Random Random Thoughts Rebooted

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that i've never understood in this country is why don't we have pipelines maybe going to other places in aussie dams ?
Expensive and probably have to rip up some nature reserves which would never be allowed to fly

One thing that i've never understood in this country is why don't we have pipelines maybe going to other places in aussie dams ?
What 'other places' do you mean? Are you talking about when dams get full these pipelines should funnel the water to somewhere else...that sort of thing?

Yes , maybe to go south and west . I don't know what Milky is on about .
The 2 reasons why they don't pipe from say QLD to Vic are

1. It would be really expensive to do
2. Running pipe that far would probably mean having to dig up bush land which people would be up in arms about

Hope that is more clear :)

The 2 reasons why they don't pipe from say QLD to Vic are

1. It would be really expensive to do
2. Running pipe that far would probably mean having to dig up bush land which people would be up in arms about

Hope that is more clear :)
Disagree , plenty of land . Remember we have big electricity towers across suburbs and bush . Expense shouldn't be an issue as it would pay for itself . It could give life to the Murray / Murrumbidge catchments and with a bit of luck flood those foreign owned cotton farms etc .

Disagree , plenty of land . Remember we have big electricity towers across suburbs and bush . Expense shouldn't be an issue as it would pay for itself . It could give life to the Murray / Murrumbidge catchments and with a bit of luck flood those foreign owned cotton farms etc .
I think that if the dams are overflowing then there is flooding already in the river catchments.

These are natural flood plains, they are meant to 'overflow' during big rains. The more appropriate response would be not to build housing in these areas, like in the Nepean river area imo. Leave that land for agriculture. There's plenty of land around that isn't in the floodplain area to build housing.

You mean something like the Bradfield scheme that was proposed in the 1930s? That was rejected, partly because of how much it would cost, but also because it wasn't clear whether it would actually deliver the promised benefits. I think Pauline Hanson and Bob Katter are the only politicians who still support it...

Having said that, maybe some parts of it could be implemented, but then you have the potential for unintended consequences if you divert flood waters away from their natural paths. I used to work with someone who did some financial analysis of the scheme, and believe me, if I thought that there was a chance that it could work, I'd be the first to say so...

So I headed back into a classroom for the first time in 43 years at the beginning of Feb. After an enthralling visit to the stationers (they call it Office Works these days 🤓), I was super-well prepared… pencil, pens, notepad, Post-It Notes, eraser, sharpener, ruler, tape dispenser, stapler, highlighters, folders, dividers, even a jar of Perkins Paste!
I was on top of this… all set to make amends for my previous attempt at schooling where I sought to make up for my social disadvantage by being the class clown and disrupting at every opportunity regardless of how fearful the teacher was.
Thankfully, while taking the first-day-of-school ceremonial photos, my daughter handed me something called a MacBook Pro that she assured me would come in handy 😯
As is my way, I left home very early allowing for the standard Sydney traffic snarls but a major accident put me behind the eight-ball.
Stressed by an enforced career change, a challenging enrolment process, the standard fear of the unknown, aforementioned traffic jam and a 400m sprint from the car park in pouring rain, I burst thru the door of the classroom right on 9 only to be confronted by the biggest hurdle of all… the back row of seats was full… a veritable kaleidoscope of culture… WTF? Didn’t anybody explain to these people that the back row is for the naughty boys?
I slinked into a front row seat right under the teachers nose… this is gonna be a longgg day!

Alright… I’ve taken a few liberties here… I’m going a little stir crazy with this weather.

My studies are going well and I now regret not having done it much sooner. The course… Individual Support-Disability is truly eye-opening and I look forward to spending the twilight years of my working life doing what I can for people living with disability, not just individuals but for the cause.
Makes me wonder, and hopefully any educators here might be able to help, do we put enough emphasis on these awareness issues, for all marginalised groups, in our basic curriculum? It might be much more beneficial to society than spending several years studying algebra and trigonometry?
Anybody else working in the sector? Or personal experience?

Makes me wonder, and hopefully any educators here might be able to help, do we put enough emphasis on these awareness issues, for all marginalised groups, in our basic curriculum? It might be much more beneficial to society than spending several years studying algebra and trigonometry?
Anybody else working in the sector? Or personal experience?
Within the Victorian curriculum there is explicit teaching of personal and social capabilities. That being said, I don't know that many schools are teaching it well and a majority teach it incidentally. At year 3-4 under the banner of social awareness and management we look at similarities and differences in ability as well as basic concept around inclusion and the impact exclusion can have. At year 5-6 we look at scenarios and how you can demonstrate sensitivity to others as well as exploring concepts of stereotyping, discrimination and prejudice.

When taught well, this stuff is invaluable but at the same time, many of the children in this age band (8-12) are still very self-centric and struggle with the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others.

From the teaching and catering for those with a disability side of things, accountability as multiplied 10 fold in the last 5 years. Honestly, teaching the students is now around 50% of the job, while paperwork recording adjustments you plan to make and then have made would be close to 35% of the job. While catering for those with additional needs is extremely important, the amount of paperwork to justify what you are doing is out of control and is a lead reason why teachers walk away from the profession. The irony of it is, the increase in paperwork takes away from the time we have to actually plan and implement adjustments for these students. The agreement the Australian Education Union is encouraging teachers to accept gives teachers an extra couple of hours out of the classroom effectively to complete this paperwork, taking us away from what will actually help and that is teaching.

Ticky009 and anyone else in Sydney, hope you're doing alright in this crazy ass storm! Had to drive to the station and nearly got hit by lightening twice. Flash flooding on the roads, just got back home in the nick of time. Crazy weather last two weeks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ticky009 and anyone else in Sydney, hope you're doing alright in this crazy ass storm! Had to drive to the station and nearly got hit by lightening twice. Flash flooding on the roads, just got back home in the nick of time. Crazy weather last two weeks!
Be safe

I'm okay! 110mm at Bankstown but I'm on the 'high' side so provided the easement out back behaves its all running down hill.

Richard Freedman on TripleM’s deadset legends scoffing at the suggestion 5000 might invade yesty’s game if Buddy gets 5… “Will they get 5000 there?”
In case anybody missed it, yesterday was the biggest day in Sydney’s Horse Racing calendar, and much like the statistic on how many horses were euthanised in the process of providing a spectacle for people to gamble on at that event, no crowd figure is available.
F****** turd!

Richard Freedman on TripleM’s deadset legends scoffing at the suggestion 5000 might invade yesty’s game if Buddy gets 5… “Will they get 5000 there?”
In case anybody missed it, yesterday was the biggest day in Sydney’s Horse Racing calendar, and much like the statistic on how many horses were euthanised in the process of providing a spectacle for people to gamble on at that event, no crowd figure is available.
F****** turd!
What is it with the other sports in Sydney? This non-supportive cringe behaviour does Sydney no favours overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back