Rapists walk free

Remove this Banner Ad

spike101

All Australian
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rapists walk free WTF Bloomfield and Merryfull walk free despite being foun guilty twice?

Two men twice convicted of raping and sexually assaulting a woman at a party in regional Victoria seven years ago have been spared further prison time, and will instead serve community corrections orders.

Following a retrial last year, Shaun Bloomfield, of Horsham, and Luke Merryfull, of Geelong, both 28, were sentenced for the rape today in the Melbourne County Court.

Merryfull will serve a two-year community corrections order (CCO) with 200 hours of unpaid work, and Bloomfield a three-year CCO with 300 hours of unpaid work.

The men raped a young woman in a caravan at a party near Balmoral, south of Horsham in western Victoria, in April 2016.

The pair's initial convictions were overturned on appeal after a witness came forward with new evidence the day after the men were jailed in April 2019.

Bloomfield and Merryfull each spent 522 days in prison before the Court of Appeal overturned their convictions in September 2020.

The case then went to several retrials before the men were convicted for the second time in August last year, after pleading not guilty to the charges against them.

In sentencing, Judge David Brookes noted it had been more than seven years since the incident for which the men had been twice found guilty.

Two subsequent retrial attempts failed in 2022 — one in Ballarat was abandoned due to COVID-19, and a second in Bendigo was abandoned after a juror conducted their own research on the case.

A third retrial in Melbourne successfully reached a verdict in August last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

What could be “exceptional circumstances “?

Sorry for butting in but I think it might be that they've spent nearly two years in jail already and on bail for several more. They still have two years of a community order to serve.

They're also probably by now, flat broke.

“Ordinary members of the community would not necessarily expect a further term of imprisonment be imposed “; why bother re trialling them if his mid was made up already. I am an ordinary member of the community and I would expect a further term of imprisonment. Appeal.

It really pisses me off that people get off because of "good character". If they're raping someone, they're clearly not of good character. They're pieces of s**t.

For mine rape is comparable with murder, and with intent because that’s exactly what was intended, the victim doesn’t just “get over it”.

Rape is a form of power for these degenerates, that’s all rape is when you break it down, having power over someone who can’t defend themselves.

Let the pigs rot.

It seems now that a juror who conducts their own research can effectively ruin a trial whether it be Higgins or this trial. There mst be a way to stop this eg in the Lehrmann/Higgins case why weren’t the jurors searched effectively and efficiently ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems now that a juror who conducts their own research can effectively ruin a trial whether it be Higgins or this trial. There mst be a way to stop this eg in the Lehrmann/Higgins case why weren’t the jurors searched effectively and efficiently ?

This wouldn't have stopped them doing their own research, just might have stopped them bringing their printouts in to the jury room.

I believe someone mentioned else that (I think) SA has a majority verdict, not a unanimous one, so it might not necessarily throw out the entire trial and possibility of conviction under that system?

The free and easy access to the internet for people to search people's names and hunt through social media means this is going to be an ongoing problem.

It really pisses me off that people get off because of "good character". If they're raping someone, they're clearly not of good character. They're pieces of s**t.
What amazes me about this good character reference is that lots of offenders are good characters after the fact. It’s common for death row inmates to find god after they realise they aren’t getting out and will die.

More importantly, what about their character before the fact? When committing the crimes they obviously thought that offending was something they could do and get away with. Of course they’ll improve because they’re incarcerated. If you want to improve yourself, great, but you shouldn’t be given lesser sentences. Your crime still counts.

Rape isn’t something you get over. Couldn’t give a rats toss bag if they’ve served 2 years. that’s way unders. As for good character, if you’re capable of that you’re an irredeemable sh*tstain.
2 years for rape is nothing. Should be minimum 10. The victim isn’t getting over it in 2 years.

You would be surprised how a character reference from someone high up can go a long way to help the perpetrator get a lighter sentence or even off the charge.

How does one come to anything even close to "good character" from that distressing account?
Baffles me.

They essentially trap her in a position whereby she can’t escape, one rapes her then says ‘your turn, mate’. They were all supposed to be friends. Unbelievable.

Whilst I genuinely feel people can reform, I don’t believe that a two year period is acceptable. Minimum 10 years and be on a sex offenders register for a long time afterwards. And if there isn’t enough prison space, build more space or move then interstate where there might be.

There’s literally eons of land in the desert for another prison.

You would be surprised how a character reference from someone high up can go a long way to help the perpetrator get a lighter sentence or even off the charge.
This judge has shown there’s a large amount of disconnect between how he thinks the offenders might eventuate into, and the obvious psychological trauma the victim still deals with.

‘Her view of the world and trust of people will always be affected’

Seems like the words ‘always’ implies a life sentence yet the perpetrators have ‘prospects’ and have been released.

I sincerely hope these dogs struggle for the rest of their lives. Work, finances, relationships. * em.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back