Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

How many T-Rex existed at one time during the cretaceous period - 1.7 billion according to a recent study
No place for us in that world. Raptor population would have been even larger. Thank goodness that asteroid put an end to them.

Quadriplegic man walks after neural implants.

With those accents I expected them to something like ' You don't frighten us you English pig dogs! Go and boil your bottoms! Son of a silly person!'

The Guardian has an article about it, too

'The device also appears to boost rehabilitation. After more than 40 training sessions with the implant, Oskam, who did not sever all the nerves in his spine, regained some control over his legs, even when the device was turned off. Courtine believes that reconnecting the brain and spine helps to regenerate spinal nerves, recovering some of the patient’s lost control.'

Many, many tears ago I worked in the Austin Spinal unit, a weird place to work. Then it was SciFi speculation that electronics could be used to regain cord function, 40 years later it is coming to be. Isn't science wonderful?

Last edited:

Using old technology for modern applications.

Reminds me of these: Yakhchāl - Wikipedia

300px-Yakhchal_of_Yazd_province.jpg

“Modern high dynamic range televisions create bright white regions that are over 10,000 times brighter than their darkest black, approaching the contrast levels of natural scenes,” Dr Troscianko added.

“How our eyes and brains can handle this contrast is a puzzle because tests show that the highest contrasts we humans can see at a single spatial scale is around 200:1.

“Even more confusingly, the neurones connecting our eyes to our brains can only handle contrasts of about 10:1.

but this TV can do contrast of 2 bazillion to 1 !!!! says a salesperson...;)

I enjoyed this doco about the 'Great Oxidation Event' (2.5 million years ago) in which it is framed as an extinction event (which it was) that ultimately led to the first 'Snowball earth' during the Huronian glaciation. It tells a good story, most of which is probably mostly true.

A article about the 5 leaps in animal cognition.

1. Coordination -the big initial challenge
2. Centralised nervous system ---> Brain
3. Feed back systems
4. Parallel processing
5. Reflexion - the self modifying brain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I happened upon this interesting article about somatic mutations in schizophrenia. A little background first. It's been long known that there is a significant genetic contribution to schizophrenia eg if both your parent have schizophrenia your chance of having schizophrenia is around 50%. However the patterns have never matched the usual transmission of recessive or dominant genes. The usual explanation is that there are multiple genes interacting making the transmission complex. This paper suggest somatic mutations may be the cause. Somatic mutations are those that happen after conception, most cancers are due to somatic mutations.

They found two genes, NRXN1 and ABCB11, correlate with schizophrenia and appear to have undergone a somatic mutation during development. Interestingly ABCB11 is a gene previously associated with treatment-resistant schizophrenia.

This is really exciting if true and may open up better understanding of schizophrenia. It's much like the situation with cancer, understanding the biology and genetics properly will lead to better therapies and hopefully cures in the near future.

Best trip I've had since 1969, man! Using visual data from the James Webb, you can take a trip back in time to Maisie’s Galaxy, which formed only 390 million years after the Big Bang, or about 13.4 billion years ago. Each second amounts to traveling 200 million light-years into the data set, and seeing 200 million years into the past. Note how the appearances of the galaxies change as you move back it time.

Last edited:
she's a beauty

i mean look at the fine webbing reinforcement against the walls..how the...there was no AI back then...must have been Aquatic Intelligence
Like much of nature, the 'Aquatic Intelligence' had a strange penchant for the Fibonacci sequence - it's seen everywhere. Examples and brief discussion here. Fibonacci Sequence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back