Autopsy Rd 14 Blues go home at half time

Who played well against the Pies today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m actually thinking we need to be proactively finding a suitor for him because I suspect his value is going to plummet by the end of next season, and we are already stacked for inside midfielders as it is.

It’s already plummeted. I reckon Richmond will come sniffing around with a second or third rounder, but that’d be about it. Better off holding onto him and hoping he comes good.

It’s already plummeted. I reckon Richmond will come sniffing around with a second or third rounder, but that’d be about it. Better off holding onto him and hoping he comes good.

If it was an early second I’d consider it in all honesty - not that the Tigers have one.

There’s only so many more years he can continue to disappoint, and his opportunities are going to vanish next year with Kemp into the team.

We already have too many inside midfielders running round our best 22 as it as, and Kennedy and Stocker aren’t playing either.

Give him the next four weeks, see if there’s absolutely anything to work with, otherwise we may as well move him on before we really shoot ourselves in the foot.

Fisher did some things that were simply WOW.. footy IQ poise and ability to sidestep and wrong foot players as well as he’s lightning hands is brilliant also..

I was just wrapped to see him try his right foot, it shows that people at the club have told him its a must and that Fish is now more confident to do it. He’s been very good.

My 2c worth.

I watch the game with no sound from commentators or looking at players stats.

So basically I watch what the players do with the ball and without which is difficult just on a TV screen. The first half, I thought was fairly even, Pies had more shots on goal which was a worry and we kicked straight but lacked authority going forward, in other words we worked harder for our goals whereas they were hitting up their targets.

Second half their main focus was pressure around the ball, we dominated for 12-15 minutes but couldn't score, we used up a hell of a lot of energy for no scoreboard pressure. Nek minute down there end and goal.

Last qtr, they were just too good and their cream rose to the top. Pendlebury is just super in close and one of the most damaging users. We had too many do too little.

Dow, baptism of fire against a very strong midfield, coming off lunchtime scratch matches. Polsen impressed me for the first time yesterday, must play out the season.

Pity the only guy to match Stephenson's speed is Cottrell, he should have played and been given a chance on him to learn how and when to lead at the ball.

There were stages of that game where I didn't know if Levi, Harry or TDK were playing. If Gibbons isn't going to get midfield minutes he is being wasted. in fact he, Fisher, and Levi should have had a run on the ball when they went quiet.

Our forward entries were pathetic at times as we kept kicking it to Darcy Moore.

I feel we have handled our rotations rather poorly and we should have been playing LOB, Dow, Polsen and others more regularly due to there only being Mickey mouse scratch matches.
Sound down, like it... I’m going to try that out when i watch the game replay again...

Plowman’s right arm made contact with his face, that’s what I’d imagine the umpires decision was for..

Ump is heard clearly telling Plowman that he took his eyes off the ball and just jumped in to the player. There was only one player going for the ball in that contest, one of the footy shows called him out on it to as being a moment he would want back, it was Jonathen Brown.

Some players just never look comfortable at AFL level, and Dow might be one of those guys. The AFL is littered with examples of former top picks who through injury and/or circumstance never permit them to replicate their junior form. As good as the draft is by allowing you access to the best young players, you’ll never be able to properly model their success at the top level.

Young players these days are also subjected to the vagaries of 360 degrees of feedback via social media. Zak Butters recently screenshot a whole heap of abuse directed at him over by some degenerate on Instagram, and he’s a young star! Imagine being a fringe player for a rebuilding team three years after being taken Pick 3. No doubt he’d have copped as bad and on a more consistent basis if the comments on Facebook pages are any indication of the content of some people’s minds. That sort of rubbish gets built into your psyche.

It’s probably a bit OTT, but I’m almost starting to feel bad for the guy.

I was just wrapped to see him try his right foot, it shows that people at the club have told him its a must and that Fish is now more confident to do it. He’s been very good.
Great to see him on the opposite development on that will improve his game, his a very clever player looks fitter stronger and has some unique skills..
He’s a little ripper...

Ump is heard clearly telling Plowman that he took his eyes off the ball and just jumped in to the player. There was only one player going for the ball in that contest, one of the footy shows called him out on it to as being a moment he would want back, it was Jonathen Brown.
Ok haven’t heard that, angle I’ve seen his arm struck him in the face in his attempt in the contest... i agree the way you attack the contest you go hard as you can, he really should have gone straight at him for a chest mark..

He was pumped as he left a historic finish. Not infront of an interview, he was in the lockerroom with the team. Jeez, if you can't get emotional as the skippa then, when can you? We even got the room for the song wrong...
Beating Gold Coast in Darwin? Historic?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

At least JOR had a long sordid injury history as mitigation.

Dow’s been relatively injury-free, but doesn’t look anywhere near it.

I’m actually thinking we need to be proactively finding a suitor for him because I suspect his value is going to plummet by the end of next season, and we are already stacked for inside midfielders as it is.
This is not accurate. He was managing something a lot of preseason. And he hurt his knee and was unable to train for a lot of the period of shutdown.

My views supported the loss?

You can win 15 games in a normal season without 3 in a row, absorb that for a moment. Pies are in the 8 without winning 3 in a row. You could play the bottom 4 sides in a row and win, or top 4 and lose all of them, so please stop with this being a measure of growth or success

What about you picking the Dogs and Cats? What does that support? A defeated attitude?

This is about your expectations, nothing more and when they don't align you want someone else to blame

We are a mid table side, nothing more, nothing less, that's the reality no matter what you think should happen

Agree we are mid table no doubt.

Question is what are we going to do to become more?

Do we go all out during fa and trade period?
I think we'll be pushing for finals next year, how far we go though depends on the following imo:

- Get Zac Williams
- Go hard after the best mid we can. Two 1st rounders to deal with. Lions did it for Neale, Pies did it for Treloar. Kelly, Petracca, Yeo etc.. however unlikely the target is, if we feel that we need him let's try and go for him and see what happens.
- Use 2nd and later round picks to bring in players that'll improve the side. Ryan, Perryman, Hewett, Petrucelle...

Reckon we've already hit the draft hard enough, anyone we draft this year and beyond will take minimum 3, likely 4 or 5 years to start cementing their place. By then, we won't be getting the same output from Cripps, Doc and others around their age bracket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Plowman had that moment back, I would hope Stephenson would be going off on a stretcher.

Warning TLDR

I still believe you need to embrace all areas. This FA/trade/draft off season will the most critical period for list management the club has faced in this rebuild

Firstly, what I believe our real needs are, now/short term to medium term, which is mostly to do with characteristics, rather than position as a whole

Charateristics
  • Foot skills/Finisher, number one priority
  • As above but with SPEED/AGILITY. Only time I would consider someone that doesn't have speed, they must be able to find the pill and MUST be clean and above average/elite by foot. (It's why I wanted Cerra over Dow)
Position:
  • Balanced mid with above characteristics
  • Foot skills/speed all over the park
  • Small/Mid defender
  • Goal sense
  • KPD 20-23 years old to take over from Jones, if the club deems Macreadie won't come on and or continues to suffer injuries
  • Ruckman/Forward, at any level under 26 years old

Free Agents:
  • Williams should be our main target, plays in every arc, has speed and above average foot skills, a priority in terms of needs.
  • Viney, while not being a priority and goes somewhat against what I believe we need, he does have characteristics we lack, but as long as you surround him with burst, he will do well in helping us go to the next level
  • Not much that interests me after that
Trades: Shake the tree and see what falls out
  • Papley will be one of our main targets, who adds speed, pressure and goal sense, but I wouldn't speed more than a total value of a pick in the 7-10 range, that doesn't mean 2 x 1st with a 2nd coming back either
  • Kelly, who will also be a main target, but is not the finisher that most people think he is, despite his ball winning ability. Not worth 2 x 1st either
  • OOC - Countless options this year, Hewett, Petruccelle, Ryan, Lonie, M Lynch, Parfitt, Narkle, Perryman, Caldwell, Spargo, Markov, etc
1 Year Out Of FA/OOC Players
  • Billings, unlikely but ask the question
  • Laird, Crows will look to off load value to rebuild
  • Merret, also unlikely
  • Salem, who knows
  • Parker, while not great by foot, everyone knows his value to a side
  • Bont, would never happen
  • OOC, to many to mention
Draft: We have seen that some draftees hit the ground running and have a great impact in their first year, whether that's a Walsh, Butters, Duursma, etc. Then the mature age guys, Ryan, Rioli, Wilkie, too many to mention

While the likes of Neale, Cameron have made Lions stronger, so too have the the cheaper options, McCarthy and draftees, Starcevich. Same can be said for the Saints, Hill, Jones (who has had a better year than Hill, at considerable less cost), cheaper options in Butler, Kent, Wilkie

You still need a balanced approach/strategy

I am very excited about last year's draftees, they have many of the qualities we lack, add to that the likes of Stocker, LOB who also have traits we need. As for the likes of SPS, Fisher, Cuners, etc, I till believe they will continue to improve, but it is uncertain what level they will reach

Excited to see how the next 12 months unfold

Well presented and I don't disagree with much.

Viney I don't think "fits" and Parker is too close to the finish line. We probably disagree on how much is reasonable to pay for a Papley or Kelly but that is splitting hairs.

I've been thinking about your "mid-table" expectations versus Windhover's "make finals" expectations. There are so many variables leading up to and within a season, but my opinion is the following have been the major determining factors:

Our best medium defender pre-knee was Doc. Our best midfielder is obviously Cripps. Our best forward on potential but also demonstrated output when fit, is Charlie. Our best ruckman leading in to the season was Kreuzer.

Charlie has not played at all obviously. Even 2 or 3 Bulldogs-type (2019) games would have given us an extra win or 2.

Kreuzer played about a quarter. He is the forgotten man. Heart and soul player that the others feed off. Statistically not brilliant, but is just predictable to his mids - bustles the ball forward, takes bodies out and creates momentum for the likes of Cripps to know where to be. Pittonet is like a lot of ruckmen - he can do the job for 2 or 3 games but can't maintain it. Handy back-up option. TDK will be special but is nowhere near it yet for game after game output.

Doc started well and we probably expected too much over the full season. He is well short of the player he was in 2017, and we all hope will be again in 2021. I know we didn't have him last year, but he is a more fumbly, poor kicking version of the Doc we expected (particularly after what he showed in his first month back).

Cripps has carried us since the rebuild started. We all expected similar output this year. We all know he is not right, whether it is all physical or partly related to his girl back in Melbourne doesn't matter. The reality is he is not winning games for us like against Brisbane last year.

SO, we have totally lost our best forward and best ruck. AND we have had dramatically less output from our best mid (and player), and our best general defender.

How many teams would expect to go from bottom 3 to finals with this happening? We have actually done pretty well to still be a fighting chance.

Last edited:
Stamos, you are starting to reach some really poor lows

Firstly, claiming Doc was on the take, now wishing players injured?

Doc's performance was inexplicable.

And our team is soft. That was the biggest, most important game that most of our team has played in, and the Pies waltzed around with all the time in the world, because they knew we wouldn't hit them.

When you're going for a ball in the marking contest, and an opposition player is coming in from the front, you have to make them earn it. The only time in the whole game we made one of them earn it was Cripps bumping into Mayne, completely by accident.

Doc's performance was inexplicable.

And our team is soft. That was the biggest, most important game that most of our team has played in, and the Pies waltzed around with all the time in the world, because they knew we wouldn't hit them.

When you're going for a ball in the marking contest, and an opposition player is coming in from the front, you have to make them earn it. The only time in the whole game we made one of them earn it was Cripps bumping into Mayne, completely by accident.

You need to take a big step back mate

Season doesn't hinge on one home and away game

As for your corruption claims of Doc, and wanting any player going off on a stretcher, they are bay 13 type comments. Pull your head in

Last edited:
You need to take a big step back mate

Season doesn't hinge on one home and away season

As for your corruption claims of Doc, and wanting any player going off on a stretcher, they are bay 13 type comments. Pull your head in

I assume you meant 1 game, not season? But it's not one. It's pathetic performances against Melbourne, St Kilda, Hawthorn, and now the Pies. We fail time after time when the opportunity to go ahead has been there.

And as for Docherty, explain how how he could choose to kick the wrong way?
He's a professional footballer given the role of Captain. Even with the cuts, our football department costs more than $6 million. How can you * up something so very basic? Surely that money can cover 30 seconds pre-game to ensure that we give ourselves every opportunity at advantage, rather than gifting the opposition and advantage?
And Doc followed it up with a dribble along the ground straight to them to gift them their first goal.
Him betting on the Filth is just as plausible as any other explanation because it makes no ******* sense.

I assume you meant 1 game, not season? But it's not one. It's pathetic performances against Melbourne, St Kilda, Hawthorn, and now the Pies. We fail time after time when the opportunity to go ahead has been there.

And as for Docherty, explain how how he could choose to kick the wrong way?
He's a professional footballer given the role of Captain. Even with the cuts, our football department costs more than $6 million. How can you fu** up something so very basic? Surely that money can cover 30 seconds pre-game to ensure that we give ourselves every opportunity at advantage, rather than gifting the opposition and advantage?
And Doc followed it up with a dribble along the ground straight to them to gift them their first goal.
Him betting on the Filth is just as plausible as any other explanation because it makes no ******* sense.
I think your trying to bait people, you really couldn't mean what you've been posting.

Back