Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Whose game did you like in Round 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have to force yourself to believe your own dribble?
I don’t know a lot but this is something I know a little bit about.
Trevor Keogh used to kick the ball that hard and straight in lane work he’d hurt your chest if you didn’t mark it out in front and if you didn’t judge it bye bye fingers....I know because he busted mine when I was 16....every one of his kicks had same power, same height and the most beautiful spin but in games under pressure he’d spray some...that’s how hard it is to kick at speed at that level.
Guys that were ordinary stayed ordinary but they had good days and bad days and that’s what to expect from Dow.
Now I’m really sick of talking about it!
As I said I’m not wasting any more time on it.

I agree Bolts has adapted because last year and the year before he directed the team to go through the guts and even trialled in the JLT this year but the troops are not quite that advanced. Looked great when it came off but hurt the s**t out of us on the turnover.

So a need to play defensive style game. We have 4 HUGE, altheletic, marking talls …. why not try to exploit an apparantly dying gameplan of boundary line meteres?? Harry took some monster one on ones on the wing.

Seemed feasible to me.

Again I say the defensive portion of the game was won in spades. Jones, Weiters, Marchy, Daisy, Simmo and Plow all contributed to keep the score under 60 points.

Bolts needs this to work every week, to hone the forward of centre offensive play, because if he can't rely on these back 6 holding the fort, yet again the turnovers hurt.

Stoppage setups are a huge concern for me, way to defensive.

Its a chess game in progress, but when it clicks and the players learn to win …. those games will be won. Period.

we won 2/3 in the jlt didnt we?

almost beat the pies too

People need to get some perspective here, we are still missing some key pieces to the puzzle.

1. We are missing terribly our best half backs which is killing our ball movement out of defence and making us either go short or go long down the line, add Docherty and Willo to our back six our entire game changes completely, we now have run and dash from half back and can effectively attack through the corridor with precise ball use by hand and foot, other than that our defence is solid.

2. Our forward line has hardly played any football together at all and needs time to learn the right patterns to run and which players need to push up, and when, and which and how many need to stay back, this will come in time and we have seen glimpses already. Add a descent small forward to our team and better entries from the young mids and look out we will score heavily.

They must be given the time and space to learn and grow, this is the first year we have had the whole list together and we are missing key pieces still, notably our half backs, a small forward and of course another key component Kreuser in the ruck.
This crap about 20 years in the doldrums is irrelevant to our current situation which is we started from scratch both off field and on so the past has no bearing on this version of the club. They stated from the start it will take us at least 3 years to get the list we want, last years development was cruelled completely by injuries and that’s not an excuse it is a fact, we are now close to having the list we want and all of a sudden we are going to scrap the plan we had in place because of 4 close losses, seriously is that who we are as people and as a football club, we hit one hurdle in our plan and we just give up and throw all that work out the door.

Seriously people take a breath I know it is frustrating and disheartening to keep losing but we have to hang in there and stick to the plan at least until we have all the pieces on the field and have given them a chance to play together for more than a half a dozen games, I’m telling you now you add in Doc and Willo we will look a different side coming out of defence and attacking the forward 50.
Give the forwards and there new forwards coach more than 4 games to prove themselves, patience now will show dividends in the near future I am sure of it.

But if we start carrying on and calling for change the media will tear us to pieces and we will have no one to blame but ourselves, because as the witch Caro said “this isn’t our concerns this is a reflection of what the Carlton supporters are saying” and frankly she’s right, by carrying on like this we are forcing the media to act on our concerns, and in that Bolton is right we all have to be in this together and that means us as well sticking by the plan we all called for and wanted, not calling for change and carrying on like we barrack for a team that has only ever won 1 premiership, we have 16 the equal most and until that changes we are still the best team in the business so let’s act like it and stick together through this and reap the rewards of taking that 17th premiership before essenscum.

Bravo! So well put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re going to fix his running gait and then that’ll fix his kicking?
Couldn’t talk more nonsense if you tried.
He’s a s**t kick just accept it and get over it.
FMD I can’t believe the s**t some people spin!

I'm in two minds about his ability I've seen him kick some beautiful lace out passes to forwards on the burst and I've seen some absolute shockers as well...at this stage if inconsistency is a sign of being a s**t kick you are probably right - but ...he can kick it very well at times...maybe flukes maybe not..

Weitering had a huge flaw, he was soft at the contest. This year has seen that completely turn around. He's now physical and looks to be enjoying the tussle. If Weiters can turn into the beast that he now is then Dow can improve his disposal.

Weiters 2017-18 + Intensity + Agility = Weiters 2019 = AA Defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering had a huge flaw, he was young and finding his way while piling on muscle and getting strong, experienced and fit enough to take the heavy knocks of the sport. This year has seen that completely turn around. He's now physical and looks to be enjoying the tussle. If Weiters can turn into the beast that he now is then Dow can improve his disposal.
EFA

But if we start carrying on and calling for change the media will tear us to pieces and we will have no one to blame but ourselves, because as the witch Caro said “this isn’t our concerns this is a reflection of what the Carlton supporters are saying” and frankly she’s right, by carrying on like this we are forcing the media to act on our concerns

This is the only part of this excellent post I disagree with. The media collectively don't care about our "concerns". They're just sharks ready for a feeding frenzy and the bleating and wailing from some of our "supporters" is blood in the water to them.

What a cynical, disingenuous remark by Caro, as if she gives a flying **** about how Carlton supporters are feeling.

Last edited:
I'm in two minds about his ability I've seen him kick some beautiful lace out passes to forwards on the burst and I've seen some absolute shockers as well...at this stage if inconsistency is a sign of being a s**t kick you are probably right - but ...he can kick it very well at times...maybe flukes maybe not..
That’s the way it is and it’s what I’ve been trying to say, he’s going to be hit and miss his whole career. As he gets more experience he’ll learn when and when not too attempt kicks outside his scope thus improving efficiency but forget about him turning into Gary Ablett.

That’s the way it is and it’s what I’ve been trying to say, he’s going to be hit and miss his whole career. As he gets more experience he’ll learn when and when not too attempt kicks outside his scope thus improving efficiency but forget about him turning into Gary Ablett.

The best/most consistent players are the ones that embrace their limitations

He can do a lot of damage as a burst through congestion and clearances player - which (currently) is his key strength - he has shown some ability to run more than just straight lines with ball in hand as well - developing kids are often at a loss as to what to do when they find clear air around them and quite often under estimate how much time they really have - I've seen the same in Pickett who is another level up as far as run goes - they need time on field against AFL players to understand their strengths and limitations - composure.

SPS is almost the opposite - a bit too 'composed' when he could be running a bit harder and longer with ball in hand - and Walsh seems to know exactly how to pace himself in any situation.

He can do a lot of damage as a burst through congestion and clearances player - which (currently) is his key strength - he has shown some ability to run more than just straight lines with ball in hand as well - developing kids are often at a loss as to what to do when they find clear air around them and quite often under estimate how much time they really have - I've seen the same in Pickett who is another level up as far as run goes - they need time on field against AFL players to understand their strengths and limitations - composure.

SPS is almost the opposite - a bit too 'composed' when he could be running a bit harder and longer with ball in hand - and Walsh seems to know exactly how to pace himself in any situation.
Your right I probably phrased that part wrong I should have said they are using our concerns as an excuse to go after Bolton and the club, which they are and which they have done for the last 18 years since the salary cap breach’s. But my point was we have to stay on board, and as annoying as it is, we almost have to stay on message just as Bolton and the club have till now otherwise they use our own internal concerns to tear us down again. Bound By Blue

Just quietly, could last weekend's game be the beginning of something special, a Carlton / Gold Coast rivalry, as both teams climb up the ladder together?

Back