Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down to Saints by 3 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Supposedly it was supposed to help his outside game. I don't see him doing anything this year he couldn't do last year, so in that case I'd rather him have the extra 3 or so kg he lost.
He was the best player in the game last year, unlucky not to win the brownlow. if it aint broke, don't fix it.

He's the best inside midfielder in the comp by an absolute mile, if you want to add a string to his bow rest him down forward more often (which they are coincidentally doing).

trying to be too clever with this one imo.

He was the best player in the game last year, unlucky not to win the brownlow. if it aint broke, don't fix it.

He's the best inside midfielder in the comp by an absolute mile, if you want to add a string to his bow rest him down forward more often (which they are coincidentally doing).

trying to be too clever with this one imo.
Incidentally, those extra 3 or so kegs could help him up forward.

I'm not sure why they've been reluctant to play him forward, it's been talked about for years but outside of drifting forward in play now and then very rarely has he actually been played as a deep forward 1v1. The weekend was the first time I can remember it happening to be honest.

In any case, that's a better thing to try and dropping weight imo. At 195cm with ground ball ability of a small mid he's a matchup nightmare. Do they take a key defender off McGovern, McKay or Casboult? Or just back the 4th defender to go 1v1 with Patrick bleeping Cripps? If so, good luck with that.

Last edited:
Cripps was bullying teams in 2015 before he had properly bulked up, I doubt that is the reason for his form slump.
nor do I. I preferred bigger Cripps though.

his attitude in the 2nd half (had genuine fire in his eyes) is when he is the best player in the comp. Absolutely unstoppable doing everything at full tilt, dat running snap on his left. Breaking tackles, taking marks, took Steele to the cleaners.

Sometimes though.. maybe... just maybe.. he has a bit of a sulk and drops his head...

*runs and hides*.

absolutely - not saying its not warranted at all. he gets zero help from teammates and gets climbed on at contests. i'd crack the sads too.
He has a propensity to give away petulant free kicks at times. Dragging someone to ground hard despite clearly getting rid of the ball, things like that.

In his mind I'm sure it's something like "You can hold me off the ball, well when I get a chance to tackle you I will go for it, and hard" and sometimes he gets a little reckless in those moments.

I don't think sulk is the right word, but his head-space can be changed somewhat in some instances. He doesn't complain to umpires or whinge, he just gets distracted a little. Maybe if he did whinge to umpires or throw his hands in the air he'd get some of those free kicks. I'm glad he doesn't, though, I would be embarrassed if did a Dangerfield and flings his arms in the air any time someone impedes him just a little bit.

Last edited:
He gets molested at the contest. A coach like Clarkson would be banging on about it in the media to make sure the umpires had a second look.
saw how well that worked for the hawks on the weekend......

I've re-watched the game with a calmer. cooler head here are some thoughts.

We weren't as bad as I thought. :oops: Some players had shockers but mostly I want to apologise to Docherty - not that he would care what I think.:) I was really harsh on him. Was again one of our better players and certainly didn't lower his colors.
Martin is a revelation and will be great to watch over the next 5-10 years. Seriously classy and hopefully he keeps it up.
Setterfield and Williamson are both building. They will have break out games soon. Some posters very, very harsh on Plowman. I think he is great.
Having said that my thoughts haven't changed on McGovern or Ed Curnow. Newnes isn't adding much unfortunately, needs to go.
Casboult and Jones had shockers. Casboult missed goal in the 1st was a killer.
Cripps - just play the ball. Ignore everything going on around you and hopefully the umpires will start to pay those frees for you. Just play the ball - you're that good when you do and can't be stopped!!! Please get your kicking for goal right. Again missed a crucial in the 3rd.
Our midfield rotations where better then I thought. Setterfield, Cuningham and Martin in particular in the center bounces were great to watch.
Our backline with SpS and Simmo was monstered by the Aints players. They have some serious size on them compared to us. This is an issue that needs addressing. I feel if we can get Marchbank up and running that will allow Plowy and Willy to play on the smaller/mid size mids and alleviate the size difference.

If we had kicked that goal late in the 3rd quarter when we had all the play, instead of them getting an easy one against the flow, this game would have ended differently and they will not beat us next time - as long as we come to play. It's obvious during the game we lose concentration and structure and the opposition punish us too easily. Must fix. Also, terrible start in the 4th quarter by us, which was disappointing and the umpiring, especially for some reason when the game was up for grabs late in the 3rd - horrendous against us.

Anyway worth watching the game again with a cooler head. We aren't that far off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We weren't as bad as I thought. :oops: Some players had shockers but mostly I want to apologise to Docherty - not that he would care what I think.:) I was really harsh on him. Was again one of our better players and certainly didn't lower his colors.
Martin is a revelation and will be great to watch over the next 5-10 years. Seriously classy and hopefully he keeps it up.
Setterfield and Williamson are both building. They will have break out games soon. Some posters very, very harsh on Plowman. I think he is great.
Having said that my thoughts haven't changed on McGovern or Ed Curnow. Newnes isn't adding much unfortunately, needs to go.
Cripps - just play the ball. Ignore everything going on around you and hopefully the umpires will start to pay those frees for you. Just play the ball - you're that good when you do and can't be stopped!!! Please get your kicking for goal right. Again missed a crucial in the 3rd.
Our midfield rotations where better then I thought. Setterfield, Cuningham and Martin in particular in the center bounces were great to watch.
Our backline with SpS and Simmo was monstered by the Aints players. They have some serious size on them compared to us. This is an issue that needs addressing. I feel if we can get Marchbank up and running that will allow Plowy and Willy to play on the smaller/mid size mids and alleviate the size difference.

If we had kicked that goal late in the 3rd quarter when we had all the play, instead of them getting an easy one against the flow, this game would have ended differently and they will not beat us next time - as long as we come to play. It's obvious during the game we lose concentration and structure and the opposition punish us too easily. Must fix. Also, terrible start in the 4th quarter by us, which was disappointing and the umpiring, especially for some reason when the game was up for grabs late in the 3rd - horrendous against us.

Anyway worth watching the game again with a cooler head. We aren't that far off.
I must admit I didn't understand where the vitriol and doom and gloom was coming from.

We had our characteristic slow start but worked into the game. We weren't able to come back like against Melbourne because the Saints are a good team. Cripps and Doc weren't as bad as people think, either. Cripps finished the game the highest rated player in the game fwiw. I didn't think he was BoG, but apparently stats say he was - I'm not going to argue that.

The only part I was really down on was the performance of our tall forwards - McKay, McGov and Cas were so poor and it's probably why we lost the game. Cas especially, he was pumped up all week as the second best power forward in the comp after Dixon (who ironically was also poor this week) and didn't offer a whimper.

I must admit I didn't understand where the vitriol and doom and gloom was coming from.

We had our characteristic slow start but worked into the game. We weren't able to come back like against Melbourne because the Saints are a good team. Cripps and Doc weren't as bad as people think, either. Cripps finished the game the highest rated player in the game fwiw. I didn't think he was BoG, but apparently stats say he was - I'm not going to argue that.

The only part I was really down on was the performance of our tall forwards - McKay, McGov and Cas were so poor and it's probably why we lost the game. Cas especially, he was pumped up all week as the second best power forward in the comp after Dixon (who ironically was also poor this week) and didn't offer a whimper.
Very harsh on Levi.

I think that was the key. We all got a little excited and 'pumped' for this game. For us to fail after such expectations, it probably affected us more than we thought. I have to admit, I felt it in a way I hadn't previously for a while, a long while. Not sure that is a good thing as I am in my 50's now...:oops:

ps. that goodness for wfh. We can multitask.

Coaches' Votes

10 -
Jack Steele (STK)
7 - Rowan Marshall (STK)
4 - Jack Billings (STK)
4 - Nick Coffield (STK)
2 - Jack Martin (CARL)
2 - Liam Jones (CARL)
1 -
Callum Wilkie (STK)

Coaches' Votes

10 -
Jack Steele (STK)
7 - Rowan Marshall (STK)
4 - Jack Billings (STK)
4 - Nick Coffield (STK)
2 - Jack Martin (CARL)
2 - Liam Jones (CARL)
1 -
Callum Wilkie (STK)

Pretty interesting considering one of the coaches didn't give Jack Martin any votes...was clearly our best for mine...

If only more posters would take another look with a calmer head. Well played, SB.

If only more posters would take another look with a calmer head. Well played, SB.

Oh Thy, the “melts” on this forum are extraordinary.
I’m reasonably new to the site, and it is frightening how negative so many posters are.
I get the frustrations - and I can be as exasperated as any when we play abysmal footy - but the calls for everyone to be sacked and that everyone in Navy Blue is a “spud” are not helpful.
Not that anyone of influence at CFC reads this forum, but I prefer some calm and rational assessment of what is and isn’t working to the rants of petulant children so typical on here.

We're definitely not far off...Saints are a pretty damn good team at Marvel, they beat Richmond & the Dogs comfortably in pretty much the exact same way.

In the end we only lost by 3 goals despite:
  • Us having another poor start...we actually outscored them in the last 3 quarters
  • Wrong end of some pretty harsh ump calls (not the reason we lost, but didn't help)
  • Us giving away cheap goals - Jones x 2 with poor switches really hurt us and killed our momentum and comeback in the 3rd. Martin, Cripps (free kicks from bumps after player had kicked the ball) & I believe Harry's 50m penalty all led to goals not directly, but at the end of the play from the free kick.
  • A number of players having poor games below their usual standard - Cripps (first half), Doc (tagged out), Casboult (shocker), Jones (2 turnover goals), Weitering (beaten by King), Pittonet (beaten by Marshall), Gov & Harry (no influence), Willo & Newnes (some poor disposals and decisions) etc

Oh Thy, the “melts” on this forum are extraordinary.
I’m reasonably new to the site, and it is frightening how negative so many posters are.
I get the frustrations - and I can be as exasperated as any when we play abysmal footy - but the calls for everyone to be sacked and that everyone in Navy Blue is a “spud” are not helpful.
Not that anyone of influence at CFC reads this forum, but I prefer some calm and rational assessment of what is and isn’t working to the rants of petulant children so typical on here.

People get emotional. You must remember normally you have the ride home or a good beer or 2 after the game to release the frustration before commenting on BF. All of us are currently at home and on BF while watching the game.........guess what you get - boil over and as with me, European blood boiling!

Having said that, I was truly surprised by what I missed when I looked at this game again. I must have really been.either desperate for us to finally take that next step and get some respect or drunk. I know I wasn’t drunk.....

Anyhow you live and learn as they say. I’m going to try and stay away from posting directly after a game on bigfooty.. Unless of course it’s a win.

We're definitely not far off...Saints are a pretty damn good team at Marvel, they beat Richmond & the Dogs comfortably in pretty much the exact same way.

In the end we only lost by 3 goals despite:
  • Us having another poor start...we actually outscored them in the last 3 quarters
  • Wrong end of some pretty harsh ump calls (not the reason we lost, but didn't help)
  • Us giving away cheap goals - Jones x 2 with poor switches really hurt us and killed our momentum and comeback in the 3rd. Martin, Cripps (free kicks from bumps after player had kicked the ball) & I believe Harry's 50m penalty all led to goals not directly, but at the end of the play from the free kick.
  • A number of players having poor games below their usual standard - Cripps (first half), Doc (tagged out), Casboult (shocker), Jones (2 turnover goals), Weitering (beaten by King), Pittonet (beaten by Marshall), Gov & Harry (no influence), Willo & Newnes (some poor disposals and decisions) etc

Agree with all this. :clapping:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back