is the one from our yard that I feed...

nothing better than when Birds come into the yard all skittish and you slowly slowly slowly earn their trust, before long you see the same birds coming back again and again - I reckon you befriend them, they know its a safe place and they come back.

We had this one rosella keep coming back, id feed him from my hand - but anytime the kids would come out he'd fly off to the fence - my boy called him dads friend - from then on, ANYwhere we would go, could be a 4 hour drive away, see a rosella.. "there's dads friend!" he has no grasp of distance, to him, anyone he sees is the one from our yard that I feed...
Our most frequent visitor is a wattle bird. You can almost set your watch by it each afternoon. Turns up and has about half a dozen good dips in the bath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back