Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
well it's a bit of a meh to me...anyway, the guy won so...(the clip at the bottom is more interesting with the moving equaliser)

nothing scientific, just someone's take on things

(now that I've listened to the other finalists....reckon the winner is even more meh!!!)

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ray Kurzweil, described as an 'ex-Google engineer', has predicted that we'll start using medical nanobots by 2030.

That's only 7 years and it's an absolute crap prediction. Don't hold your breath, it won't happen by then. We have no idea what form medical nanobots will take, we have no idea how to power them or control them. Many sizes of nanoparticles are directly toxic to cells. The article points out he has been correct in 86% of his predictions, then quotes this:

'Kurzweil made another startling prediction in 1999: he said that by 2023 a $1,000 laptop would have a human brain’s computing power and storage capacity.'

Which was another crap prediction. He's a really clever guy so if he says something it's well worth listening, however it shows even the cleverest folks can be wrong. To describe him as an 'ex-Google engineer is really pretty demeaning, he is a genuine computer genius who has innovated in multiple areas eg the first OCR software, Kurzweil synths, text to speech synthesis and others.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Orphaned Orangutan mother with a newborn needed to watch a human breast feed before she could do it herself.

Animals copy behavoirs all the time, as do people. Most important thing to remember if you are in a leadership position.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Orphaned Orangutan mother with a newborn needed to watch a human breast feed before she could do it herself.

Animals copy behavoirs all the time, as do people. Most important thing to remember if you are in a leadership position.
need Sir David Attenborough doco to give a blow by blow lesson in 4K

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
While at sea, Elephant seals sleep in 10 minute naps that see them slowly corkscrew downwards. Amazing.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

my 2c from personal exp.
2019 faceplanted on concrete, had to drain blood out ala Jack Higgins, discovered brain tumour, removed. Reckoned I made full recovery, physically stronger, put on muscles (became a gardener, no more being inside), no fatigue, can work or work out for hours.
2022, tumour came back, fkin annoying, had it removed again...then had a month of DAILY radiation to remove what was too dangerous to be done in surgery. FATIGUE! that's the biggest thing i've noticed. So 2nd time around i was discharged from the Alfred 2 days after brain surgery, gotta be a world record...its the radiation that had caused the fatigue..it's lingering around, been told could be months, very annoying.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

my 2c from personal exp.
2019 faceplanted on concrete, had to drain blood out ala Jack Higgins, discovered brain tumour, removed. Reckoned I made full recovery, physically stronger, put on muscles (became a gardener, no more being inside), no fatigue, can work or work out for hours.
2022, tumour came back, fkin annoying, had it removed again...then had a month of DAILY radiation to remove what was too dangerous to be done in surgery. FATIGUE! that's the biggest thing i've noticed. So 2nd time around i was discharged from the Alfred 2 days after brain surgery, gotta be a world record...its the radiation that had caused the fatigue..it's lingering around, been told could be months, very annoying.
Wow, Captcha, that's some story. Finding a tumour after trauma is not that uncommon for a number of reasons. I hope you get over the fatigue, I'm afraid it's not an area I have any knowledge.

Concussion is a difficult topic, it's only recently we have recognized milder cases, the genetics of those at risk and understanding that the effects of minor repetitive injuries can cause cumulative effects. There is a lot to play out with the concussion story.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A new technique, gravitational lensing, has been used to measure the expansion of the universe.

It's long been known the universe is expaning and the rate of this expansion in known as the Hubble constant. Until now the value of the Hubble constant has been derived from the Cosmic Microwave Background or from measurement of the apparent distance to objects in the present-day Universe. Initially these were different but the margins of error overlapped, so they could have been actually been the same. However later more accurate measurements have shown these differ by about 10 percent.

'The best fits of their models all ended up slightly below the value of the Hubble constant derived from the Cosmic Microwave Background, with the difference being within the statistical error.'

If there is no technical errors to explain the discrepancy then it suggests our models are in error, these situations often lead to new theoretical approaches and sometimes new break throughs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back