Apr 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
From best to worst.

1. Australian Open
2. Wimbledon
3. US Open
4. French Open

Not trying to be bias, I really do think we have the best slam.

Aus Open was also voted the players slam too I believe.

Wimbledon
French
Australian
US Open

I think we do a pretty awesome job and probably have the most well-run slam but you can't beat the aura and history at Wimbledon / Roland Garros

Wimbledon
French
Australian
US Open

I think we do a pretty awesome job and probably have the most well-run slam but you can't beat the aura and history at Wimbledon / Roland Garros

Agreed first two you can switch around, but we are 3rd, Wimbledon and French Opens have history

If you are asking my subjective opinion it is:
1.Wimbledon
2.AO
gap
3.US Open
4 Roland Garros

The objective reality however is quite clear based on history, elite status of winners roll, google hits, youtube hits and all other measurable stats and is
1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
gap
3. Roland Garros
4. AO.

1. Wimbledon
2. Australian
3. US
4. French

I think the players voted for enjoying the AO the most, but you can't beat the history and prestige of Wimbledon. Wimbledon is also the one I enjoy watching the most, those lush green courts are heavenly! :)

French is probably ahead of the US in reality but I can't stand clay :)

Do we have to have this discussion again? Far out,,,,,

Haha agreed. Even though I started the same thread 12 months ago ;)

But going by the last 12-24 months, all things considered, it would have to be:

1. Wimbledon
2. Australian Open
3. Roland Garros
4. US Open

Yep, I rank them very differently to last time I did this.

RG,
Wimbledon
AO
USO

USO has to be the worst.s**t scheduling and the weather is always terrible at time of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are asking my subjective opinion it is:
1.Wimbledon
2.AO
gap
3.US Open
4 Roland Garros

The objective reality however is quite clear based on history, elite status of winners roll, google hits, youtube hits and all other measurable stats and is
1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
gap
3. Roland Garros
4. AO.
Yeah, this. Australians severely underrate the esteem the US Open is held in globally. Has an enormous amount of history and prestige, not just amongst Americans.

The AO is a fun tournament, and close to my personal favourite, but it is the poor cousin of the other three slams.

Yeah, this. Australians severely underrate the esteem the US Open is held in globally. Has an enormous amount of history and prestige, not just amongst Americans.

The AO is a fun tournament, and close to my personal favourite, but it is the poor cousin of the other three slams.

I disagree. The grand slam with the prestige is Wimbledon.

The other three are basically close to equal - the US probably slightly ahead because of the $ and sponsorship exposure.

The Australian is the players favourite.

Like I said, that is the view of Australians. But the other two - the USO in particular - have a big slab of history which do give them a lot of prestige.

The AO was a nothing tournament up until very recently. A slam is a slam, but I doubt you would find many non-Australians who would rank the AO as anything other than the fourth most glamorous title.

I read that for the second year in a row, the AO will offer the most prize money of all the slams this year. So the AO is really making leaps and bounds and will increase its profile when the redevelopment of the facilities is finished. But still, it's Wimbledon.

Ask non tennis fans on the street to name one tennis tournament. I'd be very surprised if the majority did not say Wimbledon.

History & prestige:

Wimbledon - the location, the event, the whole shebang). The French edges out the US for #2 more due to the mystic of Roland Garos, although I reckon hardcourt allows the US to be more competitive as an event. The Oz is fourth historically simply due to its world location - made it difficult for overseas top players to get here; the event at Melbourne Park is still relatively new in comparison to the others; and time zone affects current world-wide viewer numbers.

At the end of the day, a win in any of them elevates a player to Grand Slam Champion.

Didn't know where else to ask this question in the tennis forum. I was reading that when Rod Laver won his first slam in 1962, he also won the German Open and the Italian Open, giving him six open titles that year. I was wondering whether anyone knows the record for the most national opens won in a particular year?

Just because we in Australia (tiny country) don't play on clay - that makes us a bit weird in the tennis world. Clay is huge throughout Europe and South america. There is quite a bit in the US as well.
The French Open is only just behind Wimbledon - Wimbledon is No 1 because it is English - and English events still tend to be rated very highly for prestige.

The US Open is very big, and the Australian Open is clearly No 4. Don't you remember what it was like in the 70s and 80s when we would get perhaps 3 of the top 20 in the world turning up?

The US Open is very big, and the Australian Open is clearly No 4. Don't you remember what it was like in the 70s and 80s when we would get perhaps 3 of the top 20 in the world turning up?

But we are not talking about the 70s and 80s. We are talking about 2012. Things change over time and the Australian Open has come a hell of a long way since then.

This thread is like a dog chasing its tail. What is the obsession with "ranking the slams"? They are all of equal worth on the rankings point, and yes some may have more "history" and "prestige" than others, but it doesn't devalue the worth of the Aussie. Its still been going since 1905 (only yesterday I guess), breaks the attendence record virtually every year and is incredibly well run.

I'm pretty sure the French invented tennis in its original form, so that means RG is better than Wimby:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back