Autopsy Rd 3 Sydney v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam McClure that human porky pig did a match report on our game yesterday, filled with the standard s**t you would expect, including calling it a "gritty" win, a game that fans won't be wanting to watch the replay of, and an "unfortunately" as he writes that North couldn't catch up.

Sam McClure that human porky pig did a match report on our game yesterday, filled with the standard sh*t you would expect, including calling it a "gritty" win, a game that fans won't be wanting to watch the replay of, and an "unfortunately" as he writes that North couldn't catch up.
Well he's wrong, I've watched the replay twice!

I’d like to see Hayward brought into the action more as a winger. He’s got great skills but needs more volume to have an impact and get some more confidence up.
dumbfounded over calls for Florent to dropped? He’s a few cleaner kicks want from being elite.
COR is going a good job defending, that’s his job first and foremost If you don’t notice him much it’s a good thing.

This is exactly it. Every error a defender makes will rightly be scrutinised as it has a huge chance of leading to a goal. As the saying goes, a forward needs to get lucky once to snap a goal, a defender needs to get lucky every time to prevent it. If a defender is doing a good job they shouldn't be recognised as much as say, a forward playing well who would be expected to score.
I've watched back the game and although COR might not get the fantasy points or plaudits for doing the amazing runs off the shoulder and whatnot, I noticed a pretty impressive stat...the player he was marking touched the ball 7 times....5 of these times COR wasnt even on the field. He kept his marker to 2 touches of the footy throughout the game! Christ almighty that is huge in my eyes and what I want to see from my defenders!

I understand people here want to see more from him because I think we know he is capable of being a real influential running player but if a defender doesn't touch the ball but also stops his marker from having any impact on the game, is that not still a job well done?

Great win all the same and also great to see so many players bounce back froma. Disappointing game the week before, huge mental strength to do that! Bring on the next game!

This is exactly it. Every error a defender makes will rightly be scrutinised as it has a huge chance of leading to a goal. As the saying goes, a forward needs to get lucky once to snap a goal, a defender needs to get lucky every time to prevent it. If a defender is doing a good job they shouldn't be recognised as much as say, a forward playing well who would be expected to score.
I've watched back the game and although COR might not get the fantasy points or plaudits for doing the amazing runs off the shoulder and whatnot, I noticed a pretty impressive stat...the player he was marking touched the ball 7 times....5 of these times COR wasnt even on the field. He kept his marker to 2 touches of the footy throughout the game! Christ almighty that is huge in my eyes and what I want to see from my defenders!

I understand people here want to see more from him because I think we know he is capable of being a real influential running player but if a defender doesn't touch the ball but also stops his marker from having any impact on the game, is that not still a job well done?

Great win all the same and also great to see so many players bounce back froma. Disappointing game the week before, huge mental strength to do that! Bring on the next game!
Out of pure curiosity, who did he play against.
I'm also in the camp of, if a back man is not noticed, he's probably done a good job(just look at the reaction to Mills getting caught)

I’ll put my hand up and say I got my pre game assessment of Sinclair, Heeney/Parker forward and Heywoods output wrong. Maybe they read my post! 😆

Huge wrap for Rowy, Paps, Mills, Rampie.

Is Heeney the new Brent ‘Tiger’ Crosswell? As good in the air, just as fast, just as balanced, ...maybe not quite as feisty....

Last edited:
Colin O'Riordan contributed -14 metres gained for the match :rolleyes:

Heeney rebounded well after last week, and Kennedy was a gun. I really like McLean's application

I have no idea what Hayward is contributing at the moment

Hayward, 1 goal. McCartin, 1 behind. Ten disposals between them. Pressure acts plenty. But they both need to lift. I would bring in Gould to replace O'Riordan. I like Colin but yesterday he got lost in the sunlight somewhere. Many of our blokes had low stats. Nine plyers had less than 10 disposals. Hewee only had 11. Same with Aliir and Cunningham. Gray had 13 which I'm shocked about because I hardly noticed him. Due to the shorter quarters the new norm in the mids is about 15-20 disposals. I noticed Taylor more yet he had only 5 disposals. So let's not judge the players on what their averages are as they are never going to achieve that.

But I do agree we need to get more out of Wil. He has the capacity to be a match winner and needs to start producing that.

Hayward, 1 goal. McCartin, 1 behind. Ten disposals between them. Pressure acts plenty. But they both need to lift. I would bring in Gould to replace O'Riordan. I like Colin but yesterday he got lost in the sunlight somewhere. Many of our blokes had low stats. Nine plyers had less than 10 disposals. Hewee only had 11. Same with Aliir and Cunningham. Gray had 13 which I'm shocked about because I hardly noticed him. Due to the shorter quarters the new norm in the mids is about 15-20 disposals. I noticed Taylor more yet he had only 5 disposals. So let's not judge the players on what their averages are as they are never going to achieve that.

But I do agree we need to get more out of Wil. He has the capacity to be a match winner and needs to start producing that.
TBF, I notice Taylor more because when he goes near the ball I hope it goes somewhere else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed Gray and I thought he did OK considering he was working in traffic most of the time the ball came near him. He was able to turn some potential Norths possessions into at least a 50/50 with some pressure acts.

We had a small forward line and the ball was still coming into players like Papley, who was double marked at times, and expecting him to mark it like he's 6 foot 5. It was hard work crumbing in our forward line.

I think Gray had quite a few little handballs plus two marks from wayward north kicks. Very little metres gained, whereas Taylor does run and carry more.

From the worst most biased article written on the game by Sam McLure;

And more shite from Jake Niall the Age Head Footy Writer;

To the best written by unknown AAP writer in the Guardian;

The AAP article is a Saturday round up of matches so not just Swans. But there is a total difference in the reporting. A total lack of bias. The reporting in the Age/Sydney Morning Herald is a disgrace and so Melbourne team biased. We played very well. The game was a good spectacle and yet McLure says it was only just bearable. He must have been watching the wrong game. The Bullies maybe? That game was unbearable. It was one of the worst games I have ever seen.

On to Swans. We were good. It was a total team effort. Blakey even got the match ups right in the backs and freed Dawson up a bit. In the end Rhyce sent Pittard to him as a defensive forward. That really worked didn't it. It is easy and the game comes together when the match ups are right. Our mids were sensational. This midfield group are good, very good. Paddlebum, Florent, Gray, Harry are giving us something different this year. Direct footy, run and carry and good disposal. Punts can knock Ollie's disposal all he likes the kid shot off a couple of blinders on the weekend.

McLean was good and he competed well in the ruck and forward. He is huge in the shoulders and arms so is not going to be easily pushed out of the contest. Fox played a blinder. He was sensational as that link up attacking defender. His delivery was extremely good. Him, Dawson and Lloyd all delivered so well. This is so helpful to players further up the ground. That reminds me, the inclusion of Fox does free Lloydy to go up the ground more often and sometimes play on a wing. We did it last week too but Lloydy had to go back because of team balance. Whereas with Fox in the team that is not necessary. It also gives us flexibility to move Lloydy, Dawson and Fox about from HB to wing etc.

All in all a very good win. Next week blood gould for O'Riordan.

the pair of them are just treading water atm, although tbf Taylor was one of our best against the bummers. We are still waiting for Sam Gray's breakout game in red and white, but its coming.
Jury is still out on COR too. The defense as a whole was pretty good after quarter time, which might be enough reason for him to keep his spot. But he'd want to show a bit more next week.

Doesn't matter who it is. A pure tap ruckman who does sh*t all around the ground should be dominating by 10-15+ ho's a game otherwise we're a man down, what's the point.
That hip & shoulder he landed was brilliant
Yes. But there was another contest late when north were on a run and the north player just bounced off him and scored a goal. Fox should have nailed the tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back