Preview Rd 11 Geelong V GWS Sat 25th May 2024 434 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as most of us all want to play - Mannagh, Hardie, Humphries... And be good to see Jack Henry or Guthrie be omitted..
The chances of all this happening, is slim...
It be all the common changes in, and all commonchangesout.... which is unfortunate

Last edited:
I'd like to see Mullin in the centre, and given some reasonable TOG there, from the opening bounce.
We have enough defensive minded midfielders, Atkins etc, if you put him in don't waste him tagging, have him play as a "see ball get ball" midfielder.

We have enough defensive minded midfielders, Atkins etc, if you put him in don't waste him tagging, have him play as a "see ball get ball" midfielder.

Exactly what I was thinking.

He has the body, speed, composure and ball skill to extract and distribute it effectively.

l wonder if Rohan would have the ability and aptitude to play tight defensive role on Whitfield
If we can halt run from defensive half we will be in a good position to win

And play Tommy on Toby

Exactly what I was thinking.

He has the body, speed, composure and ball skill to extract and distribute it effectively.
Especially since right now the midfields that are tearing it up have a player who can get the ball, burst away at speed and get a quality f50 entry.

If Dangerfield was 25 he would win the next 3 Brownlows with the 6/6/6 rule.

Touhy Guthrie Parfitt Duncan will all play and all potential passengers.
Hawkins’ milestone irrelevant though. The club will pick them because they think they’re the best options to win the game.

When would be the last time we lost 4 in a row at KP to the same side?

Sydney maxxed out at 3 in a row from memory.

Maybe the Lions is the early 00s?
Dawgs had a great run at K.P against us in the early 00's....actually checking AFL tables, we lost 5 in a row at our home ground from 1998-2003. Won in June 1996, drought broken with a win finally in May 2005! The Dogs also won that late season game at K.P in '95 when Ablett did his hammy early and Leigh Colbert turned Daniel Hargreaves into the new Wayne Carey for a day. That spell by the Dogs just about tripled their win tally at K.P in their history. Ted Whitten only played a single draw in Geelong for his long career. But we often struggled at the Western Oval too.

I think you're correct. We lost 5 in a row to the lions at KP in the late 90s to early 2000s.
You are, we couldn't beat those Lions in a blue fit in that era, even losing by almost 10 goals in '98 when they finished bottom! A draw in 1996, five defeats in a row before the 'Only Lappin' Gaz Jr goal inspired 2004 win, which was a bit of a moment of belief for some of the young Cats then.

Gotta say, under Ayers and in early Bomber, we weren't much chop at K.P for a period of time!

lol. If Conway can’t back up from 1 game he has no hope. Why would it even be an option to manage him

Because they havent played him in a row twice this year in afl and he often misses vfl games to be managed.

This shows we have been smashed in a number areas.
We are a fair way off being a premiership contender.
The sooner the discussion about premiership contention ceases the better.
We need to win a game. But we have issues that are not remediable this season.
There are multiple teams with more overall reasons to be in contention than us, and making top 8 would be a bonus this year.

I don't have a problem with Art not rating Parfitt as a player. We all have our opinions on players. It's the endless putting him down that gets to me, including at the end of last year more or less saying he should have been run out of the club, even though he had a year left on his contract.

Thank god the powers that be at the club don't think that way. It would be an easy way to kill off team spirit.

He's a popular player and plays a role in mentoring the other indigenous kids. I'm sure the club rate him very highly, even if they're also aware of his shortcomings as a player (as he probably is too).

I dont think anyone is saying parfitt should be run out of the club. We are saying hes a depth player who should be signed for 1 year to mentor our young kids but not play many games unless we get injuries. Thats what a non best 22 player is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are multiple teams with more overall reasons to be in contention than us, and making top 8 would be a bonus this year.

Every top 8 team has multiple issues this year
Look at gws.

Every top 8 team has multiple issues this year
Look at gws.
Maybe.
I don't see that (multiple issues)with Swans, Port, Carlton, Pies, Lions, Demons, GWS, even Dogs, Freo, and I can't comment on Bombers.
I get that we have more wins at present, but honestly believe that advantage will continue to erode- time will tell. It's just where we are at this stage.
We have rarely seen before what happens when our season finishes early, without a final, and we could rest up and get the list fresh as, but now that reality sets in, and the season continues, we are simply not able to sustain that momentum, mainly due to age and list quality.

That does not mean we will finish below those teams necessarily, but it is possible. We are again an 8-12 type team- top 8 def possible, as is just outside the 8, but who knows and why prognosticate weekly.

Maybe.
I don't see that (multiple issues)with Swans, Port, Carlton, Pies, Lions, Demons, GWS, even Dogs, Freo, and I can't comment on Bombers.
I get that we have more wins at present, but honestly believe that advantage will continue to erode- time will tell. It's just where we are at this stage.
We have rarely seen before what happens when our season finishes early, without a final, and we could rest up and get the list fresh as, but now that reality sets in, and the season continues, we are simply not able to sustain that momentum, mainly due to age and list quality.

That does not mean we will finish below those teams necessarily, but it is possible. We are again an 8-12 type team- top 8 def possible, as is just outside the 8, but who knows and why prognosticate weekly.

The bolded definitely have multiple issues and have shown that throughout the season to date

Right now, Sydney is the only team that's looking solid with their form, but even they lost to Richmond in their only win to date this season - they're 2 from 3 at the MCG this season, but with no further games at that venue across the H&A season, it's likely question marks will remain over their ability to perform at that venue, especially when under pressure of finals

Some good points, I'd bring Mullin back in and play Holmes in the midfield though.

We need a circuit breaker in there, and this guy could be an AA mid by next year. He's that good.

You could argue similar with Clark, but unlike Holmes, he's not impacting results right now to a best 22 standard. Holmes is, and could genuinely be leading our B&F.

Rotating Mullin & Holmes as midfielders/half backs both helps us right now, and will pay dividends as soon as next year for mine.
+1 vote for Mullin full game time please

Holmes into the middle for sure.

He is the only guy with half a chance of breaking away and getting clear on the outside as a mid.

Atkins, Parf, Blitz, Bruhn, Clark... all lack speed and are inside players.

The middle mix is terrible without Danger or an in-form Guthrie who both are inside/outside threats.

The way our middle is looking, surely Holmes is destined to be a mid and not a half back going forward.

Get him in the guts.

I'm not saying that fixes all our issues... but it creates a better mix.

Surely we are ready for GWS this time around…..3-7 Giants came to town last year and ended us.
Lose this and most likely we won’t make top 4 ….. yes this is big. Finish off a competitor at home!
Hawkins , Ollie and Rohan up front against their defense looks a worry….

Top 8 is almost a certainty from where we are currently. Even top 4 would probably be a better than 50/50 chance from here.

Forecasting who will win the premiership is difficult because there's so much chance/luck involved. Yes, we have issues that need to be resolved, and quickly. But other than Sydney (who seem a step above everyone else as it currently stands), so does everyone else.

Surely we are ready for GWS this time around…..3-7 Giants came to town last year and ended us.
Lose this and most likely we won’t make top 4 ….. yes this is big. Finish off a competitor at home!
Hawkins , Ollie and Rohan up front against their defense looks a worry….
Has Cameron been ruled out??

Think you're being particularly harsh on Mitch Duncan.
it's odd that people haven't put together that Geelong play badly when Duncan is a) playing well below his usual level or b) missing altogether. Boy are they quick to jump on him when he falters, but when normal business resumes there are crickets.

Dropping him would be tantamount to forfeiting the season. We have no other distributor from half back at his level. Someone like Mullin or Humprhies should replace Tuohy, not Duncan. Stewart has not looked at all when Duncan has not been rolling at a high level. Our defence for all of 2023 struggled on transitions without him (he spent the whole season on the wing; ill fitted at his age for a role requiring agility).

I wonder whether people are going to cotton on to this at any stage.

The first part about impact being subjective I agree with, to a degree. But you can clearly measure impact to a degree with various stats.

But I almost have the exact opposite view on the second point. The fact that Blicavs has spent time in the ruck is exactly the reason why he's been so valuable to us over those previous years. I'd err on giving him MORE time as a ruck while playing Conway (who can't run out as much of the game compared to Stanley).
Blicavs was never a huge disposal winner but wasincredibly effective with every little touch he added with and without the ball. This season, and the second half of 2023 that hasn't been the case. We have felt the difference. I'm not having a crack at Blicavs at all but he is closer to a C grader than the A grader he was in 2022, now. However I see him as a really useful option as a wingman who chops out Conway in the ruck. I feel his inside midfielder days are close to done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back